Options
emmab0902
emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
Hi everyone. I am a 45yo from New Zealand who is a semi new runner. I love swimming and do it competitively. I want to love running but so far it's only grim tolerance lol.

Replies

• juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Welcome to the Dual athlete - runners world @emmab0902 . As someone who has seen your swim routines from the Did You Swim post and knowing your swimming fitness level is amazing you will be amazing at this. I added running to my routine in August 2014 because the pool was closing for September maintenance and I just need to move. When I started a 1 km run was a major accomplishment. Now 5km is a minimum run, normal is 7-10 km and long runs of 17 km.

Like the swimmers group the runners group here is really strong and supportive.
    I have a feeling that a C25K program might not be appropriate for you but you might try an abridged version ( that's what I did ) to ease yourself in. Come and join us in the November Challenge http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1269002/current-challange-location-and-admin-stuff#Item_23. My goal for November will be 140km, which could be an interesting challenge as we are getting into the Dark Dog Days of winter where its is dark when you go to work and dark when you get home, where as you are going into the best of summer on the North Island.

@Stoshew71 has been our Host for lack of any better Description and a search of his posts will lead to lots of great links and information. A great example is found near the bottom of Pg 43 - October Challenge where he drops in links to a great collection of articles. https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10261576/october-2015-running-challenge/p43

Warning - next thing you know you will have to get a road bike to complete a Triathlon.

Well I am off to meet my local Running Club members as it is Hill Day and I need another 7km to get my 140km goal.
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    Haha no way will I be doing triathlon - haven't even owned a bike since 1997 lol.
  • citylife624
    citylife624 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Grim tolerance is a good way to describe how I feel about running, too. However, I'm so determined to run that, even though I want to quit daily, I refuse to let running "beat me". So I remind myself that I'm the boss of my body and get in my run. Also a newbie runner for the past five months.