BS spike post resistance training

Options
tsazani
tsazani Posts: 830 Member
LCHF now for 4 weeks with great BG results. Excellent fasting, 2hr post meals, and fasting post cardio exercise. As a nice bonus, I've lost 7 lb of scale weight.

I restarted 2 days per week of hard total body resistance training last week. On Thur my fasting post exercise BS = 166. Today = 148. Should I be concerned?

Replies

• mmarshall74
    mmarshall74 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I know you are doing LCHF but I wonder if you have carbs before working out if it would satisfy you muscles extra demand for energy and avoid having to have your liver dump the glucose into your blood stream (Somogyi effect happens to me at night often). Maybe when the liver dumps the glucose it's harder to recover than if you ate the carbs for muscle energy. If you are at Keto levels of LCHF then it might kick you out.... Just a thought. I have always thought more muscles = better blood sugar control, so I'd like to think you should never stop weight training... but it does seem like the increase after strength stays with you for a few days.
  • winnie141
    winnie141 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    How long are your sugars up afterward? If it's more than an hour...I probably would scale back. I used to have the same issue when I was on insulin. Now I have the opposite effect...HIIT workouts don't work for me, too low no matter what I do or time of the day. So not all workouts are good for diabetics...I know it really sucks (and I personally think it's the worst part of the disease....not able to do everything we want even if it's considered healthy). With that being said I would try what mmarshall74 has posted first, you never know...small tweaks to ones diet often shows results!
  • winnie141
    winnie141 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Sounds like it will be fine then. That was what happened to me when I did weights and on insulin. My body was able to deal with it within an hour and rectified it on its own...even with a snack included. Funny how the body works!