Ravenously hungry

Options
lithezebra
lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
Has anyone been ravenously hungry early on in a ketogenic diet? I swear I have been eating my fat, and it's there in my diary. This is the second day that I've eaten most of my calories early in the day, and my tummy has been growling anyway.

Please tell me that this will pass.

Replies

• ndvoice
    ndvoice Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    lithezebra wrote: »
    Has anyone been ravenously hungry early on in a ketogenic diet? I swear I have been eating my fat, and it's there in my diary. This is the second day that I've eaten most of my calories early in the day, and my tummy has been growling anyway.

Please tell me that this will pass.

Just sent you a friend invite so I can peek at your journal and offer help.

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I get like that with too many carbs or sweet flavors.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    The only thing that makes me ravenously hungry these days is fasting. I sometimes try to push it, and by the end of the fast, I'll eat anything -- even foods I hate. :)
  • ndvoice
    ndvoice Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Ok, the only thing I can suggest is to spread out the dense foods a bit. That's what kept me satisfied in the beginning. I ate every 2-3 hours, but never felt "full". I just felt "not hungry" after I ate. I had to remind myself that it was ok to not feel stuffed because I was going to eat again in 2 hours lol. As I adjusted, I found that I just wasn't as hungry any more. It looks like your eating the right foods, it just may be a need to spread them out more until your hunger lessons.
    Example of how I ate:

Breakfast
    Coffee / cream
    Eggs w veggies

Snack
    Apple w/ nut butter

Lunch
    Chicken or other protein
    Low carb veggie (or salad)

Snack
    Nuts

Dinner
    Chicken or other protein
    Low carb veggies & salad

Snack
    Advocado, Chicken broth
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Try limiting the fruit and chocolate for a day and see if they are hunger triggers for you... replace with fat. I get cravings from the little bit of fruit I eat :(
  • ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    I can't any sugars besides the few in veggies (less than 10 a day) or I get hungry
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Maybe count "gross" carbs rather than net ie lower your carb intake further. Some people find they only get the hunger reducing benefits of low carb at really low carb levels.
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    camtosh wrote: »
    Try limiting the fruit and chocolate for a day and see if they are hunger triggers for you... replace with fat. I get cravings from the little bit of fruit I eat :(

This.

And maybe try tweaking your macros a little bit. You look like you might be a little high in carbs and a little low in protein...
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I agree, I see about 60g carbs/day, maybe replace 30g of those by protein and secondarily, fats.
  • lrosemoore1
    lrosemoore1 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I like snacking on celery and guacamole or cream cheese, or spinach artichoke dip...that and a huge breakfast keeps me full. Any sugar or sweetners make me ravenous, wean off of those!
  • lithezebra
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Thank you, everyone, for the great suggestions! It seems to be better today, for no reason at all. Maybe it was the long bike ride that I forgot to log.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    How early are you in the diet? It's not uncommon for the first week or two to be insatiable. It passes, and it's a common part of adjusting. If you're hungry, eat. Just make sure it's protein and fat. The body will generally balance itself out after a week or two. And yes, it uses this extra fuel to recover from anything the prior diet did, and to switch to the fat burning "machinery" as the primary.
  • lithezebra
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    How early are you in the diet? It's not uncommon for the first week or two to be insatiable. It passes, and it's a common part of adjusting. If you're hungry, eat. Just make sure it's protein and fat. The body will generally balance itself out after a week or two. And yes, it uses this extra fuel to recover from anything the prior diet did, and to switch to the fat burning "machinery" as the primary.

That might be it, because it's the first week or so, and it isn't a problem today.