What's your thoughts on exercis?

Options
ettaterrell
ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
Ok I hate cardio but have pulled my treadmill out and have it set up, when I started this journey after a couple weeks I decided I was going to do some strength training but my weight loss stopped so it has me scared now a couple months later I still haven't exercised, I'm loosing at least 2 lbs a week with out working out and I'm scared if I add cardio or strength back into my day it's going to stop or slow down. I have around 30 lbs more to go (20 down). What's your thoughts?

Replies

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Weight loss may slow down at first, but it mostly has to do with water retention, and that normalizes as you adapt to the exercise.

The other aspect is increased hunger with exercise. One interesting study found that you may be able to mitigate that with shorter sessions -- around 30 minutes seems to work well.

But I gotta tell you, I like the benefits. Increased strength, increased endurance, better body image, and I just plain feel a lot better with exercise.

And then there are the potential health benefits.

But maybe the coolest thing is that exercise and weight loss go together very well, and maybe not the way you thought. Exercise may not help weight loss very much. But weight loss makes exercise a lot easier. :)
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    I like to exercise. I kept experimenting and found things I enjoy doing. Walking and yoga are primary for me, but I'm slowly learning to enjoy bicycling.

Losing is great, but skinny-fat isn't. At some point, you'll need to tone and tighten the muscles you have, which will improve your shape. The number on the scale isn't the end goal; it's just a goal.
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    Exercise increases metabolism so you burn more calories during and after plus added bonus, endorphins! Got to love them. Muscle weighs more than fat but burns more than fat. Twice the density and a kilo of muscle needs calories to maintain it being there so great for maintaining weight and it looks great. If all that matters is your scale weight, then I can see why you may be reluctant but it will help there too.
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    I have come to believe that weight loss happens in the kitchen. Exercise is for health and vanity. Plan your journey around your own priorities and personal motivation. Then you will be successful in your own time in your own way.
    Some favor a well rounded, slower journey. I chose to focus on weight loss first, and exercise did slow that down for several reasons. (120 pounds) Now that I've lost it I'm working on toning, strength, and endurance. I am very happy with my choice and how it was right for me and that I was able to be successful. Good luck!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Exercise... In theory, it's great. ;)

I enjoy exercise if it is a game (basketball) or fun (like hiking). I used to LOVE running but that results in weeks of joint pain now.

I do enjoy weightlifting but those first weeks are tough. I feel unsure, self conscious, and always end up too sore.

I had big plans for regular exercise this summer, but it hasn't become regular yet.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    It's a habit like anything else. I found it difficult to form a weightlifting habit, so I just do body-weight exercises whenever I get the chance -- and you can do them pretty much anytime, anywhere.

It's easier to get into the running habit if you train for a 5K. Get some friends to sign up. Peer pressure. :)

And one thing specific to low-carbers: a lot of us are insulin resistant, even if we haven't been diagnosed. Exercise will help with that. If you used to get easily tired when doing yard work, for example, exercising while restricting carbs can fix that.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,059 Member
    Options
    I think weight loss happens mainly through food choices, and that is good, but I also want to improve my fitness.

It was hard for me at first, when I joined MFP 8 months ago, to make exercise part of my day. Not only was I out of shape, but I was heavier. I had a treadmill in my basement that I had not touched in years. But I made a decision to give it a try and now I am so glad I stuck with it. My endurance and speed have improved dramatically. I can see so many improvements in the way my body feels and functions. And now, I am itching to get out and walk, since I can't sit still with all the energy I have ! I miss my walks if the weather or my schedule don't allow me to get outside, but when that happens I will use the treadmill for even 15 or 20 minutes, every little bit helps I think. It is also a feel good kind of activity emotionally for me.
  • carolrosehill
    carolrosehill Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    They say losing weight makes you look good in your clothes, exercise makes you look good naked. Aside from the looking good, strength training is good for bone density, and there are a host of other physical and mental benefits to incorporating exercise. You can't out exercise a lousy diet, but it's a great complement to a healthy one and certainly an important part of an overall healthy lifestyle. Plus, what better 'reward' for your hard work dieting than to see some of the amazing things that your body can now do that you couldn't have imagined before.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Exercise is one of the primary joys of my life. No matter how down I can feel, exercise is something I can do that makes me feel like I've done something positive. Oh, and it's probably kept me slim over the years. I've been doing it since I was 4, so I don't know what things would be like without it.
  • knackeredat34
    knackeredat34 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I've exercised for years but it's not until I have had a grip on my food that I've managed to lose weight.
    Exercise is for mental health and body positivity, I love the achievement of getting better and good functional strength.
    Exercise makes me hungry but it means I can eat lots and still lose weight.
    When I don't exercise I make poor food choices.
    It's all about finding exercise you enjoy. Even if it's 10 minutes a day.
  • GBO323
    GBO323 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I'm all for exercise. I started with walking...it's free, easy, and a great fit for most people. Like Carol said, "They say losing weight makes you look good in your clothes, exercise makes you look good naked." Exercise makes me feel good after a stressful day as well.

We just moved from a house and downsized to an apartment so my treadmill had to go. Good thing for us is we now have a workout facility with 3 treadmills. We also have a dog that likes to walk...so that helps.

We were designed to eat and move. Food is fuel for movement and life. Weight loss is 90% nutrition/10% exercise, but the body needs to be in shape in order to function correctly.

Not to poke a bear, but I can tell when someone has lost quickly or had that "magic" surgery...they look sick and face is droopy. I don't want that.

+1 vote for exercise/MORE movement.
  • ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Ok I'm going to start small on the treadmill for awhile maybe the first of year I'll start on strength training thanks everyone for your advise!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    And don't forget, a good amount of exercise means you get to eat more :lol:
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Exercise increases metabolism so you burn more calories during and after plus added bonus, endorphins! Got to love them. Muscle weighs more than fat but burns more than fat. Twice the density and a kilo of muscle needs calories to maintain it being there so great for maintaining weight and it looks great. If all that matters is your scale weight, then I can see why you may be reluctant but it will help there too.

Hmmmmm, I'm 58 years old and have yet to experience the "endorphins". All I get is pain, soreness and increased hunger. Not saying that I don't do exercise, but that if I do, its gonna have to have a purpose or be fun.

Dan the Man from Michigan
    Keto / The Recipe Water Fasting / E.A.S.Y. Exercise Program
  • who4fan
    who4fan Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I am a strength training kind of girl. I don't want to wait until I reach my goal to tone up, I want to build muscle as I go. The number on the scale isn't important to me, getting smaller and leaner is and strength training is how I am achieving that. I also do cardio a few times a week.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    tsazani wrote: »
    Don't forget. "You can't exercise your way out of a bad diet."
    And don't forget, a good amount of exercise means you get to eat more :lol:

I've got my fitbit synced with MFP, so it makes it easier to know what I'm burning and how much more I can eat :smile:
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    DittoDan wrote: »

Hmmmmm, I'm 58 years old and have yet to experience the "endorphins". All I get is pain, soreness and increased hunger. Not saying that I don't do exercise, but that if I do, its gonna have to have a purpose or be fun.

My endorphins decrease with increasing fitness. But my dopamine reward system is wired for satisfaction the moment I can log my daily exercise, and dopamine is even better than endorphins.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    lithezebra wrote: »
    DittoDan wrote: »

My endorphins decrease with increasing fitness. But my dopamine reward system is wired for satisfaction the moment I can log my daily exercise, and dopamine is even better than endorphins.

Wish I could experience that too...

Dan