Net Carbs vs. Total Carbs

Options
lithezebra
lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
Do you subtract the grams of insoluble fiber you eat from your total carbs, or just count your total carbs? I realize that soluble fiber can be at least partially digested.

Replies

• Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I watch both figures, and tend to use the net value.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    Options
    Check my brief info-post on the matter.
    The whole issue of "net" vs "total" carbs is one upon which there is a VERY wide difference of opinion.

The practice of counting “net” carbs works this way. Simply, you take the total carbohydrate count of a food and subtract the dietary fiber and/or the sugar alcohols. The rationale behind this is threefold. First, dietary fiber is widely believed to be indigestible. Dietary fiber is composed of cellulose, and humans, unlike some other creatures, cannot process them. And if this is so, then since it is not digestible, then it doesn't affect blood glucose levels, so it doesn't count. Secondly, sugar alcohols are believed to not be around long enough to affect blood sugar either, so they do not count. Thirdly, some use the motivation of subtracting the fiber to encourage themselves to eat more fiber-rich foods. To them, a better choice in carbs means they can eat more carbs.

Plans like Atkins, some ketogenic diets, and others allow for the subtraction of these two elements. However, like with anything, human beings are different. This is where the difference of opinion hinges. Different foods have been shown to have different results in individuals, sometimes in how it affects blood glucose. There have been instances when a high-fiber food does indeed cause a blood sugar spike and sugar alcohols linger long enough to do so as well. Some people have also recognized stalls in their weight loss as a result of consuming sugar alcohols in their diets.

As a result of this, many low-carb eaters prefer to count “total” carbs instead. The rationale being: “carbohydrates are carbohydrates.” Also, many view foods made with sugar alcohols as unacceptable in their diet, because they are only found in highly processed foods. Many of this camp prefer to keep “real foods” (aka unprocessed foods) in their diets.

So Who Is Right?
    As with so many other topics you encounter in the low-carb communities, it depends on who you ask, and it depends on how your body responds. Do the research on your foods and their ingredients, and choose which method seems right for you. Keep tabs on the affects of your approach on your body, and then make the decision whether or not to stay with your chosen carb-counting method, or decide to change to another.

How Do I Calculate Net Carbs
    Quite simply take your total carb count and subtract the dietary fiber and the sugar alcohols (if you decide to incorporate these in your diet.)
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10057456/so-which-is-it-total-carbs-or-net-carbs

HTH. :smile:
  • LadyMcClure
    LadyMcClure Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do subtract my fiber. Net carbs for me but not everyone agrees. Net carbs has not hindered my weight loss at all.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I think I'd likely focus on net carbs, because psychologically or otherwise it would encourage me to seek out vegetables. :)
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I only count net carbs if I'm eating veggies or something like chia seeds. I don't subtract sugar alcohols at all. So, I'm kind of like 45 grams total carbs, 30 grams net carbs, are my hard limits, though I prefer to be a good clip under both.
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    Keep it simple.
    Total carbs.
    No fuss, no muss.

>:) OR o:)
  • Couchpotato39
    Couchpotato39 Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Net carbs.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Net carbs, always subtract fiber, subtract sugar alcohols on holidays and during pms
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Net carbs, always subtract fiber, subtract sugar alcohols on holidays and during pms

*snickers* If I'm having a rough day, I'll subtract the extra stuff sometimes too...just to help banish guilt. LOL Being a hormonal woman bites, doesn't it?
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    @baconslave, sugar alcohols are new to me as a factor in low carb eating. Do they occur naturally in fruit, in significant amounts?

@Sabine_Stroehm, yes, eating more vegetables is my motivation too.