Day 1 of Paleo/Primal Diet

norcogrrl
norcogrrl Posts: 129 Member
Yesterday I saw my physician about my chronic heartburn . . . I had no idea the can of worms I was opening.

The conversation went from my heartburn, to my completely bipolar insulin levels (always a bit too high or a bit too low, and never close to "perfect"), to my chronically itchy skin, and then to the subcutaneous blubber that sits around my 42-year-old midsection (which he actually grabbed and jiggled!).

I was told to cut out all grains, starchy vegetables, all but high fat dairy, all "overly sugary" fruits, and all refined sugar. Something in my brain niggled at me as he rattled off all of my new dietary restrictions, as it sounded familiar to me. I asked him what this new eating plan is commonly called. He said "Paleo." (Google has since advised me that it is more of a paleo/primal hybrid diet, if I understand things correctly).

He told me to change my diet, and come back in eight weeks. He said he'd know just by looking at me if I had followed his instructions. And, if I did listen to him, I'd be eager to continue with this new way of eating.

He came across as an evangelical jerk, but he got his point across.

I really just wanted an "easy fix" prescription for heartburn medication. I wasn't planning on actually changing anything when I went in to see him yesterday. He did give me a prescription, but he also advised me that I would only get six months worth out of him. He is vehemently against prescribing drugs when a natural solution to the issue exists, and he feels this diet will eliminate my heartburn (along with other improvements).

I keep telling myself that this isn't going to kill me.

My diet has been foiled already today (there is a lesson in that for me). I stopped at Tim Horton's to get a coffee on the way to work, and I ordered it with cream and no sugar. I was half way to work before I had a sip, and I discovered there was sugar in it. The writing on the lid of the cup ("2C" in china marker) clearly indicated that my order was clear, and it was understood that it was just supposed to have two cream in it. Grrrr.

The lesson? "Trust no one."

I'm actually feeling pretty hostile about the dietary restrictions today. But, I'll get over this. Right?

Replies

• Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 409 Member
    Yes. You will get over it. I got put on Paleo by my doctor too, over a year ago. I only get heartburn now when I drink too much alcohol (or go on a food vacation) and same for my itchy hands and feet - they only happen when I don't pay attention to my alcohol and overly processed foods intake. I love the simple way of eating Paleo. You might start googling about it - check out Paleo Leap, Robb Wolf, Mark Sisson. Also check out Whole30 and Paleo and/or Whole30 recipes online.
  • norcogrrl
    Thanks, Kimberly and newmeadow.

My doc was forceful and incredibly demanding, and I committed to eight weeks of this (basically to shut him up). I'm now on day 6, and I can honestly say that I see the value in this. I'm confident that this is the way to do it for me, and I want to continue to do it this way.

While there are a few downsides that I'm coping with, the simple fact that this way of eating has eliminated my disordered eating (binging, eating due to boredom, eating for comfort, eating for an emotional boost, eating beyond fullness, etc.) is proof enough for me that this is how I should be doing it.
  • brennerjlb
    brennerjlb Posts: 720 Member
    I changed on my own. Sometimes though "proving" you can do it to someone is good motivation. The trick is - I think...to not give up. I did really well for 3-4 weeks and then backslid. A couple of family parties, a number of sweets later and I am getting back on track. it is difficult with all the choices we have. Most paleo diets say if you can follow it 85% of the time you will reap the benefits. I find if I eat sweets I CRAVE sweets. It has become so evident. I craved cookies with my coffee every AM and usually indulged. now that I eat a couple of eggs each AM - I don't crave as badly. my hubby even has oreos in house that I can leave alone(although I don't keep them in sight) So - my advice keep trying. It does make me feel better when I am following it. The more processed junk I eat the worse I feel. It does make a difference. Just try....very hard to get past the first week and then like I said keep on keeping on, even if you do slip at times. (:
    Good luck - and remember that smug attitude you got and keep trying to prove to him you can do it (:
  • cmarangi
    cmarangi Posts: 131 Member
    My suggestion is to read, read, read! When I find my motivation waning (my entire family thinks I'm crazy about this way of eating, but the joke is that I'm healthier than all of them! ha!) I break open my Robb Wolf and Mark Sisson books and remind myself the science behind how I'm eating and how what I put in my mouth affects my body. At 43 I have never felt better or stronger.

