KIDS NEED LESS SUGAR AND MORE FAT

Options
Spread the word….. from the UK:

KIDS NEED LESS SUGAR AND MORE FAT
http://www.newshour.com.bd/2015/10/25/kids-need-less-sugar-and-more-fat/

Independent scientists and nutritionists at the Alliance for Natural Health International (ANH-Intl) have today published new guidelines for healthy eating for children.

The guidelines stress the need to help children to shift from burning carbohydrates as their primary energy source to healthy fats, including ones derived from whole milk products, olive oil, nut and seed oils, coconut oil and intramuscular fats in meat. They also call on dramatic reductions in sugar intake, recent increases in consumption being attributed to misinformed government policies to reduce saturated fats.
HORRAY…..

Robert Verkerk PhD, lead author of the ANH-Intl’s Food4Kids guidelines, said, “We believe government guidelines are out of step with recent nutritional science.”

http://anhinternational.org

Verkerk confirming the "Healthy soils, Healthy Gut" info also proposed by Dr. Terry Wahls

The power of healthy soils and quality foods
( from an organic health tradeshow 7/2015)

"What we eat depends on what foods we like or are available to us, their overall nutrient and energy profile, and how they’re grown and produced. What we absorb depends on our gut health and especially our gut microorganisms. Our food plants are equally dependent on microorganisms in the soil to fully absorb minerals and other nutrients, many of which are increasingly depleted because of the intensification of agriculture. "

"Ever wondered why some fresh produce tastes great while others can be tasteless. Does this make any difference to you health-wise? What evolutionary connections do we have with our food – and how can a knowledge of this make a difference to the way we feel? Rob Verkerk PhD, agricultural and health sustainability expert, will help you to understand just how important your choice of foods is to your health. He will reveal the amazing similarities between the symbiotic relationships that both humans and plants have with microorganisms, in the gut and soil respectively.

Replies

• KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Think the WHO will release this one to the media? Fat chance (pun intended, lol)! Wonderful article that, I believe, we all agree with. Thank you for posting, and GO UK for allowing this to be out there! A little at a time, right?!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I'm working right now. Can't wait to get a chance to read this!
  • esaucier17
    esaucier17 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I need to get my son off so much sugar. He is addicted to it. I am trying to get our whole family eating better but they are so stubborn. It's my own fault he eats too much sugar and carbs...I've shopped for him his whole life (he is only 9) but it is such a hard habit to break. I don't have as hard a time as he or my husband do because growing up we rarely had sugar. No soda, no candy, no cookie or crap in our house. I hated it when I was little but am thankful now.
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    Find lc things he likes out of what he does eat (different recipes, look at interest for ideas to incorporate his tastes) Once you find what he likes you will have helped him more than anything!
  • esaucier17
    Options
    He does like quite a few LC things...celery and ranch, cheeses, pretty much any meat, pickles just to name a few. but he also loves chips, cookies, pancakes, sugar crap cereals, pasta and sandwiches ONLY on white bread almost everyday for lunch! I wish I would have started younger when he didn't know and he would just be used to it now. I am going to start buying less and less and see how it goes.
  • esaucier17
    Options
    A big thing for me though is he is very thin...has his father's metabolism so I've always just let him eat whatever because he has never and will never have a weight problem. Which isn't a good reason because it's still food that isn't good for him no matter what his weight. And I know that, it's just always been in the back of my mind.
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Apparently I'm an overprotective, over-controlling mom for not wanting my kids to eat a lot of sweets. Every time I share information and/or my preferences for what my kids eat with my in-laws, there is a backlash (via my husband) in the form of concern that my children won't be able to enjoy their childhoods due to lack of sugar. Seriously? Ugh. We had dessert once a week in my home growing up. Once a week. Sometimes less often. And we did not have sweet cereals or Pop-Tarts. Pancakes were an occasional thing, so syrup was rare. We had soda very rarely. Candy was never in our home except for Halloween, Valentine's Day, Easter, and Christmas. (We did, however, drink fruit juices and eat a lot of carbs like pasta and potatoes.) I NEVER felt deprived. Never. Why would my own children be any different? They don't miss it unless they are used to it and then you take it away. And my kids are so young that the transition would be super easy. But I digress. Thank you for sharing this article! I've passed it along (of course) and anticipate another round of "but they're kids!"
  • kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    "but they're kids"!! The whole mentality of rewarding and celebrating with food is such a huge source of the overall problem in society and drives me crazy. Why can't the "treat" be actually spending time with the grandparents or whatever (so thankful that my mom is on the same wave length because she fought such a battle with my grandma when I was young lol). I catch myself occasionally doing it too but I am working really hard at using events and activities instead.
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Mami..you are describing the ENTIRE USA eating pattern before Ancel Keys disrupted the nation's diet with the "eat High Grains" food pyramid… looking back at images of 1910 teens, 1940s children and teens, and up thru the 1970s…everyone was normal weight, with one or two overweight…T2 diabetes was unheard of.

