Anyone else just starting...

Options
Two years ago I was able to walk/run a half marathon, and was doing 5k/10ks every couple months...I would love to jump on the bandwagon again. I am hoping to start C25K now, and be able to sign up for a new years day 5k...I have a goal of doing races next year 10 out of the 12 months. I am obese with at least 100lbs to lose, so my times might be slower and I might have to redo a couple weeks but progress is progess :). If anyone else is starting out and wants a friend to chat with, help hold accountable and motivate each other add me!

Replies

• sarahredhaira
    sarahredhaira Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm new to this forum. Half way through week 2 of C25k. I've never run at all before! Can't imagine being able to run 5k at the moment!
  • MimiOfTheLusciousLawn
    MimiOfTheLusciousLawn Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm not new to c25k, should graduate tomorrow, but I am very new to running and I, too, am obese with at least 100 more to lose. I am also the slowest runner I know!! Welcome to the group!
  • AmyMgetsfit
    AmyMgetsfit Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    After an 18 month break because of an injury and health issues I started back on c25k a month ago. I was surprised to see I wasn't completely back to square one.
  • drhelibhatt
    drhelibhatt Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Just starting, never ran before but really want to...
  • vicky1947mfp
    vicky1947mfp Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Did day 1 today. I am a 68 year old female and am now on maintenance having lost 40 lbs. I have been walk/jogging 10,000 steps daily and want to see how far I can take this C25K.

I probably should have started this during warmer weather. Had to do it on the treadmill today because it is raining here in NC.

We'll see how it goes.

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    616bba875822eb3ee9e430a341757697.jpg
  • Blackdawn_70631
    Blackdawn_70631 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Is there a thread for newbies on those needing help on a treadmill?
    Tried jogging today on my treadmill and liked how my heart was pounding. It felt great. But the gait of the treadmill is to short for my long legs that takes long strides. However I didn't know I had to hop into the jog. Once I figured it out it was pretty easy. But then my knees were wanting to hurt.
    I do have arthritis in both knees with cartilage chipping off in both and will eventually require surgery. However I have purchased some new vitamins from gnc that are physician approved, soften the joints and keeps the cartilage healthy.
    May be to late for me, but I don't care.
    I was born deaf, suffered through brain seizures as a child, learned how to read at 10 because of that. Then discovered I have equines deformity in both my feet causing my Plantar fasciitis which is now followed by my knees.
    I don't take no for an answer. I keep on going. However, it would be really awesome if I could get some pointers on how I can do this.
    I live in a rural area and don't walk on our road because we have reckless, speeding drivers on our road. This I know by experience because I tried walking on the road with my dog and it wasn't working. Drivers see me and don't slow down or veer over, forcing me to jump into the ditch or woods then gun the throttle as they speed past me.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    @Blackdawn_70631 Sorry to hear about the Dirt Bag Drivers you have had to deal with.

This is probably the group you want to be in as a newbie. Lots of support and encouragement.
    Your Treadmill - How Long is the Deck? Sounds like it might be to short for your Height/Leg Length. If it is a recent purchase see if you can trade up to a model with a longer Deck. I have seen some that are fairly short at 45 in which would be a nightmare for almost anyone to try and run on.

If you get a chance when visiting/shopping in a surrounding community check out different TM's in Gym,s - explain the problem to them and see if they will comp you a day pass so you can try out the different TM's.
    Try this link for a Treadmill Buyers Guide; http://www.treadmillreviews.ca/treadmill-buyers-guide/ Where they have a good description of features and seem to be un-biased towards particular brands.
  • SharoninBeaufort
    SharoninBeaufort Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I am starting on Monday after over a year out with injuries and gaining 25 pounds. Yikes!
  • vicky1947mfp
    Options
    I am 68 and just completed week 1. Do you guys think I am too old to complete C25k? I don't want to do permanent damage to myself. I am at goal weight of 120. So mot carrying around any extra.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    I am 68 and just completed week 1. Do you guys think I am too old to complete C25k? I don't want to do permanent damage to myself. I am at goal weight of 120. So mot carrying around any extra.

