Help with head hunger in the road.

Options
orlybayu
orlybayu Posts: 125 Member
This is the BIGGEST problem I have on my weight loss journey. I go to school everyday 8:30-3:30 and bring my own healthy lunch to eat at 11:30. By the time I get out of school and my mom picks me up it's usually 4 and I'm STARVING. I live about 30-45min from my school and I give in every time to fast food places that I pass by. Even if she brings me food from home, I feel... unsatisfied of inconsolable? Any tips? I feel if I drove myself from school id be more concentrated on the road itself and not the food places, but I don't. :/

Replies

• orlybayu
    orlybayu Posts: 125 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Meant "on the road" :D:|
  • sfinsc
    sfinsc Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I also like to eat on the road on my commute to and from work. What works for me is always having a big bottle of water filled up and a pack of gum. I chew gum and drink water the entire way home (or to work) and it helps. OTOH, if you really are hungry, eating a small snack like a granola bar to tide you over before you do the water/gum thing helps, too. You don't want to get a hunger headache.
  • sfinsc
    sfinsc Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I also listen to a podcast or something interesting to distract me so I don't feel like eating (I eat when bored).
  • hotcoffee692
    hotcoffee692 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    It sounds like by the time you get some food at 4:00, your hunger is already so big that it's hard to feel satisfied. Can you have a snack any earlier? Pack yourself something to eat at 3:30? Or earlier than that, if that's something you can do at school. Something with protein would be ideal - nuts? jerky? cheese? along with some fruit or whole grain crackers.

Are you eating enough calories in your lunch? Enough protein, fat and whole grains to keep you going for a while?
  • mysteps2beauty
    mysteps2beauty Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Big protein packed breakfast to start....
    Eat breakfast like a king, eat lunch like a prince, dine like a pauper....

You can adjust the amounts to suit but sounds like you are not eating enough calories early in the day. Protein needs to be in all your meals including your snacks. (Yes, I did this when I lost 45 pounds 10 years ago).

Omelettes are wonderful, with veggies, a little cheese maybe some bacon, though just for taste, with a side of whole grain toast.....I know seems it would be hard to do in the morning but can be done.

or try a protein shake with high quality mixes,

and an apple is wonderfully satisfying cause it's sweet and has lots of fiber and is juicy, plus low in calories.