Cutting sugar from kids' diets improves health in just days

Options
lithezebra
lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
edited November 2015 in Social Groups
"...the strongest evidence to date that the negative effects of sugar are not because of calories or obesity." (And, as we know, it's true for adults too).

http://universityofcalifornia.edu/news/cutting-sugar-kids-diets-improves-health-just-days

Replies

• KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting! More of this is definitely needed to make people listen!! :smiley:
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    The interesting thing, as it pertains to this group, is that the study substituted carbohydrates for sugar - so there was no decrease in carbohydrates.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Still removed the processed junk that's been pushed on our children (us) as "good for you convenience foods". Feeding them real food is what matters.
  • lithezebra
    Options
    neohdiver wrote: »
    The interesting thing, as it pertains to this group, is that the study substituted carbohydrates for sugar - so there was no decrease in carbohydrates.

I found that interesting too, because I've often read that sugar and starch are pretty much the same in terms of their glycemic index and effect on blood sugar. The big picture seems to be more complicated.
  • lithezebra
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    Still removed the processed junk that's been pushed on our children (us) as "good for you convenience foods". Feeding them real food is what matters.

Better to have the same calories in a potato than in fruit juice.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the link. It is very shareable. :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    lithezebra wrote: »

I found that interesting too, because I've often read that sugar and starch are pretty much the same in terms of their glycemic index and effect on blood sugar. The big picture seems to be more complicated.

It is more complicated. But one thing seems to be clear: all evidence points to all the sources of sugar we're eating as part of the problem.

And you have to be so so diligent! I was eating in the office with a colleague. She had something that came with a packet of honey. Except it was called "honey sauce". The ingredients were High fructose corn syrup, corn syrup, sugar and honey. Honey was the fourth ingredient in a little packet of honey. I would bet that the sugar content of "honey sauce" is higher than that of honey. Just as the sugar content of "peanut butter spread" is higher than peanut butter...
    I even had to change hubs tortillas because though they are a well known brand, they now contain HFCS instead of lard or fat.
  • lithezebra
    edited November 2015
    Options

It is more complicated. But one thing seems to be clear: all evidence points to all the sources of sugar we're eating as part of the problem.

And you have to be so so diligent! I was eating in the office with a colleague. She had something that came with a packet of honey. Except it was called "honey sauce". The ingredients were High fructose corn syrup, corn syrup, sugar and honey. Honey was the fourth ingredient in a little packet of honey. I would bet that the sugar content of "honey sauce" is higher than that of honey. Just as the sugar content of "peanut butter spread" is higher than peanut butter...
    I even had to change hubs tortillas because though they are a well known brand, they now contain HFCS instead of lard or fat.

I hate those little labeling tricks! I bought "olive oil mayonnaise," and, like an idiot, forgot to read the label. It is, of course, mostly canola oil. Why would tortillas contain corn syrup?
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Last night I finally went to McDonald's for the first time in a long time. I got two biscuit and sausage (less the biscuit) and coffee. I said this is not real sausage and googled it sitting there. It contains three types of sugars but it was not enough to totally knock me out of ketosis.

I just started on Wobenzym this last Saturday and some claim it helps them lose weight but I am testing it to see if it will cut pain and cholesterol and that it is safe in high dosage for another cancer protocol. Not sure if it is the Wobenzym (taking 40 tablets a day currently) but this morning my unsweetened coconut flakes tasted like they were soaked in sugar water. Now I can not believe on average we in the USA are eating our weight in sugar annually.

If we had never started the kids on sugar they may have never missed it. I know I do not after being off it and grains for over a year now.

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

I hate those little labeling tricks! I bought "olive oil mayonnaise," and, like an idiot, forgot to read the label. It is, of course, mostly canola oil. Why would tortillas contain corn syrup?

OMG, try finding mayo without either canola/soy oil or sugar! I found one in the standard grocery store. A tiny little jar that uses sunflower seed oil and is something like $8 for a little 6 or 8oz jar. Whole Foods doesn't have any without at least canola oil, but at least they have one or two without sugar.

I'd love to see Mark Sisson's mayo take off. It's made with avocado oil and to my knowledge doesn't have sugar in it.

And those labeling tricks annoy me, too. They make me feel like they used about a tablespoon of olive oil, just so they can call it "olive oil" mayo.
  • esaucier17
    esaucier17 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »

OMG, try finding mayo without either canola/soy oil or sugar! I found one in the standard grocery store. A tiny little jar that uses sunflower seed oil and is something like $8 for a little 6 or 8oz jar. Whole Foods doesn't have any without at least canola oil, but at least they have one or two without sugar.

I'd love to see Mark Sisson's mayo take off. It's made with avocado oil and to my knowledge doesn't have sugar in it.

And those labeling tricks annoy me, too. They make me feel like they used about a tablespoon of olive oil, just so they can call it "olive oil" mayo.

