I did a Bad, Bad Thing..am so proud...Life Saving Nutrition for Kidney patients

Options
Apologies to the Chris Isaak, rockabilly crooner's song**….

As a kidney patient I beat my head against so much dismissive attitude by actual doctors and other CKD patients, over DIET & Nutrition. [Like the 2015 Dietary Guidelines Dr. Jeff Volek has a petition against..OLD studies are presented as fact, a for an entire NATION, and will help people sicken and die faster…]

I joined two FB kidney/dialysis groups…and was promptly booted out of one group by the hysterical Mods for making the suggestion patients ASK (challenge) their MDs for nutrition info..not just "accept the USDA high grain advice." Yes, kicked out in <48 hours..no warning. Cold. I'm such a troublemaker.

But I don't lose..the poor patients desperate to avoid dialysis another few months or even a few weeks will lose. "Follow the MD party line" is all that is permitted.

Thankfully I am USED to this type of dietary scaremongering groupthink after LCHF experience .

Here is the LATEST advice posted by the American Kidney Foundation.. I will quote the BEST (worst) part

"Kidney-Friendly Diet and Foods:Healthy Eating for People with Chronic Kidney Disease "
""Saturated fat, also known as “bad” fat, can raise your cholesterol level and put you at risk for heart disease. Examples of saturated fats include:
Butter - Lard - Shortening-Meats "
http://www.kidneyfund.org/kidney-disease/kidney-friendly-diet-ckd/?referrer=https://www.google.com/

Now, Dr. Jason Fung, Nephrologist (kidney doc) has already confirmed that high Saturated fats are not bad, (nor bad for kidneys!!) and yet MOST American docs must follow/give the low fat diatribe.

Here are a couple studies: BOTH support not only LCHF, but Saturated fats for KIDNEY HEALTH.
I posted this info in the group that HASN'T kicked me out yet..but the day is young!!!

High Fat, Low Carb Diet Beneficial for CKD Patients << that's 20+MILLION Americans
http://www.renalandurologynews.com/nutrition/high-fat-low-carb-diet-beneficial-for-ckd-patients/article/314032/

Saturated Fats and the Kidneys Posted on September 30, 2000 by Mary Enig, PhD
http://www.westonaprice.org/health-topics/saturated-fats-and-the-kidneys/
This is FIFTEEN year old info!!!! by a world expert (who was vilified and booted out of the club too)
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Why I am concerned: Fully 50% of (overweight) adults are expected to have diabetes by 2050..with more than 400K on dialysis NOW (plus 100,000 more illegal alien diaysis patients also added on top) ..with the COST of basic clinic diaysis 3x that for the same patient with a transplant, and 101,000+ waiting list for kidneys (many are CHILDREN, teens) and we are the MAIN country NOT using a low protein diet to REDUCE/DELAY dialysis… a diet proven to work.

Medicare expects dialysis to cost BILLIONS MORE ( >$15B now for just those 400K today) and ABSORB over half their total budget… with 70% of us already overweight, and diabetes rising, and 1 in 9 people already in Stage 2-4 kidney disease..yes SMART MOVE to dismiss nutrition. ( other than telling us to lower salt, potassium & phosphorous foods a bit) Right.

I could scream. But I just keep educating as much as I can. MOST International Renal Nutritionists, and Nephs are SOLD on the "stalling ability " of the right diet to save patients ..and use it today…. but not the USA.

the "take patent meds", and slowly sink in fear to (short, miserable, painful, exhausted) life hooked to a dialysis machine…. that is what we have. ( few new drugs or artificial kidneys in the pipeline)

I love my home county, but will never accept or defend this refusal of our medical system, while the rest of the world takes action, and saves the lives of their citizens.

+++++++++++

Chris Isaak
**https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7a35GnfPTc#t=21 "Baby did a bad bad thing"

Replies

• KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    It's great to stand up for what you know has helped you and could help others too! Even if you make just one person look into it you've done a great thing!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Now THAT was an excellent rant! :) More people will see and learn, despite what big brother says. Hang in there.
  • V_Keto_V
    V_Keto_V Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Guidelines are just guidelines...often they are written only for certain patient populations & ignore co-morbidities should they be present. They are approved/revised by experts in the field with a biased focus on that particular specialty.

For instance, NKF guidelines would not apply to someone with CKD, COPD, CHF, CAD, & T2DM. There is far too much overlap, 1 strategy or Treatment for CKD may be detrimental to the other disease states, for instance Thiazides diuretics will benefit CKD but worsen T2DM & CAD from being detrimental on blood glucose & triglycerides/cholesterol. In such a complex creature, someone must consider, which of these diseases is most poorly controlled or most detrimental to quality of life or mortality? Guidelines can not address this issue

Guidelines are rarely up to date & get revised only every few years (except ADA...seems like there is a new executive summary every year). Such experts must scrutinizingly go through literature & pull out recommendations based on level of evidence...for instance, an observational study with drug X improving mortality 5 years in disease state Y isn't taken as seriously as a RCT of drug Y delaying time to clinical worsening of disease Y state (say CHF stage 3 to 4).
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Thanks..

I look to Mary Enig, a brilliant 70s-80s researcher who saw the bad science being pushed about hydrogenated/poly/trans/soyoils. The oil people were lying about saturated fats!!!

She spoke up, was vilified and tossed out from her career, lost all funding, they ruined her!! (for a while only) she came back strong ..see the articles she wrote:
    http://www.westonaprice.org/Know-Your-Fats/

For me I can eat what I like, and no one can stop me, it is my body to save.

I feel obligated to keep trying to help other kidney patients, who, due to the rigid beliefs their doctors have will NEVER have a chance because they get NO CHOICE to even try. Feels criminal to me.

It's as if you were never allowed to learn about LCHF, told Keto was lie--ignore it..but only Americans believed this!!! and everyone else in the world lost weight easily following LCHF….

If YOU ALL could read the sobbing, desperate, panicky fears these poor CKD people write of knowing they MUST start with the painful needles, surgery, and hours of hook-up to noisy equipment, always thirsty, severe limits on fluid, and constant fatigue.. with 24% death rate the first 5 years….they look for ANYTHING to help… it is too bad a functional CKD diet is never taught them.

Most would have too hard a time to stick to this diet ..but it's their life..they at least deserve the information!!