Done with Stage 2...still gaining :(

Options
RRRobynnn
RRRobynnn Posts: 31 Member
I've completed the first 2 stages and continue to see my weight climb-. I did lose inches during stage 1, but didn't see any shrinkage during stage 2. I am seeing strength gains and I can definitely feel muscles growing and toning, but I'm frustrated by the lack of fat loss. In total, I'm up about 6lbs since starting. I don't think that the weight I'm gaining is fat (well, at least not all of it...) but it's frustrating not to see more fat loss. My thighs are starting to look huge with the added muscle below the chub. ;)

Within the last couple of weeks, I've started to add HIIT sessions in after my workouts and on non-workout days. I'm still allowing at least one rest day per week. I don't feel like I'm doing too much...and in fact, wonder if I should be doing more.

I've been sticking to around 1475 cal/day and then adding back exercise calories. I'm pretty disciplined with weighing/measuring as well as journaling everything, so I feel like my diary is pretty accurate. (I based my calories on Scooby's TDEE at a sedentary level, minus 20%).

Any advice? I LOVE lifting and have no plans to quit. I just want to start seeing some of the progress I'm working so hard for!

Replies

• wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Hmm, you've got me stumped. The only thing I can think of is perhaps it just water weight. The extra HIIT may be added intensity that is causing your muscles to retain water. Maybe try backing off a little to give your muscles time to rest.
  • RRRobynnn
    Options
    I don't think it's water weight as it's been a slow, steady increase throughout the first 2 stages. (I have noticed big gains after upping my weights or a particularly hard workout, but that resolves within a couple of days.) I'm feeling perplexed, too, and just don't know what to do.
  • mdcoug
    mdcoug Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    How much water do you drink? Do you think it could be water weight? Honestly, at 1475, it seems that you should be losing. How many calories are you estimating for the exercise?
  • RRRobynnn
    Options
    How much water do you drink? Do you think it could be water weight? Honestly, at 1475, it seems that you should be losing. How many calories are you estimating for the exercise?

I would guess between 80-100oz at a minimum. I tend to drink a ton on days that I work, less when I'm home. I'm trying to be more mindful of that and I'm also ditching the artificial sweetener and just drinking plain water.

I'm adding in 270 calories on lifting days, 400 on days where I lift and do cardio. I'm beginning to think my metabolism is broken. :( Prior to starting this program, I was doing WW and/or MFP and sticking with the minimum for a loooong time. I lost well at first, but hit a plateau, gained 10lbs, and have been stuck since. I'm now back up to one of my heaviest weights. I have done so much reading lately, trying to figure out what I need to tweak, but what I'm doing now makes the most sense. I refuse to go back to 1200 calories and 4 mile runs with no results!

I'm beginning to wonder if it could be hormonal. I had my thyroid removed in '05 due to cancer and was kept on artificially high levels of synthroid for several years after that. I've been on a more "normal" dose for the last couple of years. Maybe my body got too used to the fast metabolism? (And for the record, no, weight loss was not effortless then, either, I just couldn't sleep and was jittery all the time.)
  • mdcoug
    mdcoug Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, I don't think you're overestimating the exercise calories, at least not by much. I broke down and bought a bodymedia device so I could feel more confident about the calories burned during lifting. It gives me about 200 extra calories for a workout in stage 3 (75-90 min. long). And it sounds like you're drinking enough water. I'd probably go have my dr. look into it if I were you. Maybe you need an adjustment on your medication?
  • paige2390
    paige2390 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    It honestly sounds like you aren't intaking enough calories. I know it sounds crazy to eat more to loss weight but you need to when you are lifting. I don't know how much you weight but I'm 26 years old, 200lbs & 5ft 4 - with that information my body naturely burns 1454 calories (RMR - Resting Metabolic Rate). In order to loss weight I should be intaking 1800 calories on a day where I dont work out, 2100 on light workouts and 2400 on Strensous workout days. It sounds like madness to eat more but I have a ton more energy and feel better during the day and especially throughout my workouts, I feel like I can push so much harder now.

Hope it helps, I'm not an expert or anything but I would try it for 2 weeks and see if it helps at all, or at least slowly increase your intake, for example start eating 1550 cal/day for a week then up it to 1650....
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,997 Member
    Options
    I gained weight on NROL4W - to be very frank, I was eating the calories the book said - and it was TOO MANY, for me.

As soon as I dialed back the calories, the fat started coming off my body, leaving muscles behind!