Processed meats rank alongside smoking as cancer causes – WHO

Options

Replies

• gsp90x
    gsp90x Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Do you think they will lower the price of meat when everyone stops buying it? Lol that would be awesome!

bahahaha! Yes. Yes it would be. :smiley:
  • gsp90x
    gsp90x Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    uggh. I'm so glad this was posted. I read this thread and thought, whew, I'm glad no body I know will fall for this. then I went over to facebook and low and behold the first post I see is someone posting about the "bad news". Gah!!!! Let the ranting begin! (not here though)
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    ACA may be used to mold future diet standards in the name of saving money on healthcare services.
  • fatchimom
    fatchimom Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    DittoDan wrote: »
    They'll have to pry the bacon out of my cold dead fingers ~ before I give it up! :dizzy:

Ditto that, Dan!!!!
  • esaucier17
    esaucier17 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    DittoDan wrote: »
    They'll have to pry the bacon out of my cold dead fingers ~ before I give it up! :dizzy:

haha....me too!
  • esaucier17
    esaucier17 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's and my local grocery store both carry no nitrate bacon that is very good

Yes....I found one at Wal-Mart. Hormel has a few different meats with no nitrates or hormones added.
  • Lillith32
    Lillith32 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    ACA may be used to mold future diet standards in the name of saving money on healthcare services.

Honestly that's my biggest fear.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Lillith32 wrote: »

How are they going to know what you eat?
  • Lillith32
    Options
    lithezebra wrote: »

Evil government magic, of course. Honestly, I think that the most likely course of action would be a tax on food deemed 'unhealthy', kind of like a cigarette tax.
  • lithezebra
    Options
    I'm hoping that this study leads to wider availability of nitrate free ham and bacon. I hate Applegate Naturals, and want more yummier brands.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options

Evil government magic, of course. Honestly, I think that the most likely course of action would be a tax on food deemed 'unhealthy', kind of like a cigarette tax.

Doesn't California or somewhere already do that? Like on Soda and stuff?
  • Lillith32
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss New York City, the infamous Big Gulp tax. Denmark, I believe, implemented a butter tax, which failed miserably, but created a black market. I believe Jimmy Moore discussed it in one of his recent podcasts. Never the less, the tax on 'saturated fats' or some such nonsense is a possibility. Reports like the one we are talking about here, the environmental push to save the planet from cow farts plus sheer greed for more tax revenue may lead to further taxation and regulation. Will the government ever require you to log everything you eat? Doubtful. Will they use taxes and regulations to decrease the supply and raise the cost of meat, cheese and butter? Very very likely.
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    IMO, the main health related concern with our food sources and probably the biggest change over the past 50 years are the preservatives and hormones added to produce and livestock. For example, our oranges and chickens are much larger than even 15 years ago. The reason? they have a greater appeal in packaging, but are these improvements in appearance 'better' for us healthwise?

What is more likely the source of cancer producing agents are all the man-made fertilizers, pesticides, nitrates, growth hormones in cattle, dyes, and any chemical added to a meat or produce to enhance taste and appearance, and allow for longer shipping and shelf storage. That's really the ugly secret that isn't discussed.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

Insurance questionnaires about what you eat. Maybe a fridge/pantry inspection in order to be eligible.

It sounds bizarre, but some companies already do giant physical workups, complete with blood draws, with people that come to your home to do the test (so it's not like you can get a physical from your doctor or whatever), so I wouldn't put it past them to add an inspection to the list.
  • lithezebra
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »

Insurance questionnaires about what you eat. Maybe a fridge/pantry inspection in order to be eligible.

It sounds bizarre, but some companies already do giant physical workups, complete with blood draws, with people that come to your home to do the test (so it's not like you can get a physical from your doctor or whatever), so I wouldn't put it past them to add an inspection to the list.

Going through people's refrigerators and pantries would be a nightmare. Just drawing blood is easy. I suppose they could add a hoarding tax if your fridge is too cluttered.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    That would be hilarious if they did that, because they would have to check expiry dates... I have ancient cornbread mixes I just haven't thrown away yet, and my fiance is a carbivore, so I still have carby junk in with my yummy fats! LOL
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    lol, could you imagine the look on an inspector's face when they saw my pantry (empty if you count just my foods) and fridge (only piles of red meat just looking at my shelf)? And the fact that I average over 32 ounces of red meat a day, unless I've had eggs with half a pound of bacon?

I wouldn't worry about it, though. These sorts of things tend to be toothless. It's like the "added sugar" recommendation which has been deflected by food companies. Policies that actually encourage people to eat less of one sort of food are very unlikely to pass in our current climate.
  • SarahKat81
    SarahKat81 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Not to sound unsympathetic to cancer victims or survivors, but I had cancer when I was 13 (ovarian, dysgerminoma) and it was a complete "fluke" according to the doctors. I think cancer can hit anyone at anytime and ANYTHING can be bad for your health in excess. I now have UC...seems I'm predestined for health problems. I refuse to stop eating the occasional hot dog or glass of wine. That's not say I am going to completely go crazy! I am doing the keto diet because it seems the best fit for my condition right now (and I would like to lose the 20 lbs I gained on steroids.) I say live life responsibly!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    SarahKat81 wrote: »
    Not to sound unsympathetic to cancer victims or survivors, but I had cancer when I was 13 (ovarian, dysgerminoma) and it was a complete "fluke" according to the doctors. I think cancer can hit anyone at anytime and ANYTHING can be bad for your health in excess. I now have UC...seems I'm predestined for health problems. I refuse to stop eating the occasional hot dog or glass of wine. That's not say I am going to completely go crazy! I am doing the keto diet because it seems the best fit for my condition right now (and I would like to lose the 20 lbs I gained on steroids.) I say live life responsibly!

You might be interested in Andrew Scarborough's story and the work he's doing with research doctors -- http://zerocarbzen.com/2015/05/31/healing-brain-cancer-with-a-zero-carb-ketogenic-diet-by-andrew-scarborough/
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    lol, could you imagine the look on an inspector's face when they saw my pantry (empty if you count just my foods) and fridge (only piles of red meat just looking at my shelf)? And the fact that I average over 32 ounces of red meat a day, unless I've had eggs with half a pound of bacon?

I wouldn't worry about it, though. These sorts of things tend to be toothless. It's like the "added sugar" recommendation which has been deflected by food companies. Policies that actually encourage people to eat less of one sort of food are very unlikely to pass in our current climate.

rofl! I'd love to see the inspector's eyes pop out of their head!

But yeah, you're right. Odds are good it won't change much, except maybe the labeling on processed meats.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Actually we are forming 20K to a million or more cancer cells daily. Normally if our immune system is at 100% it will nip the cancer in the bud long before it can get out of control. @SarahKat81 makes a good point about how cancer can strike at any age. Typically it is more likely at 40+ years when our immune system has been hit hard all the years before.

From my research I think the main thing we can do is keep our Vit D level in the 70-90 range while taking K2 daily. The immune system can be helped if our lifestyle does not dump needless garbage on it.

Actually there are many things we can do to achieve better cellular health but it takes time doing non stop research in my case plus $$$.