Do you track calories with your clean eating?

Options
dietbepsi
dietbepsi Posts: 136 Member
I really am trying to do this approach it differently been in the past. I've always been able to lose weight mostly with low-carb, but know that I'm 40 I really feel like my body has changed. I need to take better care of myself and eat much better. I also need to lose about 25 pounds. It's really hard for me to have the mentality that it's OK to eat carbs to lose weight but I'm really trying to make that shift. How has that worked for everyone? With eating clean and losing weight? Also do you track your daily calories or do you just focus more on eating clean and not writing it all down? Thank you so much for any tips!

Replies

• martabeerich
    martabeerich Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Low carb didn't work well for me. I didn't like how I felt, and fundamentally I don't feel it's a healthy option. Cutting back on processed foods, dairy, and fat, with a huge focus on portion size and not drinking my calories, is how I lose weight and feel good. My mantra is to be as plant based as possible. 3 to 4 small meals a day. Quality of food over quantity. Since June I've lost 45 pounds, with another 45 to go. I say I'm vegetarian, but about 2,3 times a month I will have fish. (So, part time pescatarian, but many people don't know the word, so I short hand to "vegetarian".) I TRACK EVERYTHING EAT. I'm a fanatical measurer, as my personal accountability requires it. I read these forums for ideas and to keep focused. At my highest weight I weighed 400 lbs. I am determined to be healthy, active and energetic as I roll through my 50s and beyond. Right now I feel fabulous.
  • dietbepsi
    dietbepsi Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    That is so encouraging to hear :) I agree that fundamentally it truly isn't the right way to eat. I just find that otherwise I get calorie obsessed. In my heart I know clean eating is the right choice I just need to commit to that and force out of my head that low carb is the only option for me.
    PS. I do know what pescatarian is lol
  • suzan06
    suzan06 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I am vegetarian, so low carb has never been a great option for me, lol. I really only eat whole grains, and the biggest thing for me is to limit sugar. I eat pretty much however much fat I want (within calorie goals) and whatever whole grains I want, but I try to vary the grains- not just all bread, mix in some oatmeal, some rice, etc.

Like I said, sugar is the big thing I notice- I love sweets and will go crazy on them. If I count calories and limit the sweets (still eat them- but if I am staying within a calorie goal they go down by necessity!) I lose. And I kind of "reset" my sweet intake so that even if I go off off counting calories, I don't pick up eating a ton of sugar.
  • martinez785
    martinez785 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi there I eat clean but yes I used measuring cups in all the food I eat it's a better understanding for me and I put them in Contenders so it helps me better plan and if I go hungry I drink coconut water it helps alot
  • squeeeyk
    squeeeyk Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I have to say I track only occasionally. I know I should probably track more consistently, but I have done this kind of thing on and off for several years and find I rarely stick to anything if I feel like I have to track everything. I end up feeling pressured and then just fall off the wagon. Since I switched to clean eating, it's been so much better and less stressful, so I tend to eat clean until I'm no longer hungry. I've been working hard to start listening to myself and understating my hunger and thirst cues.
  • sarahlynwalters
    sarahlynwalters Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have tried everything, even weight watchers and found that what works long term for me is not tracking.
    Instead I eat very low carb, high non starchy and low(er) sugar fruit (grapefruits, berries etc..) and moderate amounts of good fats. I feel full this way and don't have the cravings that I used to. Tracking makes me crazy!
  • hillsarah81
    hillsarah81 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Different people respond in different ways to the higher fat/lower carbohydrate lifestyle. I am currently in college and have to work with our cafeteria to dry look for nutrient-dense foods instead of 'empty calories'. I'm also doing my final research project on high fat diets and performance. There's a lot of new studies coming out that are encouraging this way for those who are going long hours without accessibility to foods. It took me a bit to adapt to the higher-fat meal plan. And when I say fat, I'm talking eggs, avocado, extra virgin olive oil, almonds, chickpeas, beans, and organic nut butters. Fueling yourself is important, and the body takes time to change. On a performance perspective, I am fueled for longer, without the 'crash' feeling you get when your sugar levels go down. Increasing the fat and eating clean (being extremely careful with sugar, especially with the 'American Diet') can be a sustainable lifestyle choice, depending on your personal day to day activities. We're all genetically made up with predispositions to react in certain ways to food. It's all about understanding your own reactions and incorporating ways to add things into your diet that help, and REPLACING (not taking away) unnecessary items with more nutrient-dense foods. The less processed the better, the less ingredients the better, and the closer you get to raw, fresh vegetables, the better your body with digest it. Try something for a couple weeks, and record how you feel whilst eating within your calorie guidelines. You will feel your body adjust and then you can either try the next thing, or continue for what works for you.
  • JLB645
    JLB645 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I would love to say I don't need to track calories but the truth is without tracking my portion sizes increase and I tend to sneak in some snacks. It's easy to think that the food we are eating is so healthy surely there is no need to track. I have a thyroid autoimmune disease and my doctor has asked me to track calories everyday with an average daily allowance of 1000. Some weeks I'm better at this than others. :*
  • kimondo666
    kimondo666 Posts: 194 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    JLB645 wrote: »
    I would love to say I don't need to track calories but the truth is without tracking my portion sizes increase and I tend to sneak in some snacks. It's easy to think that the food we are eating is so healthy surely there is no need to track. I have a thyroid autoimmune disease and my doctor has asked me to track calories everyday with an average daily allowance of 1000. Some weeks I'm better at this than others. :*

JLB this book might interest you "Fasting And Eating For Health" - by Joel Furhman, he wrote about diet changes needed in some of autoimmune diseases and potential casues of it. What to eat and what to avoid. I Don't remember if he wrote about thyroid though. But this good knowledge.

