Not sure how I feel about this - Fat People Get Less Dementia

Options
klkarlen
klkarlen Posts: 4,366 Member
Fat People Get Less Dementia:

Very obese people (BMI greater than 40 kg/m2) are 29% less likely to get dementia than people in the normal weight range. The unexpected results are according to new research published in The Lancet Diabetes & Endocrinology journal.

http://www.alzheimersweekly.com/2015/04/fat-people-get-less-dementia.html

Replies

• BRaye325
    BRaye325 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    Perhaps it's because they don't live long enough to get there!
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 12,922 Member
    Options
    BRaye325 wrote: »
    Perhaps it's because they don't live long enough to get there!

I thought it but didn't say it...

I've developed a certain amount of cynicism about medical studies. Too often, the announced results make for great headlines but the content is lacking clarity to say the least.
  • Mccmack
    Mccmack Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I did t read the article, so I'm not cynical, but I'm better off.
  • Mccmack
    Options
    I guess making a statement about an article I did not read is cynical. My bad.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    It's an odd study. I too feel that we need more context.
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    My neurologist advised me that too often news articles about studies must be taken with a grain of salt. They usually pick out the most exciting or attention grabbing result and often leave out salient details like number of participants, length of study and other facts that put the results into greater context. Very often these studies are done on too small a sample group to be definitive.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    The movie Still Alice is about a rare form of early onset dementia. I watched this movie with my wife, I found it quite depressing. In writing this post I tried and failed to recall the name of the actress that won an Oscar for her performance in Still Alice. Thank goodness for Google, her name is Julianne Moore.

In light of the article linked above and my failed memory, I'm wondering if I should have an extra large piece of cake after dinner tonight. You know, in the interests of self preservation.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Definitely Food for Thought !
  • klkarlen
    Options
    Excerpt from the article:
    "“The reasons why a high BMI might be associated with a reduced risk of dementia aren’t clear, and further work is needed to understand why this might be the case,” adds Dr Nawab Qizilbash from OXON Epidemiology in London, UK and Madrid, Spain, the study’s lead author. “If increased weight in mid-life is protective against dementia, the reasons for this inverse association are unclear at present. Many different issues related to diet, exercise, frailty, genetic factors, and weight change could play a part."
  • Farback
    Farback Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    They can't afford to forget where the fridge is.
  • Mccmack
    Options
    klkarlen wrote: »
    "“The reasons why a high BMI might be associated with a reduced risk of dementia aren’t clear, and further work is needed to understand why this might be the case,” adds Dr Nawab Qizilbash from OXON Epidemiology in London, UK and Madrid, Spain, the study’s lead author. “If increased weight in mid-life is protective against dementia, the reasons for this inverse association are unclear at present. Many different issues related to diet, exercise, frailty, genetic factors, and weight change could play a part."
    One of the great things about people who do statistical analysis is that they can do something they love and accomplish nothing and get paid for it. When doctors comment that only makes it better. This study answers a question I would never think to ask. All along I thought losing weight and getting fit was a good idea, but I guess I am a dementia case waiting to happen. I like this post and having read the op's bio, I don't think she is losing any sleep over this article.
  • klkarlen
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Mccmack wrote: »
    One of the great things about people who do statistical analysis is that they can do something they love and accomplish nothing and get paid for it. When doctors comment that only makes it better. This study answers a question I would never think to ask. All along I thought losing weight and getting fit was a good idea, but I guess I am a dementia case waiting to happen. I like this post and having read the op's bio, I don't think she is losing any sleep over this article.

Excellent points, and no, not losing sleep over the article - but I was mainly interested because my 80 year old mother lives with me, and has dementia, and is very underweight. I keep reading articles on the topic, in hopes of finding the cause in her case, and see if I can possibly dodge the bullet in 20 years.
  • Mccmack
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your mother. My mom died of cancer just over a year ago. There are several people who live near my mom who have died of cancer too. Would love to know why so many people are getting cancer. I think some kind of poison is getting into people through the air they breath, the things they eat, or the environment they live in. If someone tells me a big juicy steak is unhealthy for me, I won't listen, but if I hear that there are carcinogens in that steak, now you got my attention.
  • klkarlen
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your mom also. Folks in our demographic seem to be in the "sandwich" generation, caring for elderly parents with either physical or mental problems, as well as trying to raise children. And often it takes a toll on our own health.
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    You are so right. My dad had dementia, (skinny dude), my sister(67) was diagnosed at 63, (my age). She was the skinny sister, I was the fat one. So while I hope this might be true, I can't depend on it. My dad had heart disease too, so genetics will win out. My mom recently died at 89, no dementia, not fat, but not scrawny. Hopefully, I take after Mom.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Good discussion, everyone !!!!!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Mccmack wrote: »

Excellent points, and no, not losing sleep over the article - but I was mainly interested because my 80 year old mother lives with me, and has dementia, and is very underweight. I keep reading articles on the topic, in hopes of finding the cause in her case, and see if I can possibly dodge the bullet in 20 years.

The Framingham Heart Study (and others) are finding that Inflammation and Insulin Resistance might play a role:
    http://archneur.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=1149700&maxtoshow=&hits=10&RESULTFORMAT=&fulltext= Himbergen&searchid=1&FIRSTINDEX=0&resourcetype=HWCIT