What to do in rain?

Options
iremb13
iremb13 Posts: 1 Member
This may be a stupid question, is it wrong to go walking/jogging in light rain? I'm new to C25K, I want to keep up with the programme but I don't want to catch a cold or anything. It wouldn't be a problem if I wear layers, right? (Yes, I'm seeking some reassurance.)

Replies

• samra338
    samra338 Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with jogging in light rain; it's quite refreshing! Layer up if it is cold.
  • brb2008
    brb2008 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I just ran into this little 'road block' the other day. I live in the Pacific Northwest so if I want to keep my running outdoors, which I do because I like it more than inside, I need to be prepared!

So I bought a super cute headband to keep my ears warm and I am looking for a simple visor to keep the rain off my face. I have a light sweater but it's not working so I'm looking for an athletic jacket that will hopefully breathe better. I'm not too worried about getting sick, exercise boosts immunity to a degree and fresh air is amazing. Plus cold weather giving you a virus is an old wives tale. You get viral colds from contact with the cold virus, not just cold air :)
  • sarahredhaira
    sarahredhaira Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I've only just started the programme, so haven't tried running in the rain yet. I usually wear my glasses to run as I go out first thing in the morning, before I've put my lenses in. Any tips for glasses/lense wearers running in the rain?
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I think i visor might help. and maybe the antifog stuff i heard about.
    I just ran in rain, flurries, wind and cold.
    layers are good. less cotton the better as it seems to chafe more.
    I have headband that covers my ear. light jacket, warm leggings and socks, gloves. I think i need a scarf and then i'm good

nothing wrong with running in rain or snow so long as you keep safe, warm, and visible.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    I think i visor might help. and maybe the antifog stuff i heard about.
    I just ran in rain, flurries, wind and cold.
    layers are good. less cotton the better as it seems to chafe more.
    I have headband that covers my ear. light jacket, warm leggings and socks, gloves. I think i need a scarf and then i'm good

nothing wrong with running in rain or snow so long as you keep safe, warm, and visible.

This
  • MimiOfTheLusciousLawn
    MimiOfTheLusciousLawn Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    brb2008 wrote: »
    I just ran into this little 'road block' the other day. I live in the Pacific Northwest so if I want to keep my running outdoors, which I do because I like it more than inside, I need to be prepared!

So I bought a super cute headband to keep my ears warm and I am looking for a simple visor to keep the rain off my face. I have a light sweater but it's not working so I'm looking for an athletic jacket that will hopefully breathe better. I'm not too worried about getting sick, exercise boosts immunity to a degree and fresh air is amazing. Plus cold weather giving you a virus is an old wives tale. You get viral colds from contact with the cold virus, not just cold air :)

I picked up a really cute C9 hat at Target, stretchy, wicking, enough of a visor to keep the rain and snow off without impeding vision. All their C9 athletic apparel is 25% off thru 10/31.
  • mbaker566
    Options
    brb2008 wrote: »

I picked up a really cute C9 hat at Target, stretchy, wicking, enough of a visor to keep the rain and snow off without impeding vision. All their C9 athletic apparel is 25% off thru 10/31.

were you the one who mentioned the cheap saucony jacket? i think you are a bad influence on my bank account
  • MimiOfTheLusciousLawn
    Options
    Oh no, that wasn't me... where?!!
  • mbaker566
    Options
    Oh no, that wasn't me... where?!!

Amazon. 22 dollars for an extra large in aqua
  • MimiOfTheLusciousLawn
    Options
    Oooooh checking that out!
  • Gojog0
    Gojog0 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My advice would be to be visible and remember you have to be more careful because it's harder for drivers to see you with their windows all wet and maybe foggy. Otherwise have fun! Running in the rain is soooo invigorating! You may be a little cold to start with but if you do it enough you will see at some point you start to warm up (for me it's about the 1.5-2 km mark) same in the snow.