Ketogenic diets and antidepressants

lithezebra
lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
Has anyone on a ketogenic diet noticed an effect on antidepressant dosage or use?

Replies

• ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    I feel in last few weeks I needed to up mine! Very moody and short tempered.
  • V_Keto_V
    V_Keto_V Posts: 342 Member
    There is no change in liver enzyme substrate metabolism; no need to change dosage. The only links of the Keto diet related to "antidepressants" include effects on changing seizure threshold & exacerbating Syndrome of inappropriate arginine Vasopressor (anti diuretic hormone). Seizure threshold adverse reaction less likely with those meds more typical to cause seizures (bupropion, clomipramine & other tricyclic amines). SIAVP additive/increased risk of hyponatremia is often more problematic in elderly...more sodium.

Main keto diet-drug interactions to watch out for involve those capable of metabolic acidosis & carbonic Anhdrase inhibition...Metformin, Topiramate, salicylates, felbamate, zonisamide, brinzolamide, dorzolamide, metozolamide...additive for nephrolithiasis (kidney stones).
  • lithezebra
    edited November 2015
    Thank you, @V_Keto_V . That's interesting about vasopressin. I'll have to read up on that. I've certainly been peeing like there's no ADH.

I forgot to take my medications for about 5 days, because I'm not having my usual symptoms of not taking them, (and I like being free of the side effects so I "forget" to remember later unless I get those unpleasant feelings). Now that I've taken them again, just a normal dose of course, no extra, I'm feeling strangely hyper and elated, which isn't bad in itself, but I don't want to have an emotional crash or get really hyper. I just wondered if anyone has had needed to change things around at all to stay on an even keel.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    I'm always reluctant to tell people about this blog because she does some crazy self experimenting, but here it is:

http://itsthewooo.blogspot.com/

She's an RN with a pretty good handle on biochemistry. She does keto to control her depression as well as her leptin deficiency.

Dig in. Lots of good stuff. I read it purely for the entertainment value. :)
  • lithezebra
    Sounds like a good time to me, @wabmester !