C Reactive Protein is high (4.04)

Options
carlsoda
carlsoda Posts: 3,412 Member
Just got a call from the dr's office about my crp test since it's in the high zone. I don't have my other numbers yet but was told my cholesterol is normal as well as my blood sugar. Their advice: keep weight normal (almost there), keep blood pressure low and watch for any future type 2 diabetes. I think I don't need to worry about type 2 diabetes with this lifestyle :) I did some quick research online and it appears that a low carb diet is the best thing to keep the inflammation low. Has anyone else gone through this? Do I have anything to worry about? Next time I go into the dr, I want a low CRP #! (Strokes do run in my mom's side of the family so I'm a tad worried!)

Replies

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I just had mine tested for the first time, but I haven't received the results yet.

As for most things, it depends on context. 4 is high for some people, but low for people with arthritis, for example.

Low-carb will help with IR as an inflammatory factor. The jury's still out on whether it helps with other sources of inflammation. Maybe for some auto-immune diseases triggered by certain types of carby-foods, for example.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Some sellers of enzymes claim they can lower CRP numbers. Fixing a leaking gut may be the best way to lower CRP number to <1 I also read. Yes there may be several causes going on at the same time. Low carb was a good move in my case even without any testing.
  • carlsoda
    Options
    I did some reading and I wonder if my allergies are to blame? That's about the only health issue that I am dealing with. I am going to an allergist early December to get it more under control.
  • SarahKat81
    SarahKat81 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Mine was extremely high and I had to go on prednisone for awhile (this was due to an autoimmune issue) I have been on the low carb diet and off of steroids for 3 weeks and I am having none of the issues I had before. Good luck! Sometimes the tests leave you with more questions than answers!!
  • SarahKat81
    SarahKat81 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Oh and mine was at a 9! I had to beg them to let me go back to work that day!! I really think this WOE helps inflammation.
  • fastforlife1
    fastforlife1 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I would strongly encourage you all with high c reactive protein to take curcumin supplements. Curcumin is the active ingredient in turmeric which is the best anti inflammatory cancer/arthritis/autoimmune disease fighting herb. You can buy curcumin supplements at health food stores. I make my own capsules from organic turmeric and black pepper (it's cheaper). I also drink turmeric and almond milk tea. yummy and low carb
  • GaleHawkins
    edited November 2015
    Options
    @fastforlife1 I agree with you about curumin supplements the more I read about cancer, arthritis, autoimmune diseases. Now we understand heart disease is mainly caused by long term inflammation.
  • fangirlish
    fangirlish Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Wow, when I read these posts, with @carlsoda worried about a high 4 crp, and @sarahkat81 with a 9 and the docs didn't want to let her return to work, I get really scared. My hs-crp result was 27 and my doctor just kind of shrugged and said, we'll test again in 6 months and see if it's going down. Sheesh. Maybe I need to book a room at the local hospital, because it looks like I'm going to need one? I have no infections or allergies that I know of and now my imagination is skipping ahead to cancer and imminent heart attack.

I already take vitamin C, D3, K2 and magnesium supplements. Never heard of curumin supplements, but I think that will be my next google search.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    @fangirlish while you are Googling search on Wobenzym also. For min dosage it will cost about $30 a month. I read some good things about it dropping CRP numbers very well. I have only been on it for one week to see if it lowers pain and one needs to give it at least a month to work. It has been proven to help with blood flow in 7 days however. If a leaky gut is one of the causes of a high CRP reading then that may take some time.

From the literature any score >1 is driving heart disease risks. The only no cost fast way that I know to lower CRP numbers is to just go off grains and sugars because it worked in my case. I did not have the CRP test but in 30 days my pain dropped from 7-8 levels to 2-3 and my 40 years of IBS was cured.
  • fangirlish
    fangirlish Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    @GaleHawkins, thanks for the Wobenzym suggestion, I will look that up too. I wasn't familiar with leaky gut, so that's kind of an eyeopener. I've been eating keto for several years now, but do have a huge stress load from work, so perhaps that is the real culprit. I don't suffer from IBS, allergies, arthritis, etc. - just diabetes. All this stuff is so interesting, although I suspect it would be far more interesting and less worrisome if it weren't so personal. ;)
  • GaleHawkins
    edited November 2015
    Options
    @fangirlish it seems MD's are not taught about it in med school.
    webmd.com/digestive-disorders/features/leaky-gut-syndrome

draxe.com/4-steps-to-heal-leaky-gut-and-autoimmune-disease/

Not everyone has a leaky gut so hopefully you do not. I know I did and never want that again. I expect it was the grains that did me in because within 6 months after I ditched them my IBS was cured and my pain dropped within the first 30 days.

articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/01/21/grains-causing-gut-leaks.aspx

• carlsoda
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I grabbed some turmeric supplement (with black pepper) yesterday and started right away. Read the reviews and looks promising at least for people with autoimmune problems. At least no side effects taking it :) obviously this must be a popular supplement as there were lots to choose from! Thank you so much for the advise...at least I feel like I am doing something to reduce the inflammation!
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    I just had mine tested for the first time, but I haven't received the results yet.

Just got my results: 0.1

I have nothing to compare it to, but I take it as a sign that low-carb is working for me. :)
  • carlsoda
    Options
    Mine was low a few years ago so not sure what happened, but I think the turmeric is working. I am not so sore all the time! For now, I will just forget about it until next year and make sure I get the high sensitivity crp test.
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options

Just got my results: 0.1

I have nothing to compare it to, but I take it as a sign that low-carb is working for me. :)

that's a great result