OCCUPY KEEBLER! Hold BigfoodCorp accountable?

Options
We need to take the fight to those in power…Michelle O backed off her "eat from the garden" approach after (unseen) food lobby pressure, and put the responsibility on the fat kids.. and their parents.. "Just exercise more and eat less" ..called: M.O.V.E. (our country lost a major opportunity for a turnaround in health right then.)

We are to follow the advice of 'portion control" or portion size, "sensible snacking" and with HFCS- "use in moderation" Right!! Bring on the 100 calorie packs!

No one dares complain to national food corps..after all it is "our choice" to be limited to just the outer grocery aisle if we want to avoid additives. (we 'health nuts' can pay $$$ for little bags of organic whatever..cause the other 318 Million just want CHEAP, Good tasting, fast food available 24/7.

We need to M.O.C.K. Keebler and sugar-adding companies: Mothers Opposed to Carbs Killing our kids..or better:
Fathers Upset over Carbage Killing our kids....FU** Giantfood Corp….. you get the picture.

This Easter I saw NEW sugar-added products: 38 gr sugar in JUST 6oz kid's yogurt..for the religious holiday*..with cute bunnies & cartoons on the container and REAL candy showing in a clear bubble on top….placed LOW on the shelf for children to see and demand…. Dannon & Yoplait say "Candy makes yogurt fun" on their website….no one complains? (*funny.. no rising Creator with handfuls of M&Ms..maybe next year's design.)

Next I get a 68 page Health Manual from my docs about what to eat… written by a national foundation advising me to consume CREMORA and Heinz Gravy in a jar… (also apple juice, diet jams, jellies, margarine, soy oils, white bread, cereals, and this IS the Diabetic Diet part!

Just to ruin your day Low Carbers here are the ingredients…..

HEINZ TURKEY GRAVY in a jar (instead of bone broth made at home)
Turkey Broth , Corn Starch Modified , Turkey , Wheat Flour , Salt , Monosodium Glutamate , Water , Chicken Fat , Canola Oil Partially Hydrogenated , Whey , Sodium Caseinate , Maltodextrin , Flavoring Natural , Caramel Color , Soy Protein Isolate , Mono and Diglycerides ,Spices , Yeast Extract Autolyzed , Lecithin , Dipotassium Phosphate , Safflower Oil*, Sodium Phosphate , Paprika Extractives , Citric Acid , Gelatin

CREMORA (instead of evil saturated fat Heavy Cream right from the cow)
Ingredients:
Partially hydrogenated vegetable oil (coconut, canola, and/or palm kernel), corn syrup solids, sugar, sodium caseinate (a milk derivative), dipotassium phosphate, monoglycerides, natural flavor, salt, silicon dioxide, sodium tripolyphosphate, vitamin E acetate, DATEM, lutein, artificial color, soy lecithin

BOTH have hydrogenated oils, (and Safflower is the most inflammatory per Dr. Volek) MSG, sugar, HFCS..you know them all. and MANY kinds of unnatural Phosphates and Potassium..which harm kidneys.

In the same manual is advice to AVOID the bad Saturated Fats and eat and cook with "Heart Healthy" margarine…

Feeding an entire huge country when few live on or near a farm is a big job. Too bad so many additives and preservatives are needed to keep shipped foods "fresh" and "shelf life" safe for profit, over our national health.

Replies

• ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    I so love your posts...I love that there are others like you out there who are as passionate about their health and what they eat as I am. Thank you for sharing and I hope you never lose your passion!
  • KetoGirl83
    KetoGirl83 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Big corps care about nothing but money. They will always try to sell as much as possible while keeping costs as low as possible. We can pressure them by not buying their cr#p. The more people make educated choices and support real food the more of those options we'll see.

Btw, diabetes diet is a scandal. I am supposed to eat every 2-3 hours, an apple and a couple of biscuits... "to keep blood sugar stable and avoid getting hungry"!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I never understood that diabetes diet advice.
    My sister has been following it and consistently gaining weight at a pretty fast rate, especially since she finally started taking networking. :/
  • Lillith32
    Lillith32 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    It's not the big companies we need to change, it's the consumers. Companies will make what the consumers will buy. The more consumers demand real food the more real food will be produced. Maybe Mothers Opposed to Carbs need to start making food from scratch, and teach their kids that the stuff in colorful boxes is not food, but oversweetened poison. Granted, I dislike a lot of shady stuff that Kraft, Monsanto and their ilk pulls, and I am mad about the diabetes diet. However, the change needs to come from within, otherwise the big food companies are just going to get creative and add more icky stuff to their products.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I agree. What is in the stores is what customers pay good $$$ to pack home. Because high fructose corn sugar is hurting some soft drinks sale some makers are offering lines using regular forms of sugar. Others are removing some types of man made sweeteners,
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    tsazani wrote: »
    I've had DM2 for 11 years. I gave and followed the same *kitten* advice as a physician. I agree. The dietary advice given by my profession is CRIMINAL. I was a basically a *kitten* to the food, drug, and insurance industry until 2 months ago. Call me an ex-hooker.

My first patient today was a young man. He lost 45 lb since I saw him last. When he told me he'd done it on a ketogenic diet I jumped up and hugged him. I told him to stay on it and to NOT listen to anyone who tells him he's wrong.

I'm glad you're not a *kitten* anymore! ;)
    Seriously though, it's great to know that you will support your patients interested in LC
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I'm accountable for my choices, not some company that makes convenience foods. Sometimes I forget to read a label, but most of the time I'm pretty smart about the food I buy, and most of it doesn't have an ingredient list.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    tsazani wrote: »
    I've had DM2 for 11 years. I gave and followed the same *kitten* advice as a physician. I agree. The dietary advice given by my profession is CRIMINAL. I was a basically a *kitten* to the food, drug, and insurance industry until 2 months ago. Call me an ex-hooker.

My first patient today was a young man. He lost 45 lb since I saw him last. When he told me he'd done it on a ketogenic diet I jumped up and hugged him. I told him to stay on it and to NOT listen to anyone who tells him he's wrong.

I'm glad you're not a *kitten* anymore! ;)
    Seriously though, it's great to know that you will support your patients interested in LC

Amen to this...way to go DOC!!! :)