Coconut Oil

Judy533
Judy533 Posts: 5 Member
I purchased both Organic Virgin and Organic Refined. Which is better? Or are they the same? Thanks.

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    Refined has been processed and removes out the "flavor." You also lose a few minor nutrients. I'd probably use the refined for cooking, and the virgin anywhere the taste would be awesome. I started using only refined because I don't like the taste of coconut, but I use virgin now quite often. I find that my memory of sweetened coconut junk doesn't come close to the scent/taste of coconut oil. I still can't do it in huge quantity, but it's tolerable otherwise.

Just remember to start slowly on quantity and stay near a bathroom until you know how you react to it.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Ditto what @KnitorMiss said. I'm not a big fan of the flavor of coconut, yet I use virgin all the time because to me the flavor is so mild that it is easily disguised by other flavors of whatever you are adding it to.
  • nicintime
    nicintime Posts: 381 Member
    Refined is better for cooking (tolerates higher tempo better) but I fry eggs in unrefined no problem.

I heard that bleach and other chemicals are used in the refining process, though I should probably confirm that via the Google machine.

I started with refined (on sale!) and then went with unrefined for purity. I use it mainly as morning rocket fuel in my bulletproof coffee. The direct fuel should be pure, no? :-)
  • SuesNewImage
    SuesNewImage Posts: 743 Member
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

Just remember to start slowly on quantity and stay near a bathroom until you know how you react to it.

Very timely you have this hint. Increased coconut oil in last 2 days (& that's all I've changed) & tummy is upset today - not feeling normal so will watch this.