1st Triathlon - Results

Options
MDLNH
MDLNH Posts: 587 Member
My 1st Sprint Triathlon - "Official Results"

Overall Time - 1:51:40
**Swim (.33 miles) - 10:38 (*no wet-suit)
**Bike (16.5 miles) - 56:50 (*on a mountain bike)
**Run (5k) - 36:24 (*started to cramp-up around 2-miles, but pushed myself)
Place: 295th (*Age Division: 73rd)

What an amazing feeling of pride and satisfaction to have completed a triathlon - It was a fitness goal I had set for myself at the beginning of this year when I signed-up for it - Already looking to find more triathlons to compete in this year.

Swim: The water was warm (73 degrees) and in a lake. I had only done a practice "open water" swim a few days earlier. All of my training was done in a pool. Navigating the open water wasn't as much of an issue as I thought it was going to be, but I did find myself "looking-up" alot. I also stayed to the outside of the pack to avoid the crowds and getting kicked in the face. This turned out to be great advice. *I will also be getting a wet-suit for future events.

Cycling: I only have a moutain bike and I rode it hard. There were several hills and flats . . . not to many downhills. I live in the town where the race was held, so I had the chance to do a couple of "practice rides" before the event. Lots of people kept telling me how impressed they were with my speed and pace on a mountain bike. *I've been saving money towards a road bike and will be making the purchase soon. Can't wait to see & feel the differnece !!

Running: Let be honest - I Hate Running !!! I knew this would be my weakest stage and it turned out to be true. Despite the bricks I had done in preparaton, my legs began cramping around the 2 mile mark, which slowed down my pace. I kept going and with about 1/4 miles left and found the energy to finish strong at my full-pace as I crossed the finish line.

Take-Aways
* Work on my T1 and T2 times
* Better pre-race nutrition
* More brick training
* Purchase a wet-suit and a road bike

Thanks to everyone in this community for your support and all the great posts !!!

*if you were a friend and got dropped, MFP has been acting weird lately - not my fault ;-)

Replies

• jentris
    jentris Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Great race report!

So, are you hooked?!

:)
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Dude. Nice race!

If you know for a fact you're already hooked (I knew for a fact I was hooked as soon as I crossed my first finish line), then you may want to seriously consider a tri bike vs/ a road bike. Just a thought.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Well done!

Swimming is my worst event.. :sad:

One of the most surprising things I saw at my first was the variety of bikes people were riding, everything from really sleek custom Tri bikes to hybrids/commuters and mountain bikes. I use my road bike for commuting & racing, the geometry on a tri bike is a bit different, IIRC they're supposed to derive more power from your quads saving your hamstrings for the run but I haven't won the lotto yet.

Sounds like you're hooked!
  • VeeBethTris
    VeeBethTris Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!! Thanks for sharing :)
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Congrats! My wife and I just completed our first as well - a full Olympic. For some long, but (hopefully) entertaining, reading, you can se my blog (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/TaxEsquire/view/i-am-a-triathlete-race-day-547173). Best wishes on your next one as well - I can't wait for mine!
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I hope to complete my first next year!
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, again! That's a very respectable finish time, especially for your first one! And don't get too down about the run - it was tough in that heat. I had a good pace going for the first two miles, and then fell apart in the last mile. The important thing is that you accomplished something pretty impressive. And I expect you'll be much more confident going into your next one :)
  • MDLNH
    MDLNH Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody . . . I'm looking forward to my next one :-)

*and yeah I'm defintely hooked !!!
  • Cgirlish
    Cgirlish Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    awesome
  • EnduranceGirl2
    EnduranceGirl2 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Sounds like a great experience. Keep in mind you can also rent wetsuits either online or from a tri-shop if there's one near you. This may help you decide what you want when you're ready to buy (i.e. sleeves/sleeveless, fit around the neck, etc.) Have you picked out your next race yet? :smile:
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Awesome, awesome job!
  • michelelash
    michelelash Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    That's an amazing time for a mountain bike. When you get your road bike, you're gonna fly!
  • mleech77
    mleech77 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    That's awesome, way to go! Welcome to the addiction, please turn in all credit cards to someone else now so as to avoid impulse buys for triathlon "needs".