Exercise and Ketosis

Options
tsazani
tsazani Posts: 830 Member
I understand that a ketogenic diet means less than 50g of carbs per day. When I don't exercise I consume 68 g. So I'm LCHF but not ketogenic. But what about if I consume 80 g of carbs and (net) burn 38 g of carbs thru exercise?

For the last month my urine is light, waxy, with the distinctive ketone odor. Can I say it's because 80 - 38 = 42 g is the explanation?

Replies

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Exercise is very ketogenic, and yes, the 50g prescription assumes that you're sedentary.

Are you familiar with Peter Attia. He's an MD who likes to experiment on himself. He spent two days in a metabolic chamber and monitored his glucose and ketone levels around the clock. Pretty fascinating stuff.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10218131/ultimate-exercise-geekery-keto-adaptation

a42kbhb5jyg3.jpg

He also calculates his glycogen depletion rate from exercise:
    http://eatingacademy.com/sports-and-nutrition/ketones-carbohydrates-can-co-exist
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be at all surprised if you're in some degree of ketosis. I get positive results with ketostix on 100 grams of carbs a day, and I'm a small woman. Exercise must help, since it's a great way to use up whatever carbs you eat.

You can get a glucose meter that will measure blood ketones too, with the right strips, if you want to experiment with the effect that exercise has on your ketone concentrations.
  • wabmester
    Options
    Zebra, you might like this study from Volek. It's the only dose-response study of carb intake I know of.

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0113605

Ostensibly, he was looking at the effects on saturated fat in the blood, but there are also some gold nuggets in there on weight loss, insulin levels, and ketone levels as a function of carb restriction.
  • nicintime
    nicintime Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    tsazani wrote: »
    If my urine remains clear and waxy, with "the smell" why would I need to use ketosticks?

You don't.

Just watch out for carb creep.
  • lithezebra
    edited November 2015
    Options
    tsazani wrote: »
    Wow. Thank you all. You all solved a big dilemma. As part of my Pritikin baggage, I want to keep my fiber consumption high; greater than 30 g. Eating half a cup of beans and an avocado or two easily gets me there. But there is no way I can get to less than 50 g of carbs. So with my normal exercise I'm officially ketotic. Nice. I'm liking this WOE more and more.

I'm not hungry at all and the weight is melting off effortlessly. Best of all, excellent BG readings. It's just amazing.

If my urine remains clear and waxy, with "the smell" why would I need to use ketosticks?

One would need to use the blood test strips, not Ketostix, in order to tell the difference between excreting measurable (or smellable) ketones, and relying primarily on fatty acid metabolism to meet your energy needs, which may or may not be important to you, depending on your reasons for wanting to be in ketosis.
  • wabmester
    Options
    Urine ketones track blood ketones pretty well, especially after the first couple weeks. I forget the percentage, but you'll excrete something like 10% of your blood ketone level.
  • lithezebra
    Options
    I'm trying to get seriously into ketosis at some point, to see if it has beneficial effects on pain and inflammation, for me, because, if it does not, I'm definitely going back up to 70-100 grams of carbs a day.

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    lithezebra wrote: »
    I'm trying to get seriously into ketosis at some point, to see if it has beneficial effects on pain and inflammation, for me, because, if it does not, I'm definitely going back up to 70-100 grams of carbs a day.

@lithezebra when I cut out all grains and most all sugars over a year ago my pain level dropped from 7-8 to 2-3 in the first 30 days. I was in ketosis by blood and breath meters but not sure that the ketones were a factor or just reduced inflammation from I expect a major leaky gut that seemed to have resolved in about 6 months being off grains and sugars.
  • lithezebra
    Options

@lithezebra when I cut out all grains and most all sugars over a year ago my pain level dropped from 7-8 to 2-3 in the first 30 days. I was in ketosis by blood and breath meters but not sure that the ketones were a factor or just reduced inflammation from I expect a major leaky gut that seemed to have resolved in about 6 months being off grains and sugars.

So far, the indications are good: neck pain gone, and my finger joints are more mobile. I've been in mild ketosis for a while, but only below 50g of carbs for about a week.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options

For me, once I started this WOE, it eliminated the constant daily headaches (low/high blood sugar related), completely managed the neuropathy in my feet and eliminated that horrible pain, my knees hurt much less though I know this partly due to the fact that I've eliminated so much weight, and the pain I experience from carpal tunnel has gone from a 7-8 on a daily basis (before Keto) to anywhere from a 0.5 - 2 on a daily basis. Overall VASTLY improved in the pain / inflammation department!
  • lithezebra
    Options
    ladipoet wrote: »

For me, once I started this WOE, it eliminated the constant daily headaches (low/high blood sugar related), completely managed the neuropathy in my feet and eliminated that horrible pain, my knees hurt much less though I know this partly due to the fact that I've eliminated so much weight, and the pain I experience from carpal tunnel has gone from a 7-8 on a daily basis (before Keto) to anywhere from a 0.5 - 2 on a daily basis. Overall VASTLY improved in the pain / inflammation department!

Awesome! That's encouraging to hear! I've read that ketogenic diets are specifically helpful for neuropathy. It's also good to know that it worked for your carpal tunnel syndrome, because that has been a part of my problem.