Then President Eisenhower had 3 heart attacks ( he was thin, not fat) and we all went crazy to avoid fats and heart attacks based on the power of Ancel Keyes to influence politics. Dr. Adkins, one of few who did advocate fats in the diet as good for us, was vilified by all his peers and run out of town during this "Dietary Advice for the Nation" process.
  • esaucier17
    Options
    Mami1976D wrote: »
    Apparently I'm an overprotective, over-controlling mom for not wanting my kids to eat a lot of sweets. Every time I share information and/or my preferences for what my kids eat with my in-laws, there is a backlash (via my husband) in the form of concern that my children won't be able to enjoy their childhoods due to lack of sugar. Seriously? Ugh. We had dessert once a week in my home growing up. Once a week. Sometimes less often. And we did not have sweet cereals or Pop-Tarts. Pancakes were an occasional thing, so syrup was rare. We had soda very rarely. Candy was never in our home except for Halloween, Valentine's Day, Easter, and Christmas. (We did, however, drink fruit juices and eat a lot of carbs like pasta and potatoes.) I NEVER felt deprived. Never. Why would my own children be any different? They don't miss it unless they are used to it and then you take it away. And my kids are so young that the transition would be super easy. But I digress. Thank you for sharing this article! I've passed it along (of course) and anticipate another round of "but they're kids!"

This is how I grew up and I am upset with myself for not being more serious about the junky sugar foods with my son who is most precious to me. And here I am letting him put bad foods into his little body. I am trying to wean him off a lot of it. I don't buy soda. I never buy candy just to have in the house. But I need to ease him off the sugary cereals, pancakes covered in syrup and cookies and such.
    And the grandparent thing...ugh. My mom let him have ice cream for breakfast one time. She says he can have whatever he wants at Grammy's. Drives me nuts.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I just read this week developing Type 2 diabetes increases risk of cancer by 300%. The number of kids in middle school who are morbidly obese really concerns me as it is predicted to drive up the # that develop cancer down the road.
  • kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Society in general is also bad for not allowing kids to listen to their own cues for eating enough. How often are children told to finish their plates after saying they are full. A regular battle with my SO... he puts huge amounts of food on his boys' plate and expects them to finish... I agree in not wasting, but would rather see them get a much smaller serving and then a 2nd helping if they are truly still hungry rather than overeating. I also agree that if they are "full" they don't get a different food choice 30 minutes later... but adults can't possibly judge how much a child is able to eat at that point in time and we shouldn't be forcing them to finish their plates!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Society in general is also bad for not allowing kids to listen to their own cues for eating enough. How often are children told to finish their plates after saying they are full. A regular battle with my SO... he puts huge amounts of food on his boys' plate and expects them to finish... I agree in not wasting, but would rather see them get a much smaller serving and then a 2nd helping if they are truly still hungry rather than overeating. I also agree that if they are "full" they don't get a different food choice 30 minutes later... but adults can't possibly judge how much a child is able to eat at that point in time and we shouldn't be forcing them to finish their plates!

So true! My husband doesn't make our sons plate but he is definitely of the mindset that you always eat breakfast and you always eat at meal times. I've always believed in following hunger cues even before LC, so I always made sure to give a small serving and make sure he was offered seconds if desired.
    My sister in law would load her daughters plate up and she wasn't allowed to leave the table until it was empty. That poor child would sit there and cry and even literally got sick occasionally but her mom always said it was because she was making herself sick by crying. :(
    Sister in law ended up with gastric bypass surgery a few years ago and both of her daughters are obese. The oldest one has reproductive issues of some kind and has plans to try to conceive by IVF due to a same sex marriage, not because she's proven unable to so far. I don't know if her health will make it possible.
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    In the UK there was recently a government commissioned report that recommended a sugar tax to put up the price if sweets, fizzy drinks etc. based on evidence this would reduce consumption, but the prime minister isn't minded to do this...

