Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Not losing but ketostix are moderate

Fin1965
Fin1965 Posts: 19 Member
Hello, I've been Lchf for about a month. I'd only like to lose about eight pounds which isn't that much, but more importantly would like to reap the health benefits of this woe. I've just set my diary to public in the hope that some one may look to see if I'm on the right track. I am feeling puzzled that I seem to be in moderate ketosis according to the strips, but I haven't lost ANY weight at all and my clothes feel about the same. I'm willing to tweak my diet or make the necessary changes but I'm just not sure what to tweak. I'm counting calories too, trying to stay at 1400 or there abouts and I feel my fat intake is good but a. I feel hungry still and b. the weight isn't budging. I'd be very grateful for any help and if you need more info to make a judgement, I'll gladly reply. Thank you.

Replies

• ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    It looks to me like you're on the right track. Since you're so close to your goal, I'm not surprised that you aren't really losing. For reference, I'm 5'4", started out at 163lbs, and have lost only 11lbs since July. It's a slow go when you're not really overweight.

A few questions you might consider: Are you getting enough water? Are you accurately measuring your food (preferably by weight)? I'd definitely consider upping your sodium if the numbers in your diary are correct--that's super low for a low carber.

Hopefully others will chime in with other ideas for you.
  • Fin1965
    Fin1965 Posts: 19 Member
    Hi, thank you for your response, I must say I do need to up my water and will take that on board. In terms of salt, it is low isn't it, I'm always fearful to up my salt because I think, well I'm not losing any weight including water weight and don't feel keto flu ey! but I will endeavour to try. Do you think it best I just carry on with how I'm going and give it more time to hope for the wonderful weight whoosh some people experience? Thank you
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    I can't access your profile. Are you in some far off land?

In terms of weight loss, ketostix won't be very useful. Your hunger signal is a much better indicator.

Protein is universally satiating. Fat not so much. Carbs can be crave inducers.

So your ketostix tell you that you're doing great at restricting carbs. Your insulin is low. Body fat is readily accessible IF NEEDED.

Try to figure out your hunger. Is it from cravings or could you eat a horse? :)

Experiment with more protein, less fat. Experiment with fasting. Experiment.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Welcome to MFP forums.

@janemccurdy I did not drop the first pound my first six weeks of being in ketosis but I did lose an inch belt wise and some face fat.

Stay the course. Best of success at eating for better health long term.