6 Week Summary and Review

Options
tsazani
tsazani Posts: 830 Member
edited November 2015 in Social Groups
I just completed week 6 on LCHF. I started slow at 60/20/20. I'm currently at 75/10/15 but if I count NET carbs I'm really at 80/5/10. My daily net carbs are 30g.

My BG levels have responded nicely. FBG has gone from 120-130s to 95-105 levels. I've gone from serious post prandial BG spikes to none.

I've lost 11 lb and I'm within 11 lb of my goal weight of 190.

I'm exercising 6 days / week for 1hr / day. 2 hard resistance sessions (>80% MHR) and 4 moderate cardio sessions (70-75% MHR).

My meds are: metformin xr 2g with dinner, pravastatin 40 mg, losartan 100 mg, HCTZ 12.5 mg, ASA 81 mg, and coQ10 300 mg all taken at bedtime.

My main goal is to get my BG levels to as close to normal levels as possible. For me, that's 80-90 mg/dl. Today I walk around with BG levels of 90-105.

Concerns:

1. My BG spikes to 140 right after I do my hard exercise. It goes to 70 1 hr after. So for now I'm going to ignore it. I'm also going to slowly increase the intensity of my cardio sessions so they average > 75% MHR. Exercise lowers insulin resistance. For diabetics, I've come to the conclusion that hard exercise (80-90% MHR) is better than moderate exercise (70-80% MHR).

2. I have the dawn phenomena. My BG can spike anywhere from 10-20 mg/dl.

3. Ave BG levels of 90-105. I'd like to get them to 80-90.

Solutions:

1. I'm going to get labs on Nov 12 and see my PCP on Nov 19. He sees me every six months. My last A1C = 6.0 was done last Nov. I'm going to see if he can see me every 2 or 3 months instead.

2. I'm going to ask him to put me back on Actos 30 mg / day. I took it years ago but quit when the black box warning of bladder CA came out. If that's not successful I'm willing to increase my use of IR reducing meds like Januvia and Victosa. I'm also going to ask him if maybe I should be on a small dose of Levemir (long acting insulin) at bedtime if the Actos, Januvia, and Victosa don't get my FBG and basal BG to 80-90.

3. If my lipid profile improves, I'm going to see if it's a good idea to quit my statin and see if my IR improves with its removal.

Question to my friends here: anything else I should be thinking about?

Replies