It's a pain in the booty but I've made homemade olive oil mayo.....only eggs, olive oil, salt and dry mustard. No other crap! You can Google a ton of recipes on exactly how to do it.
  • esaucier17
    Options
    "...the strongest evidence to date that the negative effects of sugar are not because of calories or obesity." (And, as we know, it's true for adults too).

http://universityofcalifornia.edu/news/cutting-sugar-kids-diets-improves-health-just-days

Thanks for sharing. I posted the link on my Facebook as I argue how bad sugar is quite often with people I know!
  • lithezebra
    Options
    esaucier17 wrote: »

It's a pain in the booty but I've made homemade olive oil mayo.....only eggs, olive oil, salt and dry mustard. No other crap! You can Google a ton of recipes on exactly how to do it.

Yum! I tried making it a few days ago, and failed miserably, but I will give it another go. I was trying to do too much cooking at once and I didn't know you could over beat mayonnaise until it separates.
  • lithezebra
    Options

Avocado oil mayo sounds amazingly delicious.
  • Lillith32
    Lillith32 Posts: 483 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

I found a recipe that literally takes 5 minutes in the food processor, you just need super-fresh eggs for it. Egg yolk, lemon juice, organic dijon mustard, salt, and olive oil.
    http://www.dishingthedivine.com/2012/05/18/homemade-mayonnaise/
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    This reminds me of something from when I was a child. Some 35 years ago. I used to get dark circles under my eyes and horrible nasty behaviour, what I suppose these days would now be diagnosed as ADHD and treated with kiddie meth. My family doctor back then (little country town), told my mum to take me off all sugar. No lollies, no soft drink, no icecream etc. The change was immediate, I was calm and normal within days. I remember feeling a bit put out about it, but I'm sure my mum is grateful to the doctor for figuring it out.
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Lillith32 wrote: »

I found a recipe that literally takes 5 minutes in the food processor, you just need super-fresh eggs for it. Egg yolk, lemon juice, organic dijon mustard, salt, and olive oil.
    http://www.dishingthedivine.com/2012/05/18/homemade-mayonnaise/

5 mins? you can make 30 second mayo with a stick blender. I do it all the time :)
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options

Yum! I tried making it a few days ago, and failed miserably, but I will give it another go. I was trying to do too much cooking at once and I didn't know you could over beat mayonnaise until it separates.

This is the best and easiest recipe I've found:

http://thehealthyfoodie.com/fail-proof-home-made-paleo-mayo-whole30-compliant/

I use it with my whisk attachment to my normal hand mixer as my stick blender died years back. Super simple. And instructions for how to turn it into dressing if it doesn't sit up (usually has to do with egg quality.).
  • esaucier17
    Options
    This reminds me of something from when I was a child. Some 35 years ago. I used to get dark circles under my eyes and horrible nasty behaviour, what I suppose these days would now be diagnosed as ADHD and treated with kiddie meth. My family doctor back then (little country town), told my mum to take me off all sugar. No lollies, no soft drink, no icecream etc. The change was immediate, I was calm and normal within days. I remember feeling a bit put out about it, but I'm sure my mum is grateful to the doctor for figuring it out.

I am working on this. Weaning my son off sugar. I don't buy soda, candy, quitting buying cookies, toaster strudels, and popsicles, ice cream, cakes, yogurt with added sugar and juices with added sugar. Only sugar will be from fruits...for my son, not me yet as I have just started LC and don't want to add them yet. I will have a hard time with pancakes and waffles with syrup....he loves them for breakfast. My best friend did this when her son was younger and we saw a HUGE difference in his behavior. It was amazing. I have to have a talk with my hubby though because he is a suagarholic and always has crap in the house. I can't tell my son he can't have it but his step-dad can. Not really something a 9 year old would think was fair.
  • kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    Options

I am working on this. Weaning my son off sugar. I don't buy soda, candy, quitting buying cookies, toaster strudels, and popsicles, ice cream, cakes, yogurt with added sugar and juices with added sugar. Only sugar will be from fruits...for my son, not me yet as I have just started LC and don't want to add them yet. I will have a hard time with pancakes and waffles with syrup....he loves them for breakfast. My best friend did this when her son was younger and we saw a HUGE difference in his behavior. It was amazing. I have to have a talk with my hubby though because he is a suagarholic and always has crap in the house. I can't tell my son he can't have it but his step-dad can. Not really something a 9 year old would think was fair.

9 is close to the age my daughter was when we started working towards transitioning to "real" food. It wasn't about not being allowed sugar, but avoiding chemically-processed, unpronounceable ingredients. I made her an active part in perimeter shopping the grocery store. She still got a "treat" in her lunch, but it was something we made out of wholesome ingredients etc. Officially she has never been formally restricted, but over time continues making these choices. Two additional things at play though.... one, after eating real foods, she doesn't feel good if she over does it on processed stuff, candy included and two, she is very conscious of body image (part being a girly girl and part having an older step sister with bird-like bone structure - at 6 my daughter was so upset because her wrists were bigger than so&so's ankles... it became a regular discussion and I'm pleased to report that although the battle is still occasionally waged, I'm quite positive the overall war has been won).

A big hit in our house with pancakes or waffles - a big bowl of whip cream and fresh fruit.