The Climate Agenda Behind the Bacon Scare

Options

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Wow. I would be really curious to try that. Locust cinnamon waffles... Cricket blueberry muffins... It's expensive though. I'll keep my eye open for some small amount around here to try. Maybe.

Now a butter bar, that sounds like an excellent idea! :)
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Wow. I would be really curious to try that. Locust cinnamon waffles... Cricket blueberry muffins... It's expensive though. I'll keep my eye open for some small amount around here to try. Maybe.

Now a butter bar, that sounds like an excellent idea! :)

I posted the pic in the photo sharing thread too but here's the butter bar. This store is crazy. There's lots of cool stuff you all would probably enjoy. I should get some more pics next time.
    5o1e9bxsg71x.jpeg
    Of course, they seem to be confused... Butter goes on steak. Why would anyone waste it on bread?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    drool.gif

Exactly! Butter is best on a steak!!
  • Lillith32
    Lillith32 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    lithezebra wrote: »
    Lillith32 wrote: »
    I have nothing against bugs, but I would probably attempt to cultivate poultry, fish and rabbits. I am aware of the fat profile, but that can be supplemented with vegetable sources of fat, coconut butter, nuts, avocados, etc. @lithezebra , I have survivalist tendencies as well, which is why I actually thought this out. There are hydroponic setups that allow you to grow tilapia and veggies. Chickens would be a good investment as a fertilizer as well as a source of eggs and meat. Rabbits are apparently insanely easy to breed, grow fast, and you can use their skin to make stuff.
    Also I am not worried about greedy neighbors after many years in the military. I got a fix for that too.

Thanks, I was trying to actually appear sane, not as a crazy prepper, but I guess that cover is blown, lol.

Come be my neighbor. We can pool our ammo, and use solar power to run my sewing machine, to make rabbit fur bikinis.

Yesssss. Rabbit fur bikini for the win. Let's do it. But you may want to move here, it's warmer here and we get two growing seasons. Also, we get fresh fish.

Fish fur bikini.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I have nothing against bugs, but I would probably attempt to cultivate poultry, fish and rabbits. I am aware of the fat profile, but that can be supplemented with vegetable sources of fat, coconut butter, nuts, avocados, etc. @lithezebra , I have survivalist tendencies as well, which is why I actually thought this out. There are hydroponic setups that allow you to grow tilapia and veggies. Chickens would be a good investment as a fertilizer as well as a source of eggs and meat. Rabbits are apparently insanely easy to breed, grow fast, and you can use their skin to make stuff.
    Also I am not worried about greedy neighbors after many years in the military. I got a fix for that too.

Thanks, I was trying to actually appear sane, not as a crazy prepper, but I guess that cover is blown, lol.

Come be my neighbor. We can pool our ammo, and use solar power to run my sewing machine, to make rabbit fur bikinis.

Yesssss. Rabbit fur bikini for the win. Let's do it. But you may want to move here, it's warmer here and we get two growing seasons. Also, we get fresh fish.

Fish fur bikini.

Fish leather is actually useful, and pretty. Perfect. I've been wanting to get out of California. Are you sure it's warmer in IL? Doesn't it snow?
  • Lillith32
    Options
    @lithezebra, Illinois and I parted ways about a year ago. I am a proud resident of South Florida.
  • who4fan
    who4fan Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    You folks are waaay more adventurous than I! Thinking I will stay with more conventional meats even if the price goes up!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing the link.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Cricket flour is pricey!
    That bag is $49.00! And I think it's on sale!
    zsouvj5sgyot.jpeg
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    You can order at half that price from the maker direct. And choose from a variety of bugs. Scorpion flour?? http://www.thailandunique.com/
  • lithezebra
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Forty nine dollars, or half price - pffft! You can raise your own crickets.

http://www.insectsarefood.com/recipes.html

I love this group. Nowhere else in my life can I share cricket recipes.
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Actually, my 80-something mother-in-law once told me about how, as a child in Niigata, she and her siblings were sent out into the rice fields with nets to scoop up crickets for the family's dinner table. Nowadays, the soy-sauce boiled ones are still available in some markets: http://jonellepatrick.me/2013/04/25/ill-take-a-pound-of-the-cricket-snacks-please/
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Nope, no bugs for me, but I'm enjoying the thread! You guys rock!!
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I would LOVE to eat bugs if they were readily available in my area and the quality was assured! (says the girl who eats pork even though she can't find pastured pigs anywhere...)
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    It would be much more than $49 if I had to catch the crickets. :)
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

I have a thing about raising crickets, mainly because they can live outside of the enclosure, posing a risk of a cricket invasion of your house/property. I've heard some nasty horror stories, too. Plus, they smell and are noisy.

I've raised Dubia roaches before, though. They're really easy, especially if you're not in a tropical area (where they can live outside). Here in Ohio, once winter hits, they die off if they escape. They also don't fly and can't climb smooth surfaces, so they're not likely to escape, and if they do, they won't get far. I'm not sure about eating them, though. They're edible, but....they're roaches. And crunchy, chitinous suckers.
  • Lillith32
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »

I have a thing about raising crickets, mainly because they can live outside of the enclosure, posing a risk of a cricket invasion of your house/property. I've heard some nasty horror stories, too. Plus, they smell and are noisy.

I've raised Dubia roaches before, though. They're really easy, especially if you're not in a tropical area (where they can live outside). Here in Ohio, once winter hits, they die off if they escape. They also don't fly and can't climb smooth surfaces, so they're not likely to escape, and if they do, they won't get far. I'm not sure about eating them, though. They're edible, but....they're roaches. And crunchy, chitinous suckers.

Yikes! I think I'll wait for that cricket meal to go down in price and eat that. Insects in general creep me out, but I'll gladly eat them in powdered form.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »

Ewwwwwwwww
  • wtskinner
    wtskinner Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I haven't read the article, but I've been assuming for some time that meat and animal source foods are going to become increasingly expensive commodities, as population increases, and the need to get the most value from agricultural land becomes more critical.

This will ultimately make it more difficult for those of us who are insulin resistant. Meat is already more expensive than eating processed crap and grain products. Having meat available certainly provides a decent amount of food choices to those who have metabolic challenges.
  • lithezebra
    Options
    wtskinner wrote: »
    I haven't read the article, but I've been assuming for some time that meat and animal source foods are going to become increasingly expensive commodities, as population increases, and the need to get the most value from agricultural land becomes more critical.

This will ultimately make it more difficult for those of us who are insulin resistant. Meat is already more expensive than eating processed crap and grain products. Having meat available certainly provides a decent amount of food choices to those who have metabolic challenges.

Yes, eating meat is not solely a matter of personal preference. I don't think I'll be annoying any vegetarians in this group by saying that it's clear that a vegetarian diet is likely to be low in some essential nutrients and that a vegan diet is worse. For people who need a low carb diet, I don't see how anyone could do it as a vegan without using supplements, since even the most protein rich plant based foods are still about 50% carbohydrate.

I'm perfectly happy to eat farmed fish, to help the planet. I don't want to give up daily meat.