Nope i don't track calories anymore, i just choose optimal food with lot of fiber. I'm vegan btw. If i crave sweets then i eat dried fruits ( still better than pure sugar).
  • JLB645
    JLB645 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks Kimondo666 for the book recommendation I'm going to take a look.
  • 68myra
    68myra Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    i still have to track calories, or the next thing i know.... half a pound of almonds are GONE! (i once ate an entire jar of almond butter in TWO days, yikes!)
  • Notreadytoquit
    Notreadytoquit Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in fad diets. My Dad ate candy and anything he wanted unabandondedly then tried to diet it off for 40 years. Most memorable diets ... Roast Beef Diet & the Grapefruit Diet. Ironically at the age of 86 he lost 70#s on South Beach Diet, but there are consequences to weight loss without an exercise component.

Been around long enough to see official dietary guidelines flip flop too often. There comes a time when intuition should take over regarding what type of diet fuels your daily activities best.

I view food as fuel and medicine. Keep an eye on preset diary categories, but track fiber, water, protein, calcium, potassium and vitamins, trying to hit my goals each day. There have been numerous times when I needed to lose weight and I always counted calories using books and journals. MFP offers so much more information than calorie counts, weight & burns and is much easier.
  • NotGnarly
    NotGnarly Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I eat clean and don't track calories at all. Eating clean gives me the metabolism of a normal person. Basically I feel like a fat burning machine because my leptin signals actually work and tell me when I'm full or hungry. We eat lots of fruits, veggies, bread, pasta, sugar,etc all are certified organic. You can only eat so much sugar before it starts to taste disgusting.

The thing that works for me is avoiding alcohol, msg, high fructose corn syrup, artificial sweeteners, and processed foods. We still eat French fries but they are home made with organic ingredients. We just cook everything ourselves and rarely eat out. Maybe I could lose faster if I tracked but honestly I'd much rather just do these basic things and not obsess.

Will soon be growing our own organic produce to save money and possibly raising our own organic chickens. I think this way of eating is why obesity wasn't rampant back then. They didn't use as many chemicals on the food and majority of the meals were cooked at home.
  • andyluvv
    andyluvv Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I have tried everything, even weight watchers and found that what works long term for me is not tracking.
    Instead I eat very low carb, high non starchy and low(er) sugar fruit (grapefruits, berries etc..) and moderate amounts of good fats. I feel full this way and don't have the cravings that I used to. Tracking makes me crazy!

I tried slimming world at first and lost 5 stone doing it. I've been logging for ages but I've kinda stopped it.
    I try to follow the SW guidelines and the Volumetrics diet. It's also similar to this video I watched recently, and honestly, I think it's the best advice I've ever heard. I'm a grazer so I keep veggies and berries in the fridge for when I feel like eating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqhYBTg73fw
  • sarahlynwalters
    sarahlynwalters Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    awesome video!
  • JoJoMee15
    JoJoMee15 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Fantastic video, very very good points raised. Thanku x
  • thisnursewillbehot
    Options
    Great video. I'm sharing this with my hubby who is finally on board. That makes it sooooo much easier for ME to get going again!
  • WeaselbeanzMum
    WeaselbeanzMum Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    About two weeks ago I stopped calorie counting, while still eating clean (My clean is paleo. Meaty and greasy with no obvious starches, no grains, no added sugar of any kind - my kinda clean). And my weight loss has officially stalled! I'm going to have to start weighing, measuring and counting again. Dang.

Hey, I eat clean (also paleo) and for the first 40lb never had to think about calorie counting. I'm down now to the last 5lbs and they are taking an AGE! I worked out that the only way to unblock was to go back to my ideal lb x 11% and use that as a calorie target - just to make sure my almond and sunflower seed 'snacks' are not oversized for the size I am now. Stick at it - it's just a little fine tuning! :smile:

@dietbepsi - Yes you can absolutely eat clean and dropping weight really is a doddle (definitely with paleo!), but you do have to keep an eye on portion size! For me, eating clean means a huge amount of home cooking. I have no problem with that, but I have always 'guess-timated' the calories which, tbh, is a dangerious strategy. The create your own recipe feature in MFP allows you to plug in your own recipes exactly and will give you proper nutritional information - this is THE most valuable addition I have found to clean eating in a long time :smile:

Good luck!!
  • andyluvv
    andyluvv Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Great video. I'm sharing this with my hubby who is finally on board. That makes it sooooo much easier for ME to get going again!

personally It makes it easier for me.
    I find that by eating lots of vegetables, even when I'm super hungry I'm not over indulging and I don't feel like I'm restricting - just making a better choice. So I don't feel bad or like I'm forcing myself into a diet.
    I've mostly eliminated refined sugars and carbs from my diet. I'll have the odd slice of bread, but will try to eat mostly protein and vegetables. The only thing I have to keep at it is fat as it's also necessary for the body.

Having said that, totally over indulged with the festivities but as the video says - it's the overall diet that counts. So two days of over indulgence won't really break a cycle of a month or more.