Mark Sisson suggests shooting for the 80/20 rule of eating (where you are completely on plan 80 percent of the time) but I would suggest that you wait on that concept until you are firmly rooted in your new lifestyle. When I go off it's still sometimes hard to pull myself back in.

Feel free to add me as a friend if you want some support.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    edited November 2015
    I had chronic severe heartburn all of my life. They put me on meds (to reduce acid when the problem was likely already due to low acid!), wanted to do surgery, etc etc. And it's "genetic" supposedly as the problems "run in my family". The only time I have zero heart burn is on a Paleo diet, ideally with few plants, no dairy, and mostly animal meat/fat.

If you are feeling hostile towards a lifestyle it won't be doable. If you are determined to try it, change the focus to what you CAN have. Who can't love ribeye steak? Seafood in butter? Bacon?

I'd give anything to find a doctor like yours. Anything. I'm so envious.

(I urge caution with the 80/20 thing. As a person who supposedly had Binge Eating disorder, other "psychological" disorders (they were physiological...) and a huge list of ailments - but I was actually malnourished and diabetic instead- that is a sure way to fail fail fail. I'm sure 80/20 is terrific for people who are already completely healthy, otherwise, nope. But you can figure out where you fall by trial and error. When your diet is right you won't struggle except for maybe the first two weeks- which are HELL btw.)
  • norcogrrl
    Thanks for all of the great info and feedback, everyone. :)
    I'd give anything to find a doctor like yours. Anything. I'm so envious.

He's truly amazing. He spent years working for "Doctors Without Borders" in Africa. As a result he isn't a pill pusher, and he's very big on alternative therapies, methods, and treatments. He believes in curing the disease and not just the symptoms. Unfortunately, he's retiring soon. :(

newmeadow wrote: »
    Interestingly, one of the 12 Step food fellowships eliminates all the foods Paleo does as a means of treating everything you listed above. That's how I stumbled upon Paleo, although the fellowship calls it something else.

That is very interesting. I'm going to have to investigate that further.
  • Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 409 Member
    cmarangi wrote: »
    My suggestion is to read, read, read! When I find my motivation waning (my entire family thinks I'm crazy about this way of eating, but the joke is that I'm healthier than all of them! ha!) I break open my Robb Wolf and Mark Sisson books and remind myself the science behind how I'm eating and how what I put in my mouth affects my body. At 43 I have never felt better or stronger.

Mark Sisson suggests shooting for the 80/20 rule of eating (where you are completely on plan 80 percent of the time) but I would suggest that you wait on that concept until you are firmly rooted in your new lifestyle. When I go off it's still sometimes hard to pull myself back in.

Feel free to add me as a friend if you want some support.

This is me. Every time I had a question about Paleo I found myself in a rabbit-hole on Paleo Leap or one of the other sites.
  • brennerjlb
    brennerjlb Posts: 720 Member
    I agree on the reading part as well. Find out how bad all that other stuff is for us and it helps stay on track. Food = fuel. I wish I could only eat because my body needs it. I wish it was that easy. Should be. i often resist processed foods only because of my remembering all the bad things about them (: The ONLY good thing is they are often easy. Be sure you are prepared for quick fixes. someone told me once they put an apple in the middle of the table. When they wanted something sweet, salty, snacky - whatever they had to eat the apple first. If they weren't hungry enough to eat the apple, then they really weren't hungry. I go by that rule quite often (: You can add me also!
  • norcogrrl
    Thanks, folks. I've just finished reading "The Paleo Solution . . . ." What a fabulous and engaging read. :)
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Norcogrrl, you might want to look up candida diet. Ignore any site that includes grains, legumes and starches like potatoes. As my doctor put it, no root veggies, no fruit except occasional berry and lots of protein plus leafy greens. Your symptoms are consistent with too many Candida in your gut. Paleo may get you feeling better but if it doesn't fully work, suggest this is worth exploring. Own experience only, note I have taken Dr advice but I am not one myself.
  • norcogrrl
    Thanks, SamandaIndia. It looks like the Candida diet includes something that I've been advised against eating (non-glutinus grains and sweeteners). But, I do think I'm going to incorporate some of the antifungals into my diet. :)
  • JinksE21
    JinksE21 Posts: 77 Member
    When I made the change to Paleo, I had issues with heartburn which had never really been a problem for me. A friend who works in a health store recommended taking digestive enzymes before eating every meal. After a few days of doing that, it went away and I haven'had any issues since and I haven't had to take anymore digestive enzymes.