Winter Training Challenges - Signup/Discussion Thread

Options

Replies

• jillyian
    jillyian Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I have to give a big huge KUDOS to ALL of you who do all the trainer rides...Especially anything over 100kms on a trainer. Great Job!!!!! it takes Motivation and Mental Toughness.....
    which you all obviously have!

Last time I got on a trainer I think was 2 years ago. I was miserable and i only stayed on it for maybe an hour. i do not have that kind of mental toughness
  • Spatialized
    Spatialized Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    m1xm0d3 wrote: »
    When ready, I'll volunteer as a tester. It will be just like work, but without the paycheck! :smirk:

Ditto. Very cool that you're willing to give it a go Jase!
  • m1xm0d3
    m1xm0d3 Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options
    jillyian wrote: »
    I have to give a big huge KUDOS to ALL of you who do all the trainer rides...Especially anything over 100kms on a trainer. Great Job!!!!! it takes Motivation and Mental Toughness.....
    which you all obviously have!

Last time I got on a trainer I think was 2 years ago. I was miserable and i only stayed on it for maybe an hour. i do not have that kind of mental toughness

As I pedal my hamster wheel, I look at your Strava photos with such jealousy. They all portray the feeling of perfect riding conditions. I mean, does it EVER rain there?!?! :wink: Yesterday was below freezing snow and sleet, today it's 50's. Shame it will be too dark to ride outside once I get home from work. But daylight increases each day... can't wait for DST to spring forward next month.

When I first got the trainer my limit was an hour, then 90min, max! Even with plenty of stimulation, it gets old, fast. But as a single father, it serves a great purpose for times I cannot get outside to ride. I'm sooo ready to store the trainer away away for the season though. Just did 100 miles on the darn thing a few weeks back. Quite maddening! Appreciate the kudos you climbing queen!
  • Jakess1971
    Jakess1971 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    trimom10 wrote: »
    I can't tell you how many people I've told about the Winter Cycle Challenge. I think everyone at the club and work knows about this.

Tell them to come along for the challenge next Winter season, more the merrier, it would be nice to take this to another level but need everyones help and enthusiasm on doing this.

• TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,683 Member
    Options
    Super Mario takes a little time to remind us to stay safe during winter training and be sure to wear a helmet...

05l0usumt1w1.jpg

Must admit, if I were to ride on the trainer like that, I'd be concerned with wear on my helmet as well...

(incidentally, @Frannybobs - recognise the indoor trainer he's using... I told you it was a top-drawer bit of kit when I bought it, didn't I... If it'll stand Super Mario sprinting on it, there's no wonder it survived me using it for 10 years or so...)

• Jakess1971
    Options
    No .... just no, brings a whole new meaning to suffer test .....
  • m1xm0d3
    Options
    LOL I saw that yesterday on fb... I'll be damned if I ever go for a freeball session like that. Gotta admit ole Mario is still quite fit though.
  • KitTheRoadie
    KitTheRoadie Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Awesome job jase, a pleasure to take part in as with all these challenges.

I am defo in, I'll be laying down the km's however it's run so just point me in the right direction and I'll be there!

Thanks again!
  • jillyian
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Well I will be off my bike for Maybe hopefully only a day or 2, took my bike for service only to find out that my frame is cracked- so hopefully it will be replaced, in the meantime - my lbs is going to give me a loaner, hopefully tomorrow
  • m1xm0d3
    Options
    jillyian wrote: »
    Well I will be off my bike for Maybe hopefully only a day or 2, took my bike for service only to find out that my frame is cracked- so hopefully it will be replaced, in the meantime - my lbs is going to give me a loaner, hopefully tomorrow

Bummer, Jill! Good thing the LBS caught it before something drastic happened though. Does the LBS believe it's a warranty claim? Hope they can fit you to a decent temporary bike until you get your problem resolved.
  • jillyian
    Options
    Yeah hopefully it won't take too long, i think i will get a replacement frame -
    And the bike shop did have a decent temporary bike- the guy from the shop was going to call the owner of the bike, which has been hanging at the shop for a long time now, and see if it's OK for me to borrow it.
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Yikes what bike 'was' it?
  • jillyian
    Options
    cloggsy71 wrote: »
    Yikes what bike 'was' it?

It was a Focus Izalco Donna 2012 and supposedly it was the highest end frame that I purchased...
    It has appx 30,000 miles on it and I have done some rough riding on it,
    But I have a couple friends who also have Focus bikes that had cracked frames. So not a good sign for the company if that is something happening regularly
  • m1xm0d3
    Options
    Final day... thanks again for running this challenge, Jason. This was tiring as a competitor, much less having admin duty keeping us unruly folk in line as well! Hope to squeeze out one final ride outdoors and after work this evening. Then the steed is off to the LBS!
  • Spatialized
    Spatialized Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Done and dusted. In the clubhouse. Finito. Finished. Last entries posted this AM. Thanks for running a great challenge Jase! Looking forward to seeing how this will evolve next year. Chapeau!
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,683 Member
    Options
    Well - That's me in the clubhouse as well - hopefully managed to cement my place in the top half of the chart.

Sterling work by Jason, in running this challenge and setting a standard I'm likely to find difficult to follow with the oncoming Classics and Grand Tours...

