Gluten free and Paleo

Options
is anyone else out there gluten free and paleo? Lookin for friends!

Replies

• lagunalady
    lagunalady Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You sound like me, though I can eat bananas. And after several years of eating this way, I've healed immensely, and I can have a little white rice, a few lentils, a bit of potato. But gluten sets me back for weeks, dairy is off the table except for a bit in baked goods, and soy (including soy lecithin) causes a reaction every time I touch it. I'm good with the paleo sugars and love to bake. So glad that I can! Anyway, I'd thought to find similar folks here with open diaries, but hey, chatting here works. I just know that I don't want to fall into ruts with my eating because that's how to develop more food intolerances: eating too much of something and too often. I've had it with new intolerances! Not trying to lose weight, have lost it anyway by eating healthy.
  • indigojoy
    indigojoy Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm GF and paleo! (Gluten makes me sneezy/congested.) I can do small amounts of sweet potato, but have to watch it to stay in fat loss.
  • Staceykjjj
    Staceykjjj Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am just starting out and was interested to hear what you had to say about what foods do to you. The only real reaction I receive from foods is bloating from gluten - I know this as I just had delicious wonton soup last night and suffered all night and day. I am really going to tune into my body and feel foods effects -- thanks you are inspirational.
  • EddieV2
    EddieV2 Posts: 19 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I've been paleo/primal for a little over 2 years now and I couldn't be happier! My diary is open. I actually cured my seborrheic dermatitis (think dandruff), allergies (I used to be on prescription meds and was contemplating surgery for my turbinates because I couldn't breath when lying down), my Narcolepsy has significantly improved and continues to go in that direction, and I look exactly the way I've always wish I looked. Oh, and my life-long depression disappeared.

Anyway I love it! Lots of meat, potatoes, squashes, and any other starches. Food is fascinating and I've never enjoyed it more than when I went Paleo. The world is so much more than wraps, breads, subs, and cereal.

I can manipulate my diet now to fit my workout routine and my goals at whatever time (I've done bodybuilding and now am in the powerlifting realm).

Feel free to send me a friend request!
  • angiedoodleAMB
    angiedoodleAMB Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am totally Gluten Free and also sensitive to a good few other foods, I found this out last year when with the help of a qualified dietician I tested all the foods I ate for reactions. Fascinating. Now I have a very restricted diet made more difficult because I don't like meat or fish. I lost half a stone in the process but it went back on over six months and I now want to lose a full stone. xx
  • hleppard
    hleppard Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    So very! I have been on the Paleo band wagon for almost 6 years, when we discovered the extent of my son's food allergies when he was an infant. I had to cut out all the foods he was allergic to in order to nurse, (when my daughter arrived she brought the same allergies plus more), and I discovered that I did much better eating that way. Plus, I have a whole long list of food allergies/intolerances, myself. Now, trials with gluten result in days of pain and way too much time in the bathroom (;-) As we have added some grains back into our diet (my kids do OK with rice and some corn now), I have seen my weight steadily creep up, so I am cutting those back out.
  • SarabearMcD
    SarabearMcD Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    So, I'm starting Whole30 tomorrow which is kind of a super strict Paleo diet. No grains, no dairy, no added sweeteners of any kind (not even honey), no legumes. I suffer from chronic sinus problems and headaches very frequently. I'm curious to see if any of that is actually stemming from - or at least being aggravated by the food that I am eating instead of the seasonal allergies that it has always been attributed to.

So I will be gluten free and a version of Paleo for at least the next 30 days :)
  • behnybaby
    behnybaby Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am rather new to Paleo, but long enough to notice the differences. within about a week my IBS disappeared. I have experimented with a few things during the holidays and could tell the difference in how I felt. Grains I believe to be perhaps the biggest problem for me. (Experiment grains failure) Legumes I can take or leave so I left them, since I lose weight easier with a lower carb diet and find them extremely gassy (experiment Beans failure) Dairy poses no problem that I have noticed (experiment use occasionally okay as a treat)Sugar is out (diabetic close to off my meds per doctor) Only use Stevia. Sodas I steer clear. Alcohol no problem passing it up forever.
  • soozey1
    soozey1 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    lagunalady wrote: »
    is anyone else out there gluten free and paleo? Lookin for friends!

Yes I am gluten free and paleo, my nutritionist got me into this eating regime years ago, have never looked back.
    I am also sugar free and lactose intolerant , so Paleo is any easy choice.
    I have a fructose intolerance.

• Furtado2
    Furtado2 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 4 of the strict paleo diet. I'm looking for tips to consume more carbs that aren't fruit or sweet potato!

I'm using January as a Paleo challenge, to see what the diet can do to my body.

Any advice would be great!
  • LHWhite903
    LHWhite903 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Both GF and Paleo-esque. I don't go LCHF but I'm still eating and avoiding the same foods.
    Furtado2 wrote: »
    I'm looking for tips to consume more carbs that aren't fruit or sweet potato!

Okay, so not boniatos or plantains? Um, let me think...artichokes, chestnuts, honey, white potato (if you're not strict about the GI thing)... look up starchy vegetables. I have to go. I'll think of more when I can.
  • skywater11
    skywater11 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm GF and paleo with some restrictions (I avoid eggs and limit almonds due to some sensitivities). The eggs make paleo options more of a challenge, but there are some great resources out there - I love Diane Sanfilipo - Practical Paleo and 21 Day Sugar Detox recipes are all wonderful and a big hit with my traditional food family. Also love Wellness Mama. Roasted veggies of all kinds are a big staple.
  • AdventureGirlCD
    AdventureGirlCD Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm Gluten Free, Sugar Free - currently doing a Candida Cleanse for 45 days - so no coffee (SIGH!!!), no alcohol, no fruits, no yeast - I'm actually feeling so much better. I will bring back my coffee when I'm done - but will stick with GF and refined sugar free. Most of my carbs I get from veggies and legumes. I'm pretty much a Pescetarian now - since Chicken is very inflammatory to me. I'm good with grains - and love baking with Oat Flour (GF). Haven't had much luck with Coconut Flour - so I've given up. I am back on MFP because i gained almost 30 pounds in 18 months - when conventional docs told me to accept being 53 I decided to head to the Naturopaths/Nutritionists. That's when all my sensitivities were discovered. ON the right track. Goal is to lose another 20 pounds by the end of April.
  • whatelsecanIsay
    whatelsecanIsay Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm new to all of this. I am gluten intolerant, lactose intolerant, soy and egg intolerant. That leaves out a lot of food. I eat meat, vegetables, fruit and nuts but need more ideas how to be creative with what I can eat. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Pat