New South Beacher

Options
readeramm
readeramm Posts: 23 Member
My doctor recommended I try the South Beach diet. Three years I lost 80 pound and ended up gaining back 70 after an injury. I lost the weight by carefully tracking my food and exercising daily. The problem was that I was eating a lot of processed foods and was always hungry. The more I walked the hungrier I got, ate more and had to exercise more - vicious cycle. Was walking 5 miles a day during the week and 8-12 on weekends. When I broke my foot and couldn't exercise I fell off the wagon and gained most of it back.

My doctor thought that South Beach might be better for me as she said I would likely be less hungry by eliminating most sugar. I started at 267 and I walk 3 miles 6 days a week. MFP gives me 1500 calories with a target of 2 lbs per week.

I started 4 weeks ago. I've averaged 1300-1400 calories a day so I'm way under with the 300 calories I earn with my walking. Week 1 was great: 8 lbs. Week 2 was 1.7, Week 3 was 1.1 and week 4 was .4. I know it's early but not sure if I'm doing something wrong. Trying for lean proteins: fish, chicken. Having eggs, mayo, some nuts for fats. Could I be eating too much protein or too much fat even though my calories are low? I know Atkins folks lose weight with lots more fat and protein. I am staying on Phase 1 for another couple weeks in hoping of getting things kick-started as I have a long way to go.

If anyone is there with some experience can you take a look at my food diary and let me know if you see any reason why the weight loss would be so slow?

Thanks
Anne

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Have you read up on things? I'd be happy to look at your diary, be your pal etc.
    having a look now....

Can I ask a couple of questions?

First: what's that cute dog's name?
    We're dog lovers here.

Second: where are you with respect to menopause?

Third: I wouldn't fret fats so much. Dr. A. does that more because he's an old school cardiologist.

If it were me: I'd be thrilled at our age with your losses. I would NOT add back calories from exercise.
    I'd just consider them cushion. Recall that SBD doesn't require calorie counting. If you're doing it, that's in addition. Not bad, just extra.

See if you keep losing an average of 1Lb a week. Which is AWESOME at our age.

• readeramm
    readeramm Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    My cute dog is Sammy, a beagle whose joy in walking helps me get out there every day! I'm 52, just starting to transition into menopause. I know the battle gets tougher when we get older, I do have the book and understand I don't need to count calories but I am analytical so I when not losing weight at the rate I had hoped, I did want to look and see if I was doing something wrong that I could adjust. If you don't see any issues with my diet then I'll just carry on and appreciate that I'm losing slowly but without the hunger. Thanks
  • magic71755
    magic71755 Posts: 3,826 Member
    Options
    Reader ... welcome...and if you feel like it...do join us on the Strolling Thread. We post our menus daily...well, most of the time. Just the two of us and we sure would love your company.

I am going to do a tune up right after Thanksgiving and get back to very South Beach ... P1 never excites me until I am into it and feel the energy we get back. I just really do miss my fruit. But I can do this for two weeks for sure.

Sabine is everything nutrition...she is great to have along for the ride. Totally into the latest ...and will always help you out. Please join us on the Strolling Thread!

Later, mates.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    readeramm wrote: »
    My cute dog is Sammy, a beagle whose joy in walking helps me get out there every day! I'm 52, just starting to transition into menopause. I know the battle gets tougher when we get older, I do have the book and understand I don't need to count calories but I am analytical so I when not losing weight at the rate I had hoped, I did want to look and see if I was doing something wrong that I could adjust. If you don't see any issues with my diet then I'll just carry on and appreciate that I'm losing slowly but without the hunger. Thanks

If you're losing in menopause you're doing great!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    How's it going??