Salt taste in my mouth

pwrfl1
pwrfl1 Posts: 673 Member
So I'm fairly new to keto, but lately I wake up and go through the day feeling like I have salt in my mouth. What is this ? Should I be doing something different ? Thank you in advance!

Replies

• lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    I had some odd metallic flavor in my mouth, early on. I can't tell you for certain what causes it, however, being in ketosis means there are ketones in your blood, and they can cause some odd tastes and smells, as well as being excreted in urine.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Probably acetone, but I've never heard it described as "salty."

The first week or so can be weird. Ever read Kafka's The Metamorphosis? :)
  • pwrfl1
    lithezebra wrote: »
    I had some odd metallic flavor in my mouth, early on. I can't tell you for certain what causes it, however, being in ketosis means there are ketones in your blood, and they can cause some odd tastes and smells, as well as being excreted in urine.
    . Thanks, it's good to know that other people experienced similar things.

• pwrfl1
    wabmester wrote: »
    Probably acetone, but I've never heard it described as "salty."

The first week or so can be weird. Ever read Kafka's The Metamorphosis? :)
    . Guess you could describe it as metallic , I guess I hadn't really thought about it. There are lots of changes going on, but can't say I'm feeling like I turned into a bug...it hasn't been that bad !!!! Hahaha !

• daylitemag
    daylitemag Posts: 604 Member
    I find something similar. I think it is the acetone, but also simply a matter of not eating as often. With very little going into the old gob it just feels and tastes different.