You are never too old. Make sure you have good running shoes and the okay of your doctor. Listen to your body- there is a difference between aches and pains from starting a new exercise program and aches and pains from injuries. Follow the program. Remember to go slow- you should be able to talk or sing while you are running, if you can't, you might need to slow down.
  • BethAnnieT
    BethAnnieT Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    agautney27 wrote: »
    Two years ago I was able to walk/run a half marathon, and was doing 5k/10ks every couple months...I would love to jump on the bandwagon again. I am hoping to start C25K now, and be able to sign up for a new years day 5k...I have a goal of doing races next year 10 out of the 12 months. I am obese with at least 100lbs to lose, so my times might be slower and I might have to redo a couple weeks but progress is progess :). If anyone else is starting out and wants a friend to chat with, help hold accountable and motivate each other add me!

AWESOME GOALS. I love these goals. I might steal these goals. I am inspired by your goals, is what I'm saying.
    Goals goals goals. Starts to lose meaning after I say it so many times.... goallllls.

ANYWAY... I love the idea of doing races 10 out of 12 months. That's awesome! I just started C25K a couple of weeks ago. I'm officially on week 2 right now, because I'm having a hard time finding time to run during daylight hours... thinking I'll have to start running on my lunch break at work and on the weekends. I am using the Zombies to 5K running app. It's pretty fun so far! I also have the Fitness22 5KPro app on my phone, in case I need a change from the other one.

I would love to sign up for a 5K but man.... I don't have the confidence quite yet!
  • vicky1947mfp
    Options
    Just_Ceci wrote: »

You are never too old. Make sure you have good running shoes and the okay of your doctor. Listen to your body- there is a difference between aches and pains from starting a new exercise program and aches and pains from injuries. Follow the program. Remember to go slow- you should be able to talk or sing while you are running, if you can't, you might need to slow down.

Thanks Ceci. Just completed W2D1 and it was fine. Slow and steady. No aches or pains. Going to see how far I can go.
  • krawles
    krawles Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    BethAnnieT wrote: »
    agautney27 wrote: »
    I would love to sign up for a 5K but man.... I don't have the confidence quite yet!

Confidence will come from successfully completing your mission. You won't know until you just do it! It might also motivate you to complete the C25K challenge if you have the deadline of a race to finish. It really is all about the journey.
  • twinkle150
    twinkle150 Posts: 133 Member
    Options

You can always repeat a week if you are not ready to move on to the next week.
  • vicky1947mfp
    Options
    Did week3day1 today and was fine. Just going to go with it until it gets really hard and then may repeat.

I have no schedule to finish. Just keep moving!!!
  • martinbeks
    martinbeks Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting this program (again). The furthest I've gotten is week 4, but I always end up quitting. I was feeling good last week, but when I tried to run Sunday, and then again today, my legs were so tight and heavy-feeling. How do I prevent that? I really want to finish the program! Heck, I'd be happy to get halfway! :'(
  • vicky1947mfp
    Options
    I want to continue but I have noticed my back hurting some.

Did not equate it to C25K but just realized that it is on the days I do that.

Will try tomorrow and see if it happens again.

May not be worth it at my age (68). It may be fast paced walking for me.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    @vicky1947mfp It is normal to be in a little discomfort. However, it might be a form issue. Or it might be aged. fast paced walking is good too :)

@martinbeks i think the general advice is to slow down and make sure that you have the right shoes and support for your feet. If you are having issues now, it might be best to take a couple extra rest days. I took a week off because my calves wouldn't relax.
  • Riskay123
    Riskay123 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I am about to start it again. I completed it a few years ago and then stopped because of injury. I am in my last week of a fitness challenge run by my gym which I have found pretty tough. Before this I had not gotten off the couch for a long time. During the fitness challenge I found that my running stamina really let me down so I am coming back to C25K starting this weekend. I am hoping when the gym runs their next challenge in February I will not be the person with the worst fitness level. Starting to get hot here though so think I will have to start getting out on the pavement in the early morning. Please feel free to friend me if your early on in your C25K journey. I am looking for as much support as I can get and I would love to support you in return.