Net carbs & sugar alcohols

mstrange17
mstrange17 Posts: 12 Member
When consuming a product that has sugar alcohols, how do you count the net carbs? I have read to subtract the sugar alcohols completely but also have read to subtract half of the sugar alcohols (both with subtracting fiber still.) anyone have some insight?

Replies

• Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    I have read to NOT subtract fiber, because some fibers ARE digested, but I do not know about Sugar Alcohols, other than my digestive system does NOT like them!!! :)
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    I do not subtract them, because I react to most in a negative way. Read "sugar free gummy bears amazon review" if you want part of the picture. I find them to be very counter-intuitive to my progress, but you may not find it thus.

I forget which one is supposed to be half, but maltitol is evil incarnate, not sure of others.

Erythritol is supposed to be safe, but it triggers and insulin response in me.

So the short answer is that I don't subtract them, period. Some people do... It's an individual thing. Some people go to all the trouble of finding the ones that count as half. I just avoid everything except Sweet Leaf stevia. It's the only one that doesn't trigger me.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    If I can manage less than 5g of any sugar alcohol over no less than a 2 hour period, I'll subtract it. That's my limit before my blood sugar level gets jacked around. I don't care what 'they' say... if I get a response, it's sugar and I won't subtract it.
  • barnumboy
    barnumboy Posts: 20 Member
    Reading Keto Clarity says not go off of Net Carbs. Stick to counting all carbs when you're doing Keto. I have a very low tolerance to carbs, so I have been keeping mine very low - 5% or less.
  • mstrange17
    mstrange17 Posts: 12 Member
    Good idea on the 2 hour deal...I haven't been subtracting them at all so wasn't sure. I only subtract my fiber from my carb total, & still to 20g or less a day.
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    I agree with Knitormiss about the malitol, its evil,evil stuff! I've found that I can tolerate stevia or Erythritol fine and will subtract them but any other sugar alcohols I don't.

To be honest I've been struggling lately with losing weight & even getting my keto numbers up so I've been toying with going with full carbs instead of net carbs. I just have to be mentally ready to give up my fake flour treats and low carb chocolate. scary stuff lol.

I have keto clarity on my reader but haven't read it yet. I really should. @barnumboy have you always done full carbs? or did you change from net carbs? Im just wondering what kind of difference you've seen in your progress, if any.
  • barnumboy
    barnumboy Posts: 20 Member
    kristafb wrote: »
    I agree with Knitormiss about the malitol, its evil,evil stuff! I've found that I can tolerate stevia or Erythritol fine and will subtract them but any other sugar alcohols I don't.

To be honest I've been struggling lately with losing weight & even getting my keto numbers up so I've been toying with going with full carbs instead of net carbs. I just have to be mentally ready to give up my fake flour treats and low carb chocolate. scary stuff lol.

I have keto clarity on my reader but haven't read it yet. I really should. @barnumboy have you always done full carbs? or did you change from net carbs? Im just wondering what kind of difference you've seen in your progress, if any.

@kristafb - I used to mentally subtract the fiber for net carbs when I was doing low carb until recently when I switched to LCHF, so it's not a true comparison, but my first week on keto after being back on low carb and in ketosis for about a month, I lost 9 lbs. This week will be less and more normal, but I feel less bloated, have so much more energy and really don't miss the carbs. Most of my carbs were from veggies anyway. I would never had bread or anything like that when I was focused and on plan. When I was slacking and not watching at all, I would drink wine, and eat all kinds of carbs. But I need to reign that in and not keep going on and off. Feeling so good on keto is a huge motivator to keep my macros in check. I do 80% F/ 20% P/5% C and that seems to be working for me. I was actually thinking of bumping fat up to 85%.