Intro and question about getting "fat-adapted"

Options
macchiatto
macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
Hi everyone. I'm new to this group but not to low-carb. I've had some success in the past with low carb diets. This is review for a few of you but I am a 39 y/o mom of twin boys, have PCOS (probably IR), had prediabetes in the past that I reversed on a low-carb diet, and also have MS for good measure. ;) I gained 20 lbs over the last school year due largely to med changes, have been struggling to lose the weight and am now trying LCHF/keto, trying to see what will work for me. Currently at 10% C, 60% F, 30% P.

Anyhow, I'm really glad to have found this group and am learning a lot from the threads. I've come across the term "fat-adapted" and am wondering how long does it usually take to get to that point, and how do you know when you are?

I've only been on this diet for 3 days (before that I was doing about 30/40/30) but I'm training for a Thanksgiving 5K and struggling with stamina. I'm eager to finally make some weight loss progress but would also love to do decently at the race. (I plan to focus more on HIIT and strength training after that.) I read the thread about fueling for long bike rides and while I'm only running for 30-50 mins at a time during training, I'm wondering if more carbs before runs would help over the next few weeks.

Replies

• glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    In my humble opinion, if you want to become fat adapted, carb loading is only going to confuse your system.

If you want to become fat adapted faster, cut the carbs out completely. If you work on your 5K, just know you'll be a bit sluggish until that magical transition comes, so just focus on keeping up with your electrolytes and don't push for speed.
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    It took me a couple of months after going keto to be "back to normal" in terms of running. During the transition, I was sluggish, struggled through runs, and sometimes got sick afterward, probably due to low sodium.

After that two months or so, my running capability far surpassed my previous normal--I went from around 5 miles per run up to 14 miles in less than two months, and increased my speed to boot.

The fat adaptation is definitely worth it if you can just stick it out during the transition.

By the way, I do not fuel or carb up for workouts. I run first thing in the morning, completely fasted...

YMMV, of course.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    macchiatto wrote: »
    I've come across the term "fat-adapted" and am wondering how long does it usually take to get to that point, and how do you know when you are?

My favorite topic! :)

It's mostly a marketing term. It ranks up there with "fat burning machine."

There are several physiological adaptations that happen over time when you restrict carbs, but your ability to burn fat for fuel is already present.

Within 2 days of carb restriction, you will be getting about 90% of your energy from fat.

After about 3-4 weeks, that can increase to about 93% (and you will lose a bit less protein).

So it's not a detectable change ... for the sedentary!

HOWEVER, if you exercise, you will notice a pretty amazing change. The stress of carb restriction during exercise will increase mitochondrial density in your muscles, and you will be much less dependent on anaerobic metabolism of glucose at higher exertion levels.

It takes the same 3-4 weeks. Sometimes less, sometimes more, depending on intensity of exercise.

How will you know? No more bonking. Much less heavy panting and "catching your breath." And if you were able to measure your CO2 output, you would find that you're contributing less to global warming. :)
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the replies! :)
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    So far, my limited experience with low carb has been that I have more energy for my workouts. That thing I thought was over training, where my legs just won't pedal as fast after a few days of consecutive bike riding, might have merely been running low on glycogen. That problem has gone away now. But you know your own body. If you need carbs for your endurance exercise, do what you need to do.