24 Hour Yogurt

lithezebra
lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
edited October 2015 in Social Groups
Has anyone tried making yogurt that is fermented for 24 hours, and do you believe that a cup contains only about a gram of carbohydrate? (It's fantastically delicious, made with whole milk, strained, without sweetener, but I'm having a hard time believing that the lactose is really gone).

Replies

• fuelednfit
    fuelednfit Posts: 177 Member
    I am curious too I always assume it was still there. I typically make mine with yogurt culture and leave it 24h because I like it firmer. I will do some research and come back. Do you use yogurt culture or something else?
  • lithezebra
    I started it with some plain Fage, because I like the flavor, and fermented it at 110 degrees to help the thermophiles do their thing. I haven't found a super reliable source for the nutrients in 24 hour yogurt. The sites for SCD (specific carbohydrate diet), GAPS, and some paleo sites have information. I'm really only interested in the low carb aspect of it, since yogurt is something I eat every day, and I'd like to cut out as many of those carbs as I can.
  • lithezebra
    revertt2d wrote: »
    I am curious too I always assume it was still there. I typically make mine with yogurt culture and leave it 24h because I like it firmer. I will do some research and come back. Do you use yogurt culture or something else?

I looked at the carbs in whey. There are 5 grams of sugar per 100 grams of whey. Assuming that you strain off about a half gallon of whey from one gallon of milk: a half gallon of whey weighs 1892 grams and that would include about 94 grams of sugar that are not in your yogurt. That doesn't include the sugar that your bugs eat while they're fermenting.
  • fuelednfit
    fuelednfit Posts: 177 Member
    In the fermentation process lactose is transformed in lactic acid
  • lithezebra
    revertt2d wrote: »
    In the fermentation process lactose is transformed in lactic acid

Yes, the same stuff that we get during strenuous exercise when we ferment glucose to the lactic acid that builds up in muscles!