When others disapprove

Options
2»

Replies

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I just tell people that everything they believe about health and nutrition is wrong. And, for that, I do mean just about everything. They'll usually try to tell me otherwise. But, I don't really give it much mind. I just point out that eating vegetables made me sick and unhealthy. They'll tell me it wasn't the vegetables. It was something else. I'll smile and nod. I don't give them much to work with.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    So true @Fit_Goat! I'm now working with medical professionals, again, who believe the myth too! I'm seeing almost every patient over a certain age is taking all of the medicines too! It's hard for me to not say something.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    So true @Fit_Goat! I'm now working with medical professionals, again, who believe the myth too! I'm seeing almost every patient over a certain age is taking all of the medicines too! It's hard for me to not say something.

I can't even imagine! My daughter was volunteering at a retirement home recently and a man there had a recent amputation from diabetic neuropathy and is also an Alzheimer's patient. She came home telling me about what their dinner was that night and how completely loaded with carbs it was and how there was dessert. It was a ridiculous amount of carbs! Like, bread and pasta with chocolate cake or something. Even my kid found herself feeling bad about it.
  • carom
    carom Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    carlsoda wrote: »
    I just tell people I don't eat anything with sugar in it! That has solved all my problems with co-workers, opinionated adult children and such :)

Same! Just NO sugar. Although there were a few raised eyebrows when I put butter on my steak on Saturday, but then they all scoffed down sticky date pudding I made them and when I didn't, nobody said a thing :)
  • carom
    carom Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    It's quite frankly none of their business. I had my vegan SIL ask me at a family thing how I could possibly expect to be healthy without fruit and grain in my diet. I asked her how she could possibly expect to be healthy without food in her diet. She shut up. She gave me the "cats bum" face for a while, but I don't care.

lol :)
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    When people notice my weight loss I usually begin by saying I changed my diet to treat my prediabetes. If the ask more I tell them it is a low carb diet, but I've already told them that I did this to improve my health so if they question more I just tell them it is working. It's pretty obvious that I'm healthier now so most let it go.
    ki4eld wrote: »
    If anyone asks, I explain nicely and in non-geek terms. If they have a perplexed look, I toss out "135lbs lost, normal cholesterol levels, normal cardiac function, and I can bench press 170lbs." And then they shut up and go away.

If they continue to say stupid things, I use sarcasm to keep from killing them. I just look at them like they're a toddler and say slowly, "Would you like me to draw you a picture or should I explain it again more slowly? Because... science." And that usually shuts them up. If they're going to say stupid things, I can't be responsible for my facial expressions or comments. I'm only human.

Then again, I have an amazing RBF, so pretty much no one questions me about anything. Those that do know me don't want me to let the b*tch flow, so they stay off my case too.

Oooh, you can bench press 170!?! Whoa... *Bowing down before you in awe*
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

As a one-time bench, yes.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I'm new to keto but I did a different low-carb diet (Dukan, though I was a bit "loose" about lean proteins and nonfat dairy so it was higher fat than classic Dukan) several years ago. It helped me finally lose 10% of my body weight (the last of my pregnancy weight gain), reverse my prediabetes, and drop my triglycerides from 217 to 52. My HDL went up and total cholesterol went down. I've explained those results when explaining my low-carb diet in the past.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    ki4eld wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »

As a one-time bench, yes.

*still bowing down in awe*
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    deksgrl wrote: »
    She gave me the "cats bum" face for a while, but I don't care.

I've never heard that expression before, but it literally made me LOL. :D
    google image has me in stitches here....

• DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    camtosh wrote: »
    deksgrl wrote: »
    She gave me the "cats bum" face for a while, but I don't care.

I've never heard that expression before, but it literally made me LOL. :D
    google image has me in stitches here....

jcyq8vqr6yuq.png
    vlbefuj0mnoj.pngzo65vocs54ea.png

LOL! I never heard that before either....

I hope this helps,
    Dan the Man from Michigan
    Keto / The Recipe Water Fasting / E.A.S.Y. Exercise Program
    Current weight: 194.9, 119 pounds down, 16 to go. 14 months on diet
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Hahaha yeah. I just remember my Dad saying it when I was a kid, it's the face my Mum used to get when someone was having fun or doing something she didn't approve of. :)
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    3 weeks in and I found I tend to say my doctor has told me to eat no sugar. It is both the truth and gets way less angst from Arm chair experts than I don't eat sugar does.
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Two of my friends at work were eating salads today for lunch. (greens with chick peas, carrots, bulgur wheat).
    I brought in my 6.2 oz of NY strip sirloin from last night and added a butter pad. They both looked at me and said, "I thought you were on a diet?" I said, "I am". They just looked at each other and rolled their eyes.. HAHAHA.
    1ti8j431nx4t.gif

• Lillith32
    Lillith32 Posts: 483 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Today at lunch one of my coworkers looked at my little bowl o' mascarpone cheese... went, eeew, what's that, looks like butter. I told him, pretty close, and it's exceptionally delicious. And then we talked about running and working out.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    slimzandra wrote: »
    Two of my friends at work were eating salads today for lunch. (greens with chick peas, carrots, bulgur wheat).
    I brought in my 6.2 oz of NY strip sirloin from last night and added a butter pad. They both looked at me and said, "I thought you were on a diet?" I said, "I am". They just looked at each other and rolled their eyes.. HAHAHA.
    1ti8j431nx4t.gif

Lol
    Silly girl, don't you know that will make you fat?