Carbs on workout days?

Options
CC2435
CC2435 Posts: 21 Member
edited November 2015 in Social Groups
I've been eating lchf a couple weeks now and love it! My only issue is that when I eat a few more carbs, I almost cannot stop eating them! I thought I needed more carbs on days I planned on working out, but the craving are ridiculously strong.

Daily carb intake is usually around 30 grams. Yesterday I bumped it up, but ate closer to 50grams of carbs from candy bars haha it was terrible. Should I worry about trying to cycle carbs to work out?

Replies

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Noooooooooo! :)

I will sometimes use workouts to burn off carbs, but I never need to fuel a workout with carbs.

Do you think our caveman ancestors carb-loaded before a hunt? You will adapt to exercise while being carb restricted, and the results are pretty cool. It may kick your butt for a few weeks, but give it a shot!
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    Noooooooooo! :)

I will sometimes use workouts to burn off carbs, but I never need to fuel a workout with carbs.

Do you think our caveman ancestors carb-loaded before a hunt? You will adapt to exercise while being carb restricted, and the results are pretty cool. It may kick your butt for a few weeks, but give it a shot!

+1
  • CC2435
    Options
    Ok, I asked because last time that I lifted heavy weights, I was totally wiped out and couldn't lift like before, so I freaked out a little. My bodyfat% measured the same but had lost 8 lbs from my starting weight, then freaked out even more thinking that all I lost was water and muscle!
  • CC2435
    Options
    Looking back, I probably hadn't adapted yet. I was only a week in, if that much.I'm going back to vlchf, less cravings .
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I remember those first few weeks. I was ready to dial 911.

Get plenty of sodium, especially if you feel light-headed, lethargic, or have a mild headache.

The adaptation is kind of slow and gradual, but at least one study suggests that it goes faster with intense exercise. 3-4 weeks will usually do it. Sometimes shorter. Sometimes longer.
  • CC2435
    Options
    I'll stick with it as long as you promise there is a light at the end of the tunnel! Thanks for advice everyone!
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I haven't needed extra carbs, at all. I've been getting 30-40 grams of net carbs. I've gotten freakishly energetic since day 3 of ketosis, when I added salt. It's almost worrisome, like I have an adrenaline producing tumor that keeps me going all the time.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Have a look at these FAQ items from the wonderful DarthLuiggi of Ketogains -- https://www.reddit.com/r/ketogains/wiki/index#wiki_keto_will_damage_my_explosive_abilities_and_strength_performance (the linked one and the two after it).

The whole thing is an awesome resource, but those three are the most pertinent to this discussion.