I followed recommendactions from the past and now have 1 major carb addict of 11 years old, physically and emotionally a teenager tho'. The 9 year old is more amenable to healthy fats but loves her fruit as encouraged by me in the past. How do I go about changing their habits and preferences? I hardly cook for my older one as she eats her own choice at school, usually carbs, and quite often gets dinner from my mum in law. Plus she eats sweets at any opportunity... I have tried to encourage more bacon which is about the only non carb thing she likes. I made chilli yesterday and she did eat that. Any success stories you want to share?
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    Hey @totaloblivia, I believe some of the recipes are made for the younger generation. Finding what the younger ones will eat will hep then maybe you can slowly transition to more low carb options once taste is realized. (?maybe, without the label of "good for you") my 18 year old son does provide most of his own food (mostly because I'm not paying for carbage) so I figure the best course of action is leading by example at this s point. Until they realize the full benefit for themselves (as young adults) there isn't much more one can do. Best of luck!!
  • fuelednfit
    fuelednfit Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I have been quite liberal with my son and kind of let him decide what he wants to eat and since he was 1y old he loves dipping is food in olive oil. Tuna in olive oil meat balls in olive oil eggs soaked in olive oil and I was always so surprise what a weird kid. I believe kids are still very well connected with their natural instinct and body. So given a chance to eat what they crave and given a chance to stop eating when they are full they should do better then us...unless we altered their natural instinct by not offering appropriate variety of food or by forcing them to eat or finish a plate while they insist they are full
    Over all this is great news and i truly hope people will finally open their mind about high fat.
  • ndvoice
    ndvoice Posts: 161 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    It's never too late to start kids on a good diet. My son was raised on a traditional American healthy diet - occasional pasta, occasional sweets, mostly healthy foods. But he was put on (required) meds that greatly increase his chances of developing diabetes.....tenfold.
    Now, he has no juice, protein snacks, limited fruit, yogurts, hard boiled eggs, cheese, nuts, low carb ice cream for dessert. I've been able to keep his insulin levels under control & tests have been fine. On a funny note - when he was in the hospital eating a hospital diet - he started spilling sugar and ketones in his urine. They were VERY concerned. Once home & returned to eating low carb, his tests are normal again. Ha! The Low carb lifestyle rocks!!
    On a side note - my son has always been thin, with a low BMI. He hasn't lost or gained as a result of changing his diet. But his heart & his risk for diabetes is so much better.
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas folks!
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    Mami..you are describing the ENTIRE USA eating pattern before Ancel Keys disrupted the nation's diet with the "eat High Grains" food pyramid… looking back at images of 1910 teens, 1940s children and teens, and up thru the 1970s…everyone was normal weight, with one or two overweight…T2 diabetes was unheard of.

Then President Eisenhower had 3 heart attacks ( he was thin, not fat) and we all went crazy to avoid fats and heart attacks based on the power of Ancel Keyes to influence politics. Dr. Adkins, one of few who did advocate fats in the diet as good for us, was vilified by all his peers and run out of town during this "Dietary Advice for the Nation" process.

So, if you smoked 4 packs of cigarettes a day wouldn't it make sense you'd be thin? Eisenhower had more than 3 heart attacks and he did stop smoking 3 years prior to the first heart attack. I'm sure his smoking had nothing to do with his overall health. Oh wait. . . .

And if you want a good read check out Keys article in 1961 in Time magazine. In terms of diet and terminology it is pretty cool. He defined high cholesterol as above 240-360. I'm not certain people today can raise their cholesterol to 240 and disprove his information but they certainly could try.

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Ugh, that's a battle I'm fighting on all fronts, including my son, himself. I wish I'd known 5 or 6 years ago what I know now, because I would have completely ignored the "cereal first" approach (thankfully, he was never keen on baby cereal, so was largely introduced to fruits and veggies first) and would have kept him off the sugar as long as humanly possible.

Thankfully, my son doesn't have much of a sweet tooth. He's not one for baked sweets, except donuts. Halloween candy is a different beast, but I don't keep that stuff around, so he has a few pieces at the candy holidays and the rest "mysteriously disappears" after a day or two.

My biggest fight right now is getting him to eat meat of any sort. Right now, I'm resigned to hotdogs, fish sticks, and chicken nuggets. I get the best quality I can for them, but I really wish he'd eat more "pure" forms of meat (steak, ham, chicken, anything), but no amount of anything will get him to do so. His main source of pure sugar is from fruit -- namely, apples, blueberries, and strawberries -- when I can keep him away from the donuts. Unfortunately, we have a Tim Horton's right by our house, in such a place that we have to go by it to get anywhere, so he's constantly reminded of that, and it's the only thing offered that he'll eat whenever we go to a coffee shop.

Then...there's grandma's. Sugary cereal, sweetened almond milk (he's lactose intolerant, so no fluid dairy milk), endless chocolate almond milk, M&Ms, and whatever he wants to eat when eating out, which is usually macaroni and cheese with french fries.

And he's at that age where he doesn't want to try anything new (even if it's the same thing he's had and just looks different), so changing anything currently established is a fight unto itself.