Drastic Change in Diet

Options
tsazani
tsazani Posts: 830 Member
For tomorrow, Friday, I listed my ideal diet before I found LCHF. 20/50/30 vs 60/20/20 (f/c/p) which is what I eat now. See Thursday to see the difference. My ideal breakfast before has 60% carbs. 60% of those breakfast carbs are pure sugar.

I now understand that I was boxing against my DM2 with my right hand tied behind my back. No wonder I was losing.

Replies

• camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Good change! Keep calm and keto on, as they say, and you will win the bout ;)
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    tsazani wrote: »
    FMy ideal breakfast before has 60% carbs. 60% of those breakfast carbs are pure sugar.

I now understand that I was boxing against my DM2 with my right hand tied behind my back. No wonder I was losing.

Better late than never Doc. Welcome to the club. You're learning what works for you so way to go!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    The nutritional advice given to you guys (physicians)has been erroneous. I know because I was a patient who followed the plan all the way to 318 pounds. Then, would be accused of being dishonest about it, since I kept gaining! The frustration is real. I'm sooooo glad to be free of all that! But yes, I figured an average carb intake on my old woe, and was right at 300 gm daily (I get 20, or less now) ugh! I like it here on this side of things!
  • Lillith32
    Lillith32 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    That's great! How long have you been following the low carb woe? It would be interesting to read about the changes from a doctor's perspective.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I think you mentioned that you had one of Dr. Bernstein's books. I haven't read them, so maybe this is in it, but have you seen his story? It's quite fascinating -- http://www.diabetes-book.com/bernstein-life-with-diabetes/
  • Time2LoseWeightNOW
    Time2LoseWeightNOW Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    I see so many of my coworkers that eat about the same way...it's as if they eat whatever and hope the meds do the rest. Do you mind if I look through your diary for ideas from a Doctors point of eats? My family doctor is not much help...
  • Lillith32
    Lillith32 Posts: 483 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

I have come to the conclusion that our nutritional training comes straight from the Sugar lobbies. Check out a food label on any food in the USA. Notice that sugar and only sugar does not have to put a "percent of daily value". That's just raw political power at its best.

Have you read Denise Minger's Death by Food Pyramid? It details the politics and money behind the food pyramid and big pharma/agra. Also, it's a good read.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Yes. I invite anybody and everybody to criticize my diary. Today (Fri) I put down how I used to eat before I switched to LCHF almost 5 weeks ago. I'm still fixated on high fiber and need to eat my four servings of (now) green vegetables per day.
    I see so many of my coworkers that eat about the same way...it's as if they eat whatever and hope the meds do the rest. Do you mind if I look through your diary for ideas from a Doctors point of eats? My family doctor is not much help...

I hope you don't end up with the problems I did, but continuing to eat high fiber on a lower carb diet actually caused me a great amount of bowel discomfort, triggering back and forth issues with constipation and acidic diarrhea. When I dropped my concern for fiber as a focus, and just focused on getting my good fats in, the problem leveled out. It actually improved further when I started adding Kombucha (a naturally fermented tea) to my daily dietary consumption. My gut has been much happier with me since then! Just as point of reference, I had my gallbladder out in December of 2000, 7 weeks after my daughter was born, so this obviously isn't a reaction everyone has, but I wanted to pass it on, in case any of it helps.
  • ndvoice
    ndvoice Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Yes. I invite anybody and everybody to criticize my diary. Today (Fri) I put down how I used to eat before I switched to LCHF almost 5 weeks ago. I'm still fixated on high fiber and need to eat my four servings of (now) green vegetables per day.

I still eat a LOT of leafy, green & low carb veggies too. Not so much for the fiber, but for the antioxidants & phytonutrients. Plus I like veggies! I've been able to incorporate them into my low carb lifestyle & maintain Keto status. And I must applaud you - for negating common dietary recommendations & making fact / research based decisions for your health. I hope more physicians will do the same!

• esaucier17
    esaucier17 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

I hope you don't end up with the problems I did, but continuing to eat high fiber on a lower carb diet actually caused me a great amount of bowel discomfort, triggering back and forth issues with constipation and acidic diarrhea. When I dropped my concern for fiber as a focus, and just focused on getting my good fats in, the problem leveled out. It actually improved further when I started adding Kombucha (a naturally fermented tea) to my daily dietary consumption. My gut has been much happier with me since then! Just as point of reference, I had my gallbladder out in December of 2000, 7 weeks after my daughter was born, so this obviously isn't a reaction everyone has, but I wanted to pass it on, in case any of it helps.

Thank you for sharing because I was thinking I wasn't getting enough fiber either. And I do eat a lot of veggies. So I'm glad to know it will all balance out and I don't have to add extra fiber.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Your diary is making me hungry. I love fruit. I'm still trying to figure out how low carb I should go. My blood glucose is fine now. I'm interested in the reduction of pain and inflammation suggested in this study. However I would probably have to stay under 50 grams of carbs/day, at most, to get those effects, if it even works.

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0008349
  • nicintime
    nicintime Posts: 381 Member
    Options

Truth
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    @lithezebra, I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia in 1999 and have suffered awful pain since then. To the point where I have been unable to work for the past ten years. I began LCHF in March, 2015, right at the 100gm level. I quickly adjusted to 50gm and after a couple of weeks noticed a marked improvement in my daily pain. I joined the Meativore May challenge, here in this group. The challenge was to eat only from the animal kingdom, for the month of May. This took me down to 10-15gm, and I felt really good for the first time since I could remember. I've continued to be primarily meativore since the results have been so great! Plus, I just got a job, today!!! This woe has changed my life!!

Op, I'm so glad to hear you say what you believe about the sugar lobbyists and what they feed you to say as physicians! We've suffered a terrible deception. I believe "they" know it, just can't decide who to point the fingers at (Lord, the litigation behind this if it does go mainstream)! I guess, being an RN, it upsets me that I've led patients down the same path with information that was detrimental to their health!
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    @lithezebra, I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia in 1999 and have suffered awful pain since then. To the point where I have been unable to work for the past ten years. I began LCHF in March, 2015, right at the 100gm level. I quickly adjusted to 50gm and after a couple of weeks noticed a marked improvement in my daily pain. I joined the Meativore May challenge, here in this group. The challenge was to eat only from the animal kingdom, for the month of May. This took me down to 10-15gm, and I felt really good for the first time since I could remember. I've continued to be primarily meativore since the results have been so great! Plus, I just got a job, today!!! This woe has changed my life!!
    Congratulations on all of your healthy changes, Karlottap!
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    Thank you! Wanted you to hear a first hand account of what this woe can do for people who suffer from chronic pain. I've heard of many others in this group.

Thanks OP for letting me step in there! :smiley:
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

Nicely phrased. :)

I am another who is excited to see a doctor looking into this WOE. I am prediabetic and went against my endocrinologist's advice to "eat more fruits an veggies and leaner cuts of meat." It's stressful to go against a doctor's orders even if I am pretty sure that my way is more correct for me.
  • SteveKroll
    SteveKroll Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Good to see you here, doc. A year ago, I was diagnosed with type 2. My A1c at that time was 12.5, and fasting BG was 288. Thanks to a ketogenic type diet, the results of my last physical showed A1c is now 5.2 and my fasting BG is consistently between 79 and 85. Lipid profile has improved drastically as well.