2»

Replies

• ndvoice
    ndvoice Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    ladipoet wrote: »
    ndvoice wrote: »
    My sodium averages 1200 a day.

This is definitely not anywhere near enough salt on a daily basis! Like so many others here have already suggested, I strongly encourage you to double or preferably triple this amount! Your body will thank you.

I enjoyed some yummy olives & a cup of broth this evening. Up around 3000 for today now. Thank you all for your advice. Hoping after a good nights sleep I'll feel more balanced tomorrow.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    So, yeah, low carb causes ketones. Ketones cause sodium loss. Sodium loss causes reduced blood volume. Reduced blood volume can lead to headaches, light-headedness, fatigue, etc. I.e., the keto flu.

This right here needs to be included in any info we have in the files for "Keto Flu And How To Avoid It!!!!!" Drummed down to the basics...
  • ndvoice
    Options
    Thank you all! I feel better today - not 100%, but a lot better. I moved my training appointment from today to Saturday. Bummer, but weightlifting when shaky is probably not a good idea lol. Already had my broth today & will be salting dinner. Will also pick up potassium supplement. For now, I had a banana. (I know - lots of carbs)
    Lots of fluids today too. Hoping to have my strength back tomorrow so I can attack some cardio!
    I did reach out to my trainer and let her know I thought my electrolytes were off (week, dizzy, low blood pressure). She said to start using salt too. Not sure why she didn't have me using salt already, but we'll discuss it on Saturday!

Thanks again to all of you! ❤️
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    One more thing worth mentioning. If you lose too much sodium, your body tries to hang onto what's left and starts wasting potassium instead. So if you were low on sodium for 3 weeks, you're doing the right thing by adding some potassium. I don't supplement, but I do seek out high-potassium foods, like avocados.

Keep trying the weightlifting, but take it slowly. Eventually you'll find your groove, and you'll feel better than ever.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Avocado would give you more potassium than a banana without all the sugar
    Here's a comparison. Whoever said "Bananas are the perfect food" is an idiot.
    93g9fr3j4nn9.jpeg

These are both 100 gram servings.
  • ndvoice
    Options
    Avocado would give you more potassium than a banana without all the sugar
    Here's a comparison. Whoever said "Bananas are the perfect food" is an idiot.
    93g9fr3j4nn9.jpeg

These are both 100 gram servings.

Wow! I even googled for potassium rich foods & didn't find advocado. Good to know. I love advocado & will pick some up. Thanks!

• deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Brilliant. I occasionally buy them, but I need to get better at knowing when they are ripe. They are no good under-ripe or over-ripe I have discovered.... lol.
  • Lucille4444
    Lucille4444 Posts: 284 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    It's not beyond the realm of possibility that you actually had the flu.
  • ndvoice
    Options
    It's not beyond the realm of possibility that you actually had the flu.

No stomach issues, no head cold symptoms....so I don't think it's a virus. No symptoms other than dizzy & achy, with low blood pressure.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    Ah phooey. I type something out but MFP ate it.

I've been looking at your diary. I'm usually the obnoxious elecrolyte-pusher. But is it possible you are not eating enough calories?

I'm unsure of your stats, other that you are in your 30s like me. Input them in the keto calc (google: ankerl keto calc) and check out what comes out. If the electrolytes aren't helping enough, undereating may be your issue. I don't recommend anything larger than a 20% deficit. I personally stick around 15%. There is such a thing as undereating. And that can set you back, too, and make you feel dizzy and weak. Sneaking in extra fats in dips and cooking is fairly simple and an easy way to nudge your calories up to an appropriate number. Avocados. mayo, and sour cream are higher in cal and fat and are yummy in dips.

If your 15-20% deficit is indeed 1300cals or under, then I suppose you can disregard this advice. Your daily goal says 1640, but there are some days where you don't even reach 1200. Undereating plus exercise....well I've done it on accident before, and I though I was going to pass out. Misery barely staggering around on 2 legs.

Hope you are feeling better soon. :smile:
  • noclady1995
    noclady1995 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    This thread is really helping me. I just started trying to eat keto 2 days ago and I think the keto "flu" has set in. I'm feeling the nausea and brain fog which started last night. Hoping it doesn't last too long because it's not fun. Had my broth this morning and started potassium supplements yesterday. Also trying to drink lots of water.
  • nicintime
    nicintime Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on a new beginning!

Don't forget magnesium citrate (you can get it online)!

Salt and more salt. Broth is good, but I thought I was getting enough salt and I wasn't. Started salting till I noticed and even taking a pinch of the Himalayas salt just straight and it helped a lot!
    Good luck, and keto on! the next few days you should feel a difference.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    The salt tablets have really helped me. I don't wait to feel bad before taking them. I know at first I had a boost of energy within 30 minutes or so. I was cleaning house like crazy (even baseboards!) With the energy. Now I just feel good! Salt is vital to well being with this woe! And as was mentioned, potassium is important as well as magnesium. Finding the balance that works for you is super important! I'm right at eight months into this woe and am still adjusting! Hang in there! Hope you're feeling better! :smiley: