Need recipes (that taste good!)

Options
I'm having trouble finding paleo/primal recipes that taste good. I've tried baking muffins, cookies, etc. they always seem too oily because they call for so much coconut oil. Has anyone had success with any particular recipes?

Replies

• bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Are you looking specifically for dessert recipes?

I've used this recipe before to make mini-cakes for tea.... http://comfybelly.com/2009/04/fluffy-cupcakes/#.Vj8eurfhDIU It's good with homemade raspberry coulis or paleo banana ice-cream (which is basically just frozen bananas, blitzed until creamy).

I do understand the desire to find dessert alternatives (I use the recipe above for when we have guests and I want to make a sweet we can all enjoy) but I also agree with @newmeadow... if you're looking to commit to a paleo/primal woe, it's best to limit such treats and start retraining your palate.
  • erinkate86
    erinkate86 Posts: 5 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Thanks! I'm more interested in things for my kids and guests. I'm 3 weeks in and not really craving carbs or sugar anymore. I don't want my kids to feel like they are missing out on treats, but I don't want to give them store bought baked goods. We are also hosting 17 people for Thanksgiving and Christmas and I would like to have some healthy snacks or treats for them. I can't allow pumpkin pies and Christmas cookies in my house right now...too tempting.

I also have an 8-yr-old that will not eat eggs or meat for breakfast, so any alternative breakfast ideas would be helpful.
  • carolrosehill
    carolrosehill Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Delicious and healthy dessert is chocolate pudding made with avocado. We just blend an avocado in the food processor with a pinch of salt, a couple of tbs of cocoa powder, sugar free almond milk, and a tbs of organic local honey. It tastes and had the texture of a 'real' dessert and if you add some berries or cream on top, no one will ever leave the table feeling deprived.
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    cleaneatingmag.com/recipes/under-45-minutes/almond-butter-chocolate-chip-cookies/
    These are really good and you could probably substitute coconut palm sugar for the succanat. Even people that can eat regular flour cookies have enjoyed these. We have also used cashew butter to make them and that turned out even better I think.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Three point five years of experience speaking: "skip the Paleo substitutes". "Dessert" is fruit (assuming you can handle the carbs/sugar which I cannot). It makes me sad to see people starting out keep falling into the fancy schmancy Paleo treats that are just as processed as any of the other foods we are supposed to be avoiding. Simple whole foods is the idea behind Paleo. The substitutes can quickly lead back into poorer and poorer choices. Been there, repeatedly, and just coming out of my worst derailment ever.

But ignore negative nancy here; if ya wanna play with that stuff most Paleo recipe books are half full of those kinds of things. I threw those ones away and have just stuck with Well Fed and a few others that stick to keeping it simple and healthy. Google just about anything "Paleo x" and you will find many options as well.
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Three point five years of experience speaking: "skip the Paleo substitutes". "Dessert" is fruit (assuming you can handle the carbs/sugar which I cannot). It makes me sad to see people starting out keep falling into the fancy schmancy Paleo treats that are just as processed as any of the other foods we are supposed to be avoiding. Simple whole foods is the idea behind Paleo. The substitutes can quickly lead back into poorer and poorer choices. Been there, repeatedly, and just coming out of my worst derailment ever.

But ignore negative nancy here; if ya wanna play with that stuff most Paleo recipe books are half full of those kinds of things. I threw those ones away and have just stuck with Well Fed and a few others that stick to keeping it simple and healthy. Google just about anything "Paleo x" and you will find many options as well.

I generally agree, but for social situations and kids, one might make a less harmful exception. I do not promote nor subscribe to any of the Paleo-fied baking cookbooks, websites, etc. at all.
  • norcogrrl
    norcogrrl Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Honestly, for a situation where guests were being hosted I wouldn't worry about trying to substitute treats with "paleo" alternatives. I find that the K.I.S.S. nature of paleo is being completely lost with a lot the recipes I've read. I also think that these substitutes could also be "gateways" that lead one back to grains. These substitutions will never feel as satisfying, so why bother introducing them at all?

If you want your guests to have white dinner rolls, I'd just buy them white dinner rolls. If white dinner rolls would be too tempting for you, buy whole wheat rolls. Don't buy in excess so you hopefully won't have leftovers. If you have leftovers, send them home with guests.

If pumpkin pie would be too tempting for you, ban it from the house and buy apple.

Have you tried giving your son fruit for breakfast? Breakfast doesn't have to be about protein. A fruit salad or a couple of pieces of fruit is a wonderful way to start the day. If he is still eating dairy, you could add a bit of high-fat, tangy, plain, yogurt to berries and provide him with a satiating and delicious breakfast.
  • annk18
    annk18 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    bluefish86 wrote: »
    Are you looking specifically for dessert recipes?

I've used this recipe before to make mini-cakes for tea.... http://comfybelly.com/2009/04/fluffy-cupcakes/#.Vj8eurfhDIU It's good with homemade raspberry coulis or paleo banana ice-cream (which is basically just frozen bananas, blitzed until creamy).

I do understand the desire to find dessert alternatives (I use the recipe above for when we have guests and I want to make a sweet we can all enjoy) but I also agree with @newmeadow... if you're looking to commit to a paleo/primal woe, it's best to limit such treats and start retraining your palate.
    Delicious and healthy dessert is chocolate pudding made with avocado. We just blend an avocado in the food processor with a pinch of salt, a couple of tbs of cocoa powder, sugar free almond milk, and a tbs of organic local honey. It tastes and had the texture of a 'real' dessert and if you add some berries or cream on top, no one will ever leave the table feeling deprived.

• annk18
    annk18 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I tried the pudding yesterday. I was not satisfied with the results. How much of the unsweetened almond milk should you use? Maybe that is my mistake. also, has anyone tried using real vanilla?