Diabetes Nutrition Education Class

Options
KarlaYP
KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
A friend at my home last evening had attended her first nutrition class for her new diagnosis of type 2 yesterday. She said they used a formula of some sort to figure the amount of carbs she should eat each day giving her a total of 120 gm (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)!!!!!! OMG! Told her to drop everything processed, and showed them how to find the carbs on a label!!!! They aren't pushing higher fat yet but we're told to use butter and coconut oil!!! This is the nutritional education being taught through our local hospital system here in very small town, Mississippi (U.S.) now, apparently, and I find it awesome!!!!

These tides are changing if they are changing here!!

Another friend here began this woe two weeks ago, after our last meeting, and has lost ten pounds, feels amazing, has already used the salt recommendation to fight the flu, and is loving it! Two other ladies in the group (twins, with type 2) became encouraged by our conversations and are wanting in!!! I'm so happy to be part of actually helping people with this woe!!

One of them mentioned to the group about how much YOUNGER I look!! That makes a woman feel good about her choices!

Btw: I fed them LCHF style! Boneless pork chops cut into bite size pieces, cooked in sauteed in butter, purple onion and mushrooms, with roasted cauliflower, and a lc chocolate mousse (adapted from the caveman keto recipe). They all loved it, as I expected they would! One of the twins said, "Now, I can eat that!". What do folks think we eat? Anyway, I had the floor with the meal at my home and showed them how good it can be!! Fun, fun!!

Replies

• Animewatcher2015
    Options
    me and my husband ( who was newly diagnosed also) will be going soon to one of these classes. I hope to lean a lot
  • V_Keto_V
    V_Keto_V Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    That's more stringent & specific than ADA guideline recommendations
    Of course, you can't generalize guidelines to everyone...they are just a base to start from based on the norm
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    Hi @Animewatcher2015 , good luck with learning about, and finding the balance that works for you and your husband!

@V_Keto_V , I The ADA guidelines aren't working! That's why they've had to make them more stringent, imo! I would be the last person to make this generalized for everyone. But the ADA has been doing just that for years!!! I feel 120 gm a day is a magnificent start to lc!
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    I hope we are finally turning a corner. I did a dorky-mom-dance when my mom got a new doctor. For the first time in 17 years a doctor finally told my diabetic doctor she needed to watch her carbs! She is taking less meds and less insulin. And if she'd adhere better, she'd get off of it entirely. Drs can't do anything about that.
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    No, can't do anything about patient compliance with any doctors orders. It always comes down to choice. But, when people hear it more they will begin to believe. Then compliance will improve!