Ramadan and Lowcarbing?

Options
Noory44
Noory44 Posts: 15 Member
For anyone who is lowcarbing and Ramadan starting in the 2nd week of July this year, how will you be handling it, it's going to be tough for me as this will be my first Ramadan doing low carb. I'm going to try and see how i feel the first week, but if i'm severely lacking in energy i may have to have some carbs like oats or rice. Any helpful hints would be awesome! And what do people normally have for Suhoor (breakfast)?

Replies

• kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Seems like this would be similar to intermittent fasting, where all your food is consumed in a small window.
    I would avoid the carbs. If possible you would want to be fat adapted, which would decrease cravings and allow your body to use fat stores for energy instead of carbs.

The keto sub-reddit has some posts on Ramadan, and may be a better source than here at MFP.
    http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/search?q=Ramadan&restrict_sr=on

Good luck!
  • jsuaccounting
    jsuaccounting Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Yes, low carbing should make it easier to go long periods without food once you have adapted to it. If you are still having to eat carbs for energy - you haven't got there yet.

However, it would also depend on what tempting things your family prepares in the evening. If you will be sharing a meal with family it will be best to think ahead and have a strategy. I would make sure to hydrate when allowed.