C25K for the obese

Options
Hi,

I love running and would adore to get back into it soon. I'm losing weight at the moment but am still very very overweight and very very very unfit. I'm starting with walking every day this week. Any tips for starting running at this weight?

Replies

• Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Keep walking. When you can comfortably walk over 30 minutes at a brisk pace, then start C25k.
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Just_Ceci wrote: »
    Keep walking. When you can comfortably walk over 30 minutes at a brisk pace, then start C25k.

Exactly this. Start walking, and keep walking. If you try a c25k and find that you end up with lots of joint pain from the impact, you can always go back to walking until your body is ready.

I found that I had to keep walking for quite a while before I began to run, not because my stamina wasn't there, but because my body couldn't take the impact of my size slamming down onto my hips/knees/ankles with every step, so don't be discouraged if it takes time :smile:
  • MimiOfTheLusciousLawn
    MimiOfTheLusciousLawn Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    I say try it! I started running at 345#. It wasn't my bad knees or hips that gave me trouble, it was building up my endurance. Now I continue to amaze myself with how far I can go and how good it feels (after the first half mile or so!). If it hurts, back down to walking. Wait a week and try it again. It'll come! Good luck to you!
  • martinbeks
    martinbeks Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Just_Ceci wrote: »

Thanks for this. I think this is exactly what I need to do. It hurts too much to try running, even at a 3.5 pace right now. :-)
  • travelgirl77
    travelgirl77 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I started the program at 227 and this week I will be finishing and I am about 214, so still obese for my height. I will say that I run a lot slower than others may and if I needed to stop or repeat a day or week then I did. Just listen to your body. I soon got to the point where my body felt great and it became mental.
  • jrowden0711
    jrowden0711 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I too am in the obese category and attempting to complete the program for the second (or third?) time. I have found that my biggest barrier is the mental aspect. I feel embarrassed when I run and think people are judging, or I convince myself there is no way I can keep running so stop short of my running end time. Recently something clicked and I just stopped caring about others seeing me and have completed each time interval successfully.

I say do what works for you, whether that means walking regularly before starting the program or just running really slow. All that matters is you are out there and bettering your health. :-)
  • Nachoaguilar
    Nachoaguilar Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Where do I find the program?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Google
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options

There's quite a few apps that you can get for your smartphone (both free and paid ones) that have the program ready to go. I used one by a group called RunDouble which was simple and easy to use.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I used the one from zen labs

i ran in the really early in the morning so that I didn't see too many people. now, i don't care
  • Merrysix
    Merrysix Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I found some things to help the impact (I am still overweight, and have knee arthritis): I wear some great running shoes that have special cushioning called Hokas, and sometimes I use trekking poles when I hike or run -- when used correctly they actually take some of the impact so the research shows 30 percent less impact on joints. I first learned to use them when I hiked up Mount St. Helens, and we had to have them for stability, and now I use them whenever my knees hurt -- I know its a little unorthodox -- but if it works! (Try googleing trekking polls and you can learn a lot about them). I also alternative running with a lot of other exercises that are less joint impacting (like lifing weights and pilates for stretching).