Replies

• ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Great thanks!!
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    New Rules of Lifting for Women is a great program for beginners! I followed that program for a long time. Then I followed Strong Curves which I liked as well. Now my arthritis isn't cooperating with lifting so I have been just taking occasional walks and doing some body weight routines.
  • robosphere
    robosphere Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I've also heard good things about New Rules of Lifting for Women
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    anglyn1 wrote: »
    New Rules of Lifting for Women is a great program for beginners! I followed that program for a long time. Then I followed Strong Curves which I liked as well. Now my arthritis isn't cooperating with lifting so I have been just taking occasional walks and doing some body weight routines.

I broke a bone in my knee. I should start strength training again soon, maybe starting with rehab exercises. I'm kind of scared, at this point, to do anything more than walking, swimming, and biking.
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Thanks for the link (auntstephie) and the other great ideas.
    I'm getting back into some lifting 2-3x week. Squats, lunges, planks are very good for toning and core strength.

Oh and Yoga, and walking, walking..
  • ettaterrell
    Options
    I despise walking on a treadmill but a friend told me to read while I walk, which I love to do so if it's possible to read and walk I might be able to manage this lol
  • ndvoice
    ndvoice Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    My best advice is to do what you enjoy. You want it to be something you can continue for life! So if you love to dance, maybe Zumba. If you like to walk, go walking. There's yoga, weights, so many options. Try things out and see what you like!
  • robosphere
    robosphere Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I agree with Ms. Voice. There are so many options. The only exercises I like are lifting weights, yard work, and golfing (walking, carrying my bag), so those are what I do. In the past, I'd run, because I thought that's what you do. The problem was, I HATED running. How long do you think I ever stuck with that? So much happier now that I've made peace with that.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I despise walking on a treadmill but a friend told me to read while I walk, which I love to do so if it's possible to read and walk I might be able to manage this lol

You can definitely read on a recumbent bike. I knit on one.
  • Lillith32
    Lillith32 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I do Strong Lifts 3 times a week, run two-three times a week (I do two run clubs plus usually a race on the weekend), and try for a short (30 minutes) cardio and body weight workout most mornings. On the weekends I also swim. I need to do more running and body weight (I get tested on those things for work), so my morning workouts will get extended and expanded soon.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options

I listen to audiobooks when I walk outside and when winter comes - I need to get my treadmill working again.
  • ettaterrell
    Options
    Bob314159 wrote: »

I listen to audiobooks when I walk outside and when winter comes - I need to get my treadmill working again.

I have never tried audio books maybe it's time!!! Thanks!!
  • chardh
    chardh Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I do zumba, kettlebells a few times a week and at times watch tv while I walk on the treadmill, if I didn't I would be bored to tears.