What's your plan? One question for everyone and one just for moms.

Options
What's your plan for Halloween candy before, during, and after trick-or-treating time?

Separately, for the Moms: how do you handle your kids having a sack of sugar hanging around for weeks on end? Do they get one piece a night? All they want for a couple evenings and trash the rest? I'm honestly curious.

Replies

• SweetPeasMom55
    SweetPeasMom55 Posts: 3,385 Member
    Options
    Ok Halloween was and is my least favorite holiday. My daughter who is going to be 22 very soon was diagnosed with diabetes at 22 months old. So she got to dress up for school and the candy if she chose to give it to her friends was fine. That was the school party stuff. We didn't go trick or treating. I truly am against going door to door begging even if she wasn't a diabetic. So the deal was she could pick a treat book, cd, game usually under 15.00. Candy that came home got trashed I don't think I ever threw anything away I think she always gave it to her best friend on the bus cause his mom always laughed about it. I think when my daughter was 13 she asked to go out with her friends and I said ok but once again no candy came home. When she came home I asked if she had a good time and she said it was ok. She said she should have collected for a charity cause begging is begging.LOL

My sister has elementary kids and the deal is they get 10 pieces and the rest gets trashed.
  • FatSwatter
    FatSwatter Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Wow, reading this made me think of my childhood days. We never celebrated Halloween, our church did some family friendly activities but candy wasn't a big thing. If there was any (I don't remember) it was maybe a small handful and not a huge bucket kids carry around these days. We had hay rides, games like hit the bean bag on this lever to dunk a person or bobbing for apples, and pony rides. There were lots of fun carnival type family friendly games I remember.

I couldn't imagine having all that candy. I don't have kids but if I did, I would probably find a family friendly outing like my mom did. I think they'd have a lot of fun without being super uncomfortable too. Sometimes parents make their kids dress up in the most uncomfortable ways all for the sake of "being cute". I really dislike that when I see it because all I can think is "poor kid".

Candy is so expensive, I'm surprised people are just tossing it away. Seems to me the better choice would be to just not take it in the first place.

@2020pinktogo - I really like your idea of a treat book, cd, or game under $15. What a novel idea!!!
  • SenditToSarah
    SenditToSarah Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    ...this is shocking me. I had the whole giant sack of candy hanging in my room until it was gone...mom regulated when/how much I could have, but man...it was there for at least a month. Asked my husband: same for him.

Go on! More posts, please! This is intriguing! Also, for the giving--what do you give? How much do you buy? What do you do with the leftovers?
  • SweetPeasMom55
    SweetPeasMom55 Posts: 3,385 Member
    Options
    Ok when I lived in the village this was when I was actually pregnant with my daughter. We had about 500 trick or treaters. Our town has a time limit it's usually between 6-8pm just 2 hours. So everyone hits the village. Now I don't get anyone not enough neighbors and no sidewalks. So I give one of the elderly ladies 20 dollars towards candy as she is in the village and gets hit with the onslaught. But she only buys so much and she just turns off her light and leaves out the empty bowl. I gave out pop rocks I was the hit of the town that year and I gave the last group whatever I had left and turned out the light.

Now when I was a kid there was a party at the school we all attended in the gym there was prizes for best costume and just lots of games and then we had cider and donuts. that was it.