It didn't kick my butt

Options
siany01
siany01 Posts: 319 Member
I did stage one workout A3 today and found that it didn't kick my butt as much as it was. I was still working hard and upped my weights a bit today but I didn't walk away from it feeling like I had worked to my max.

I was thinking that now might be a good time to introduce some cardio back into the game once or twice a week. I know he says in the book to wait until stage 2 so not sure if this is the best thing to do or not?

Anyone else added some cardio this early on in the program?

Replies

• mrs_mab
    mrs_mab Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I am in my 4th week now, and just added my cardio sessions back in today.....I am LOVING the muscle that's developing, so does the hubby! :bigsmile:

However, I still have some fat to lose that is covering up that muscle so I feel I am ready to add some short cardio sessions back in on Tue & Thurs. I am not new to lifting, it's just been a while since I've done it so I don't feel I will harm anything since I already know the lifts & proper form. I have also added some small bursts of cardio toward the end of my lifting workouts to get my HR up a bit more.....just some speed rope & squat punches, etc. Today I did 3 min spin sprint w/ slight climb, 50 speed ropes, 30' bear crawl, 50 E2K (25 each side) & 15 butt lifts. I did 3 rounds of that in 20 mins with little to no rest between exercises or between each round. Kind of a spin off my husbands Cross Fit workouts.... just pick 3-5 exercises do them consecutively w/ little to no rest between exercises & rounds, 3-5 rounds and no matter what goal you set, like Cross Fit, finish all of the rounds/sets. Then on weekends we typically hike as a family or are doing something outdoors.....

I say go for it, as long as it's not going to affect your recovery. :happy:
  • hskriver
    hskriver Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I just finished workout B3 today and had a very similar feeling - definitely still worked hard, but it did not kick my butt nearly as bad as the first 2 times I did each workout.

I've still been incorporating running each week after my lifting sessions and haven't had problems with doing that. In fact, I ran a lot faster than expected after today's lifting session (only ran 2 miles though, so didn't need to reign myself in as much). I'm primarily a runner and run 20+ miles a week, so it is probably a little easier for me since my body is pretty well adapted to it.
  • samgolod
    samgolod Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    bump
  • siany01
    siany01 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I think I am going to stick some hiit in after one of the weight sessions (can only do once on a Sat due to time) and do another on one of my rest days and do a steady state one on that day.

Though saying it didn't kick my butt my triceps are sore today. Only thing that is so not sure what I did to warrant them aching lol
  • mrs_mab
    mrs_mab Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I am sore as heck from yesterdays HIIT session.....the bear crawls got me bad! BUT I LOVE THE FEELING b/c I know my body is changing!!!! :happy:
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,001 Member
    Options
    I think it's fine to add back in some cardio - so long as you are making sure your body is "well-rested" between lifting sessions and that you are lifting as HEAVY as you can, during those lifting sessions, with PROPER FORM.