Getting a Costco membership

Options
robosphere
robosphere Posts: 66 Member
My Mother in Law is getting us a Costco membership for Christmas. We haven't been members since the girls were babies. I wasn't LC then. What goodies can I look forward to?

Replies

• SlimSonic
    SlimSonic Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    The fresh meat is fab, depending on the store the variety of seafood makes your mind boggle!

However I find the fruits & veges more expensive than my local supermarket. My niece loves the toys & girly dresses.

We go every 4-6 weeks and fill the freezer with bulk buy meat that I portion for ease of use.
  • robosphere
    Options
    I also remember some big ol' bags of almonds
  • daylitemag
    daylitemag Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I love the frozen cooked shrimp (31-40). They are high in protein and low cal. I eat 8 of them almost every day. I have them thawing in the fridge so that when I get home from work I can eat them straight away. It takes the edge of my hunger before dinne and that way it don't over eat. Also, eggs and butter are a good price.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    The nuts, the meat, the cheese, the frozen kale/spinach. So much.
    The paper supplies and laundry soaps.
    The only thing I don't like from costco is their fruit. It never seems to ripen.
  • NewSue52
    NewSue52 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I'm envious. I wish we had Costco. We have 2 Walmart heiresses in town so the likelihood is slim. Sam's Club is OK but Costco has more variety and is better in general
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I get giant tubs of coconut oil - way cheaper than other places.
  • kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Costco fuels my addiction to Babybel (gouda) cheese for an attractive price considering the larger size of package comparative to my local grocers. Coconut oil, macademia nuts, pecans, almonds, chia and flax seeds and beloved eggs and cheese in Costco-size are a plus too! I am usually happy with their selection(s) of vegetables - both fresh and frozen (organic spinach, broccolini, bags of avocados). I find their meat prices average, but my local grocer often beats them with sales. They also have a great selection of deli style sausages etc ... oh and BACON. Their selections of organic, non-gmo products are increasing all the time. I am constantly impressed with the ingredient labels/quality and prices of their kirkland products.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    The best price on HWC anywhere! Half a gallon for $4.50, the same of half and half for $2.99 I think. Lunch meat, salami. The only fruit that we buy there is apples, because they have the best price on the ambrosia ones. Pre-cut easily portionable butternut squash. All of their salad fixings are nice and fresh. Avocados are definitely a better buy at costco, if you can eat 6-8 over the 2-3 days they are the correct ripeness.

Olive oil, mayo, and meat are a maybe for us. Sometimes things are higher priced than the regular stores/theres too much in the package.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    HWC, sliced salami or just about any other meat you can imagine, nuts, pork rinds, olive oil, coconut oil, cheese, pre-packaged salads, etc.
  • tigeratty
    tigeratty Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Hannah hommos . Lox.
  • KimR_1986
    KimR_1986 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I know its not all locations but mine sells whole lambs and whole duck. I wish my costco had all the things people are naming, each location seems to vary.
  • Lillith32
    Lillith32 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I mostly hit it up for meat, cheese, fat (oils, butters, etc) and cleaning stuff/paper goods.
  • robosphere
    Options
    bluefish86, thanks! I just found that on Pinterest yesterday
  • azcowgirrlup
    azcowgirrlup Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I do like their meat, but I have a small local market that will sell me meat by the case sometimes. Ribeye steaks work out to $4.49 a pound that way. Just ask, that's how I started getting the deal on cases.
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,426 Member
    Options
    I go there weekly...jones frozen all natural sausage, frozen chicken breast, frozen sirloin burgers, frozen turkey burgers, fresh cooked turkey breast which we butcher and freeze, fresh pork roast which we also butcher into chops and freeze, eggs, my beloved Starbucks k-cups :), lettuce, cucumbers, celery, olive oil and so much more. Enjoy, it's a super fun shopping experience!
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    I go to Costco for their organic chicken, frozen seafood, nitrate-free bacon, nitrate-free Canadian bacon, and frozen organic beans and broccoli. They have a great deal on Daisy sour cream, bulk olives, coconut oil, avocado oil.

I also picked up a Vitamix for a great price, and a set of Cutco knives. A handy extension ladder for a couple hundred less than Home Depot, too. :smile:
  • danidanibobani
    danidanibobani Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Kirkland bacon is so good. I buy the shredded parmesan (sp?) cheese to make 'chips'. Frozen blueberries, heavy cream, avocado oil, walnuts, pecans, nitrate free salami, coffee. Dubliner cheese and butter. Olives, organic eggs. I just bought single serving guacamole, which is just okay. I love costco.