good freezer recipe for squashes?

Options
phxteach
phxteach Posts: 309 Member
Major !!! surplus of yellow squash and zucchini, both low carb. I know freezing changes some texture, which is ok, but I'm looking for someone who has successfully frozen small batches of meals/entrees, not simply the zucchini/yellow squash by itself. Most google recipes don't address low carb or freezing, so hoping someone here has an answer :)

Replies

• phxteach
    Options
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I like to make chili with a lot of Zucchini. I also make cream of zucchini soup, curry, meatballs and nuggets with half zucchini shredded into them. They all are super freezer friendly. Even freezer burritos.
  • phxteach
    Options
    @Queenmunchy - love your name. Do you have a recipe for any of those? Meatballs sound interesting. Freezer burritos - really would need a recipe there since I don't have any of the super expensive low carb tortillas (wish!). Wouldn't the zucchini get pretty soggy? or is it just a small amount? I'd love to come to your kitchen and peak over your shoulder.
  • Couchpotato39
    Couchpotato39 Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I made zucchini lasagna and freeze it in individual portions. That appears to freeze well. I also put zucchini in my beef stew (freezes well). I like to make noodles and have eaten them with a large variety of things (spaghetti sauce, sausage and cheese, even made a carbonara). Haven't frozen noodles by themselves but have with other things and they seem to hold up.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    I like to make up batches of keto ratatouille spiced with a little bit of sriracha sauce otherwise the dish is just too bland for me. I always freeze the servings and then pull them out later to defrost and eat. FWIW, I've not seen much discernible different in texture once I reheat the serving and mix everything together well.
  • Queenmunchy
    Options
    @phxteach - thank you and I'm sorry I overlooked this! I absolutely hate wasting food, so I find ways to use things that are going bad and put them in my freezer all the time.

I do use the low carb/high fiber tortillas for my family (I buy a pack of 8 for about $4), but I don't usually eat them. They don't get soggy at all if you flash freeze them. Lay seam side down on cookie sheet, and freeze. Once frozen, transfer to labeled freezer bag. To serve, microwave wrapped in damp paper towel for 2-3 minutes until thawed or microwave until thawed and crisp in a pan or under the broiler.

For the chili, just small dice your squash and add it in, and freeze in portions. We don't eat beans, so that's our replacement.

Cream of Zucchini Soup and it's super easy and freezes well in portions.

For the two below you can swap out any summer squash/zucchini. The bread crumb can be cheese, almond meal, pork rinds, etc - whatever you use as a crispy coating.

Chicken/yellow squash nuggets:
    Shred 1-2 squash and squeeze out as much liquid as possible. Mix with 1lb ground chicken, 1 egg, seasoning, form into “nuggets” and bread with your choice of bread crumb. Bake at 425 for 15 minutes on a lightly greased cooling rack on a cookie sheet. Cool and freeze on a cookie sheet. Once frozen, transfer to a labeled freezer bag. To serve, microwave until thawed or bake for a crisp exterior.

Turkey/zucchini meatballs:
    Shred 1-2 zucchini and squeeze most of the liquid out. Mix with 1lb ground turkey, 1 egg, seasoning, parmesan cheese, and choice of bread crumb. Bake at 425 for 15 minutes. Cool and freeze on a cookie sheet. Once frozen, transfer to a labeled freezer bag. To serve, microwave until thawed or simmer in sauce

We also shred zucchini and add it to our burgers. So shred your zucchini, squeeze out some liquid, form it into burger patties, then freeze your patties.
  • phxteach
    Options
    Queenmunchy, awesome specific directions that I will try tomorrow. Thanks so much to all of you for your suggestions!!!!!
  • Queenmunchy
    Options
    Anytime! :)