Laundering Running Gear

Options
2»

Replies

• kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    I've been using several brands over the past 6 weeks and I can say for certain that they are working on my new clothes. Some of my older shirts are still stinky but I never did use the vinegar as was suggested. I may have to try that.

So far I like the WIN brand the best. Sports Suds is OK but the smell is too neutral. I also tried a brand called HEX from my local supermarket. I like it but the packaging is horrible. It makes quite a mess on my counter. I will not get that brand again.

I use HEX because it was the only one my super market had. The packaging is indeed awful. I just pour it directly into the washer instead of using the little cut that comes attached. But seriously; there's a reason every other detergent comes in a hard-sided jug and not a weird bag, HEX!
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    I use the Sam's Club house brand detergent, because it's cheap and it works. I have a 4 tsp (1.3 Tbsp) measuring spoon that I will fill level for small loads and rounded for running clothes. I also put distilled white vinegar in the fabric softener container, up to the max fill line. This is less than the half cup I was using in my old washer, perhaps about a quarter cup; but it seems to be enough. I also make sure to wash my shirts inside out, to get the armpit odors taken care of.

I pitched a lot of smelly shirts before I learned to use distilled white vinegar and wash the shirts inside out.
  • dan323
    dan323 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    After the run I hang my clothes to dry. Once in a while I may use a little vinegar, but thats maybe 2 or 3 times in a year. I wash mine in cold water with Purex detergent, no softer, and then I hang them to dry. I never had a stink problem on my running clothes.
  • rrcoffey
    rrcoffey Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I use white vinegar in place of fabric softener and wash on a normal cold water cycle. They end up smelling like the detergent I use (Tide Pods with Febreeze).

Actually, I use white vinegar as fabric softener on all my laundry. It's fantastic on towels . . . they get SO fluffy :)
  • brenstar05
    brenstar05 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    tufel wrote: »
    We just by Tide with Febreze. Problem solved for us.

This is what I do as well.... I throw my sweaty clothes in the hamper, wash on the weekend in the Tide Sport with Febreeze and then tumble dry on low heat. I haven't had any issues with smelliness...

I also have a front load washer, which can sometimes smell if you don't leave the door open to allow the washer to dry out when not in use. This smell can transfer onto your clothes, so if you have a front load washer, make sure you leave the door open when not in use. You can clean your washer to get rid of the smell too. I use Affresh cleaner in mine. #employee