Interesting article about drinking milk

Options
quiltnutty
quiltnutty Posts: 45 Member
http://anonhq.com/harvard-scientist-urges-people-to-stop-drinking-low-fat-milk/

By: Mike Barrett, Natural Society.

Vegans may have had it right all along; while raw, organic milk offers numerous health benefits, a Harvard researcher and pediatrician argues that conventional milk and dairy products alike are a detriment to your health – thanks to added health-compromising sweeteners.

As David Ludwig mentioned in his research, which was published in the Journal of the American Medical Association Pediatrics, there have been countless pieces of research concluding the ill effects of sugar-sweetened beverages. The over-consumption of sugar has been tied to obesity, diabetes, inflammatory-related pain, and much more. And because of sugar’s negative effects on our health, even the United States Department of Agriculture, the American Academy of Pediatrics, and other organizations are recommending against consuming calories from sugary drinks.

The one calorie-containing beverage they still heavily promote, however, is reduced-fat milk, where the organization recommends drinking 3 cups daily. This is where Ludwig questions the scientific rationale for such recommendations.

“This recommendation to drink three cups a day of milk – it’s perhaps the most prevailing advice given to the American public about diet in the last half century. As a result, Americans are consuming billions of gallons of milk a year, presumably under the assumption that their bones would crumble without them,” says David Ludwig.

As far as Ludwig is concerned, if the USDA is recommending to drink reduced-fat milk, it is also inadvertently encouraging the consumption of added sugars – a piece of advice that goes against all the research saying not to consume sugar and sugar-sweetened beverages. The idea of consuming low-fat milk or chocolate milk cancels out the whole reasoning for the recommendation in the first place since the fats are simply being replaced with dangerous sugars.

“The worst possible situation is reduced-fat chocolate milk: you take out the fat, it’s less tasty. So to get kids to drink 3 cups a day, you get this sugar-sweetened beverage,” Ludwig says. ”…we can get plenty of calcium from a whole range of foods. On a gram for gram basis, cooked kale has more calcium than milk. Sardines, nuts seeds beans, green leafy vegetables are all sources of calcium.”

Replies

• AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Milk is nasty anyways. Wonder who ever thought to suck on the teet of another mammal lol
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    More proof of the idiocy of it all! I'm so glad I am here, tucked in to the wagon!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I'm not a milk fan either, but cheese.... Bless those who figured out cheese!
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I drink milk. But it's the raw, very fatty milk from ym own goats.
  • nvmomketo
    Options

I wish we could find some raw milk. I buy full fat milk that isn't emulsified, but finding raw milk is impossible in our city. :(
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I have thought about getting a few milk goats but since we do not have barns/fences it would be expensive plus I do not drink milk due to the carbs. I buy Heavy Whipping Cream typically a gallon at a time, cottage cheese and hard cheese mainly for myself.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

I wish we could find some raw milk. I buy full fat milk that isn't emulsified, but finding raw milk is impossible in our city. :(

Check craigslist for raw milk, people sell it for orphan animals and such.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

Check craigslist for raw milk, people sell it for orphan animals and such.

That's an idea.... But then am I taking milk from babies? ;)
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    What do they mean by calling reduced fat milk a sugar sweetened beverage?

I like full fat dairy products, but for people who are eating a high carb diet, reduced fat milk might be a good choice. I used to have it in my lattes, and I never added sugar. Ick.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,049 Member
    Options
    In Canada it's illegal to sell raw milk. I did have a raw dairy share for a while though illegally, but we lost it due to the government stepping in to shut down the tiny operation. The milk was great, with cream rising to the top, tasted great, but I mainly wanted a share of the cow to get a share of the fresh soft cheese and butter, yum! We stopped buying milk completely when we lost the dairy share. At that point we had almost given up milk though. But I sure miss the raw butter and cheese. I wasn't Keto then, sure would be nice now. Good luck to anyone in Canada finding raw dairy!
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    Kitnthecat wrote: »
    In Canada it's illegal to sell raw milk. I did have a raw dairy share for a while though illegally, but we lost it due to the government stepping in to shut down the tiny operation. The milk was great, with cream rising to the top, tasted great, but I mainly wanted a share of the cow to get a share of the fresh soft cheese and butter, yum! We stopped buying milk completely when we lost the dairy share. At that point we had almost given up milk though. But I sure miss the raw butter and cheese. I wasn't Keto then, sure would be nice now. Good luck to anyone in Canada finding raw dairy!

Aw... well, that would explain why I can't find it. LOL

We tend to buy Avalon full fat milk in the bottle. It actually gets a cream plug on occasion and my hubby prefers it. He would love raw milk... I haven't had that for at least 35 years.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    It's illegal to sell raw milk here in California too.....but it's available.
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I get to France a lot and french supermarkets are something else! I could actually find raw milk there, and they've got a huge selection of cheese from raw milk too.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,049 Member
    Options
    I can find raw cheese in Canada, in fact bought some yesterday, but can't get raw milk, cream and butter.
  • monikker
    monikker Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I've read this article before, it's talking about sugar added to milk...which none of the regular milks have whether they're full fat or non fat. Sugar is still 12 g each. So don't be a moron and buy low fat chocolate milk lol. Anyway, everyone thinks this means they add sugar to the regular white milk which they don't. Raw dairy sounds really good but I don't know that I've had it before, it's illegal in my state as well.