Strength Standards

I only started training 5/6 weeks ago, using Stronglifts 5x5 3 times a week, but I'm already interested in where I could potentially get to.

Looking at the strength standards here:

http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/StrengthStandards.html

The descriptions of "novice", "intermediate" etc seem to imply that everyone can get to these standards given appropriate lengths of training - is this true? At what point do genetics/other factors come into play and determine the ultimate 1RM of an individual?

And as a true beginner where should I be setting my short term goals (I'm thinking within 3 - 6 months as I will have had a decent length of time to reach maxes in stronglifts and hopefully break through a few times) - or is this even possible?

You can tell me to go and lift some weights and stop thinking about this :D, stupid performance driven life is ruining me!

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    There will be some genetic/other component from the beginning. One component, at least in part, is how much you're eating. For instance - someone on a cut (especially if the cut is aggressive) is considerably less likely to be able to increase/reach his/her 1RM as opposed to someone eating at a surplus (or even maintenance). Really, I wouldn't worry about it yet, unless you're at a point where you can't advance. Then, take a look at what all is going on.

As far as short term goals go, I'd say they (for the most part) are the same for a beginner as an advanced lifter. 5-10 more pounds on each lift. Or, depending upon programming, 1-2 more reps and/or sets per lift. Again, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Make sure your form is good and keep progressing. Ultimately, short term goals should be simply to progress next time out.

Now, since you gave us permission - go and lift some weights. :smiley:
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    I hate to generalize to such a large degree but after looking at those numbers, I'd say that yes, an average person of average genetics, age, health etc should be able to reach the listed elite level in their lifetime (if that is their goal). Obviously being at an advanced age, injuries, medical problems etc will affect this negatively.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    I'll add with consistent training.

Like when they discuss lengths of time to determine your level - that's with serious training during that time period - not half-hearted off and on workouts.

Like I could say I'm easily advanced with the years I've lifted.

Except every spring the endurance cardio takes over and the lifting is almost relegated to once weekly because of primary focus.

By end of summer and several races in fall, there is no more lifting until winter kicks in again. And if I get too pushy and injure myself early that is delayed too for some time. As I get older, the muscle are eager and willing, the tendons/ligaments not so much, especially around old injuries/surgeries.

In that case, I'm lucky to hit intermediate level weights by the end of winter again.

And for my current goals - that's fine with me.
  • StephieWillcox
    StephieWillcox Posts: 627 Member
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    I hate to generalize to such a large degree but after looking at those numbers, I'd say that yes, an average person of average genetics, age, health etc should be able to reach the listed elite level in their lifetime (if that is their goal). Obviously being at an advanced age, injuries, medical problems etc will affect this negatively.

Well that's the answer I was hoping for so I'll take it!

And thanks @TR0berts & @heybales - not a problem on the food front, 8 month old baby and no sleep makes me EAT and EAT and EAT. Training will certainly not be suffering due to lack of food for sometime yet!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Well, the "no sleep" part may (read: almost definitely will) have a negative impact.