Ketones + protein

Options
macchiatto
macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
I've been trying keto since Monday. (Before that I was doing 80-100 gm carbs/day so still low carb, but not as low.)

I had a bunch of Phinex urinalysis test strips on hand that I used to check for UTI's so I've been using them all week to check for ketones. I haven't gotten my carbs quite as low as my goal very often yet (usually around 40-50 gm total per day though yesterday it was just under 50 net) but my level of ketones has been the highest or second highest every morning. However, I've also noticed the test strips are positive for protein, either trace or the next level up. Is that a concern?

Replies

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    If the test is correct, it might be a concern. Ketosis does change uric acid and ammonia levels, so it depends on what compounds the strips are really detecting, but actual protein in the urine can be a sign of kidney problems.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    I need to keep my protein not over 70 grams daily to stay well into ketosis in my case. That is the reason I watch my protein.

After starting the Keto Way of Eating I have learned so many other things that I could do to become health. Over the last year I finally got my Vit D levels into the 90's after being in the 20's for years for example to reduce the risk of many diseases.