Well Done to everyone who stayed the distance, and here's to a good season to come after this base preparation.
  • jillyian
    edited February 2016
    Options
    And Done!
    until i literally killed my bike 5 days before the finish...
    this was an Awesome Challenge, its very fun to try and keep up with you guys mileage wise-
    it must have been like having a full time job doing all the entries and keeping everyone in line. I appreciate all the work that you have put into running this challenge.
    Thank You Jason
  • TDSeest
    TDSeest Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Done and in the clubhouse. Started with a fizzle, ended with a fizzle, but had some fun riding in between. Thanks for running a great challenge...
  • m1xm0d3
    Options
    Done done and DONE! Bong & Beer in hand...relaxing. About to play a video game. Bike gets a break as well with a trip to the spa for the next few days. Thanks for the efforts. Both physically and mentally...
  • Jakess1971
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Final Feb Cat league positions:

Cat 1 - Endurance m1xm0d3 jillyian Dave2041 Jakess1971 cloggsy71 ddroth trimom10

Cat 2 - Sprinters steffenson TheBigYin Spatialized MrsCentralCaliCycling CentralCaliCycling amiller7x7

Cat 3 - Domestiques ntnunk Hawkeyegal1995 KitTheRoadie Frannybobs

Cat 4 - Joy Riders chemij TDSeest

Cat league bonus points:

m1xm0d3 11 jillyian 9.5 Dave2041 9 Jakess1971 8.5 cloggsy71 8 ddroth 7.5 trimom10 7.7 steffenson 8 TheBigYin 6.5 Spatialized 6 MrsCentralCaliCycling 5.5 CentralCaliCycling 5.2 amiller7x7 5.1 ntnunk 5.2 Hawkeyegal1995 4.5 KitTheRoadie 4 Frannybobs 3.5 chemij 3.2 TDSeest 2.5

Feb Distance and bonus points added:

m1xm0d3 11.5 steffenson 11 Jakess1971 10.5 jillyian 10 Dave2041 9.5 cloggsy71 9 ddroth 8.5 MrsCentral CaliCycling 8 TheBigYin 7.5 CentralCali Cycling 7 ntnunk 6.5 trimom10 6 Spatialized 5.5 Hawkeyegal 1995 5

And final standings:

1st: Jakess1971 - Winter Champion for being an obsessive competitive nut case
    2nd: Dave2041 - Winter Outdoor Warrior for most outdoor miles
    3rd: m1xm0d3 - Cat League Champion for most Cat 1 League Wins
    4th: jillyian - Queen of the Winter Challenge
    5th: ddroth - Most consistant League 1 rider and second in the Speed category
    6th: cloggsy71 - Speed demon
    7th: steffenson - Most improved rider
    8th: TheBigYin - The Godfather - lets not forget he is responsible for these challenges existing in the first place.

And we have the Peloton, kudos to everyone who turned a crank this Winter:

9th: Spatialized
    10th: trimom10
    11th: MrsCentralCaliCycling
    12th: CentralCaliCycling
    13th: amiller7x7
    14th: ntnunk
    15th: Hawkeyegal1995
    16th: KitTheRoadie
    17th: TDSeest
    18th: chernij
    19th: Frannybobs
    20th: Webtracer

Closing statement

So I just managed to reclaim the Winter Championship after loosing it last year to Clive the indoor Hamster, Clive however remains the undisputed speed demon by gaining 15 Strava league speed trophies, the closest after that was Dwght with 7.

A special well done to Dave my nemesis who had me on the ropes for the majority of the Winter, I prob wouldn't have ridden as much if it wasn't for this rivalry, he may have been just pipped to the post but I'd like to award Dave with the title of Outdoor Winter Warrior, he has by far beaten everyone with his outdoor efforts and achieved more MTS trophies then anyone else, chapeau Dave chapeau.

Huge kudos to both Josh & Jill, this rivalry was closely fought throughout the Winter and it was only down to a stunning last couple of months by Josh that finally got him that third place, Jill however wins the title 'Queen of the Winter Challenge', simply superb ans should be commended.

I'd like to give the award of most improved rider to Steffenson who started his seeding as 2nd in Cat4 and finished up as the outright by a country mile Winner of Cat 2, it's just a shame he didn't get the chance to compete in Cat 1.

Well done to Mark who battled his health problems throughout the Winter but looks to be on the mend now thankfully, I think you'll all join me in wishing him the best of health for future and coming challenges.

Thankyou also to Mark and Clive for assisting and helping me deal with some difficult issues on the challenge, I very much appreciated the support.

Also a final thankyou to the Peleton group who without this would make this challenge a lot less interesting, thankyou: Spatialized trimom10 MrsCentral CaliCycling CentralCali Cycling amiller7x7 ntnunk Hawkeyegal 1995 KitTheRoadie TDSeest chernij Frannybobs.

Oh and Webtracer who I thought had given up but did log on the final day, I know you've had a tough Winter so well done for doing what you could.

The Fallen

One final honorary mention to all the riders who started but did not finish, this challenge was HUGE, make no mistake and I'd like to say thankyou for taking an interest in the first place, even if you've fallen out with me for kicking you off it really doesn't matter, I hope you understand how difficult it is to run a challenge like this over 4 months and keep everything current, the manual logging system was a huge pain in the *kitten* so I fully appreciate why people would loose patience with this and do there own thing, every single one of you will be most welcome to try again next year, hopefully the automated system will help with some of the issues:

BigG59 Graham Leigh
    mdstamand Mike St. Amand
    Spiffytools1610 Kevin Lischke
    banshee1013 Celina Beach
    kriles76 Kristian Leszczynski
    anviljenkins Bill Danielson
    gobonas99 Christina B
    ToughMudderAddict Sara
    phytogurl phytogurl
    Check_Mate David LaFleur
    smeakin1 Shane Meakim
    Kupe Brett Kuper

The handover

And now I hand you over to Mark for the rest of the years challenges .... it's been emotional :)