Day 4 Paleo/Primal Hybrid Diet

norcogrrl
norcogrrl Posts: 129 Member
I thought I would share some observations about what I'm experiancing.

My mood is extremely blasé. I'm not having any "ups" but I am having "downs." I get angry and temperamental very quickly. I have to shoot a hockey game today, and I'm a little worried about how I'm going to deal with a bunch of 7 and 8 year olds annoying me.

I'm doing okay with all of the candy in the house and the pizza in the fridge. The funny thing is that I don't care enough about them to be bothered with them. Last week I ate a pile of pizza, and this week I can't be bothered to even open the box and see what kind it is. There are still six cans of Coke in the fridge, and I'm not interested in touching them.

My balance has been quite off.

My 4:30 pm (I could set my clock by it) blood sugar crash appears to have vanished. While I still get hungry, I'm just getting "normal" hunger pains. There are no nauseous feelings accompanying my hunger.

My palate is changing. I never used to be able to drink coffee without loads of sugar. Now I find it sweet enough with a little bit of milk (which my doc is still allowing me to have).

I'm feeling as if I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I just wish I cared about being able to see it. ;)

I've ordered a FreeStyle Precision Neo to monitor my afternoon blood sugar levels. I want to make sure the benefits I think I'm seeing are not just psychosomatic and that they really are close to normal. The meter can also check for keytones, and it'll be nice to see what the levels in my blood are.

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Keep going! Once you get past a few weeks the sweets no longer control you. It's an amazing freedom.

(I gave up CARBage about 14 years ago)
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Guess I'm wondering why keep all those non-foods in the house? I can resist them terrifically; until the day I can't. My eight year old needs healthy food as much as I do... even more actually. (and don't assume I'm being holier than thou. I derailed four months ago and both my child and I are paying for it.)

I would also suggest to start relying less on external tests to prove a benefit. How you feel IS real proof. More real actually.
  • norcogrrl
    norcogrrl Posts: 129 Member
    Guess I'm wondering why keep all those non-foods in the house? I can resist them terrifically; until the day I can't. My eight year old needs healthy food as much as I do... even more actually. (and don't assume I'm being holier than thou. I derailed four months ago and both my child and I are paying for it.)

I would also suggest to start relying less on external tests to prove a benefit. How you feel IS real proof. More real actually.

I don't do the grocery shopping in our house (my husband does), and I don't pay for the groceries. I do not make specific requests for food purchases. If I want something specific, I buy it for myself. And, I won't request that my hardworking men (my carpenter husband and my 22-year-old pipefitter son) refrain from having what they want in the house (they do both try to be sensitive to my new dietary restrictions). They are adults and can decide what is appropriate for themselves. Our home is one where personal liberties are highly guarded and respected.

My six-year-old son eats exceptionally well throughout the week (Monday to Friday), as I have placed him in a childcare facility that has an excellent nutrition plan. His elementary school does not permit processed foods as snacks. His school will permit homemade cookies, but those are frowned on. One piece of fruit and plenty of veg are what they prefer to see. In the evenings and on weekends he can now eat what I'm having, or what his father and brother are having.

My husband is very interested in trying the new nutrition plan that I'm on, but he's not ready to jump on board quite yet. He wants to see how I do on it first.
  • Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 409 Member
    It sounds like you are doing great. That first week is "low-carb flu" week. Like Sabine says, just keep going and you'll feel great soon. When I got back from vacation and got back on the wagon, I went through that again. Moody and achy mostly. That passed and I feel well again. I understand about the not caring about the food - that's how I usually am about non-Paleo food. My daughter gets a small shelf in the kitchen for when she comes home from school for a couple days and wants something besides what I have, but that's all. Even when she comes home with something she got out, I'm not even fazed by it. You are doing great.
  • colorsatdawn
    colorsatdawn Posts: 4 Member
    Yeah, it does sound like "low carb flu" or "keto flu" -- assuming you ate high carb before. I definitely felt dizzy and moody when I went low carb. But it did clear up, and it got better. Sounds like you have the strength to hang on!
  • wanderinjack
    wanderinjack Posts: 248 Member
    Took me about two weeks to get over the carb flu. I look at it now as a detox period and so glad to be burning fat.